Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exhijet now suzuki carry project

+21
tornas
Raggy
andy pyke
Eightpot
mark81
Anne-Karina
Ryan 95
Timosaki
Lab_Rat835
8bit-ash
bushwhacker
d1noh
Manuel_nl
oldie
xxemaphorr
FrontBackSide2Side
PFM
johnnyboy666
rich the mechanic
HighlyJetted
Logi
25 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 Empty Re: exhijet now suzuki carry project

Post by tornas Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:45 am

Wow nice Scotia, would love a bullbar like that! And I guess we'll see your friend in the workshop section of this forum soon Wink

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 Empty Re: exhijet now suzuki carry project

Post by Raggy Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Good find those bits, that bull bar looks 'beefy'!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:56 pm

haha yes i think that to tornas.. until now it didnt overheat but in time i think it will silent

the bullbar is a bitt beefy indeed raggy
not sure if it will look better with it or without it Neutral

maybe i will just fitt it when im using the van regular , and when im going to meets/shows i will remove it.. i dont know..
so it can maybe safe my legs when im in a crash.. (hope it never happens!!) but i think the bullbar will protect me a litle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Die bril! lol!

De een zijn dood is de ander zijn brood! cheers
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:35 pm

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:36 pm

we started working on the van.
it had some dents and rusty patches that needed welding.
exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 Roeste10

exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 Roeste11

i tryed getting whole wheelarches but they arent easy to come by for the 30 year old van and the suzukidealer asked 580euro per side.
so it will be cutting out the rust and welding new patches
some recontruction
exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 20170213
my friend who does the welding also can do dent repair work.
interesting to see him work the dent to the point its almost not visable anymore
exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 20170310

lower part of the slidingdoor needed welding to
exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 20170212

exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 20170210

Last edited by scotia on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm

everything is far from finished but i thought it was time for a litle update.
the work was way more than we expected but thats often the case when you start working on rusty pieces.
the litle van is almost 31 years old now so cant realy blame it for being a litle rusty on the outside.
the underside and chassis are mostly rustfree and thats more important.

i will post more pictures in time..
alien cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Excellent work as usual, looks like some filler been used before! look forward to the pic updates
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:52 am

Are you able to give the engine bit of a power boost in any way - assuming that you would like to be able to do that??

I found a tuning company in the South West of London who could increase the power of a 1600 Daihatsu engine from 94bhp to around 125- 130 bhp, lightened and balanced engine components and flywheel, Piper Camshaft, Ported head, matched manifold for under £1000 but that idea has all gone to the wall now with all of last years events. Bit of a shame.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:12 pm

i have a couple of options
-i can fit the 5 speed from a supercarry, that will help a litle with driving on the highway.
- the 1.0 lump from the supercarry also fits my van.

but that would only help litle bits... going from 34hp to 44hp Rolling Eyes Neutral

"tuning"/"modding" it isnt a something i would like to do to it.
its just an old van and low hp and top speed is just something thats goes with it.
its just the way its supposed to be.

if i ever sell it i will buy a hijet and put a 1600 in it
i thought abbout that often the last couple of months.
but i am kind of traumatised by the whole overheating problems  Laughing  geek  Mad
i have zero trust in the hijets coolingsystem,
and every couple of weeks/days my fears are being confirmed by this site or facebook or for sale hijets with HGproblems.

i would rather have my (t)rusty carry that always starts and is in overall technical good condition.
then a 1600 hijet thats more modern more hp more top speed etc etc and starts overheating so i cant drive it..

i had a verry nice rust free hijet once
the stress from it cost me 15 years of my life expectance
when it didnt overheat i was still eyeballing the tempgage like some psycopat Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:27 pm

there are indeed a couple of nice things you can do with the daihatsu engines
i know a lott of people who have owned or still own a 1.3/1.6 charade.
the 1.6 swap is done verry often over here.
my friend whose doing the welding also has one
this is his if youre intersted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8jOMvoMUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyWI3mcndic

but the 1.3 in the charade can get some nice figures with only litle things like an exhaust and good cold air intake.
like this one Unmounted Catalyst, exhaust & added cold air filter runs 108,6hp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sisER7O4X6k

then you have options like 1.6 injectors inletmanifold exhaustmanifold etc
the older types of charade g100 types run realy well with just litle tune ups, and sound awesome to.
its a shame the hijet engines were so restricted by their exhaust ecu etc those 1300 lumps run realy nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 pm

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Scotia. It's the cooling system that causes the problem, not the engines. But it is owners that cause the problems with the cooling system.

We have 3 1600 Grand Moves in regular use and have in nearly 3 years have put about an egg cup of water in any of them. They just don't use or lose water.

My MPV goes for months on end without a topup. Radcaps regularly checked and replaced and make sure that the Radcap seating on the metal pipe under the passenger seat is kept smooth and rust free.
Also check out the hoses and clips for signs of weeping. That is the two Achilles Heals of the Hi-Jet. Water leaks on the hoses and worn seals on the Radcaps and the seating.

Too many hoses in the system. Grand Move system is simple.
The main cause of the overheating on all Hi-Jets are the people who drive them. Lack of regular due diligence - - pure and simple.
Regular Overheating of the engine is the cause of headgasket problems and the driver continuing to drive it. That is what warps heads and burns holes in head gaskets. Although age of the vehicle and mileage has a bearing on it. Keeping the system full of Antifreeze/Summer Coolant helps slow down corrosion in the engine and metal pipes. Preventive maintenance pays dividends in the long run.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Woodie wrote:I think you have hit the nail on the head there Scotia. It's the cooling system that causes the problem, not the engines. But it is owners that cause the problems with the cooling system.

We have 3 1600 Grand Moves in regular use and have in  nearly 3 years have put about an egg cup of water in any of them. They just don't use or lose water.

My MPV goes for months on end without a topup. Radcaps regularly checked and replaced and make sure that the Radcap seating on the  metal pipe under the passenger seat is kept smooth and rust free.
Also check out the hoses and clips for signs of weeping. That is the two Achilles Heals of the Hi-Jet. Water leaks on the hoses and worn seals on the Radcaps and the seating.

Too many hoses in the system. Grand Move system is simple.
The main cause of the overheating on all Hi-Jets are the people who drive them. Lack of regular due diligence - - pure and simple.
Regular Overheating of the engine  is the cause of headgasket problems and the driver continuing to drive it. That is what warps heads and burns holes in head gaskets. Although age of the vehicle and mileage has a bearing on it. Keeping the system full of Antifreeze/Summer Coolant helps slow down corrosion in the engine and metal pipes. Preventive maintenance pays dividends in the long run.  

so why do you have an extra switch for the fan then...?
i did read a while back that you and another diehard member from here both had overide fan switches.
if experts like you have one i think it says something

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:29 pm

i would love an 1.6 hijet it is an realistic and affordable option.
not like turbos or complete engineswaps that requiere a lott of expert help and money.

if i could get 100hp out of it with some affordable normal tweeks like exhaust etc
i think thats a nice figure for a hijet and it will still run reliable
the only thing holding me back is the worries i have regarding the overheating.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Yes you are right. The cooling system is definitely in need of extra cooling.

Are you one of those people who waits till he gets the flue or gets the start of a preventable illness and then goes and gets an injection or penicillin??

Prévention is better than cure and I have had lots of years to learn that. What is the point of letting your temperature gauge get right up of the scale before the Water Temperature Sensor decides to kick in. Then the fan is fighting an uphill struggle to cool the engine down along with your heater on full blast roasting you in the middle of the summer in a traffic jam.

Prevention IS better than cure, thats why I have an overide switch which goes on at the first sign of the needle going over halfway. approaching traffic queues, long hills, or very warm weather.

It is a poor designed system but if there are other ways to deal with it, then that is why I have the overide switch.
The daft thing about it is that the Grand Move Radiator looks smaller than the 1300 Hi-Jets one, a heavier body, a bigger engine and 50% more power and will I am told touch 100 mph. Yet despite the constant thrashing mine gets it or the other two Moves have never overheated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 pm

I have the override switch and I don't use it through the winter but....when it gets warmer and you have been belting (that for my hijet is in the loosest of terms!) down a motorway then come off to a halt at traffic lights I flick the switch as it then keeps the rate at which the temp builds up to a reasonable level rather than just stopping and all the heat build up going into the engine and having to then wait for the fan to kick in to cool it down. Much better if the fan could be set to a lower temp before it kicks in really and take the manual switch out of the equation. Think that's the key issue that the fan does not really come on till way to late for me.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:11 pm

One useful tip to remember all of you Hi-Jet Owners, when you get stuck in a traffic jam. 1st thing is turning on the Heater as I expect most of you will know. It drops the engine temperature by 5 to 6 degrees.

But even more important. Don't let it JUST tick over. Raise the engine speed to around 1800- to 2000 rpm. A fast tick over basically. This will increase the flow of water through the radiator and heater and will be far more effective if you have the fan override switch fitted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:24 am

I saw a guy in a beautiful Carry today. Kentekenplaat VX-22-XX or something, so it was a late 80's van. I was driving the Hijet and waved at him when I crossed him on the crossing. I must have looked like a goddamn idiot waving, I didn't even know the guy...
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:14 am

Woodie wrote:

Are you one of those people who waits till he gets the flue or gets the start of a preventable illness and then goes and gets an injection or penicillin??

no woodie i am the kind of guy who doesnt want to get sick at all Laughing
if i know the flue is somewhere like for instance at my parents house i just dont go in that general sick erea because i dont want to get sick.
youre talking about putting yourself inside this sick erea with a facemask in the hope that will prevent you from getting sick.

the things you guys are talking about only confirm my worries about it.

i wave to other small vans to lex  Laughing
there are a couple others here in my erea and have spoken to some of them.
they were just as happy to see me than i them.
heres one encounter

exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 16508910

exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 16602110

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Yes I understand what you are saying Scotia. You don't want to put yourself in the position where you have a vehicle that you are constantly looking at the temperature gauge and every time you go out in it, your heart is in your mouth all the journey.

My own MPV seldom overheats. Last time was when Raggy came over last year. One of the additional connections used in the LPG Conversion was weeping and took a bit of finding. Fortunately I had another connector from another LPG I had dismantled and that sorted out the problem.

My Romahome pictured in my Avatar has only gotten very hot over 2 years ago on my journey to Sidmouth. There is a steep hill going up into Beere Regis and I got stuck behind a pile of pooh - a VW Diesel Camper throwing out enough black diesel smoke to fill the years quota for the whole of London. It was crawling in first gear at 10 miles an hour. Normally I would have stormed up there in second gear.
A lot of the troubles as I have mentioned is down to poor maintenance by the garage or the Hi-Jet owner.

As I have already said. Prevention is better than cure. A good check out looking for water leaks is good prevention and so is having the Override switch.

You love your Suzy's and I love my Hi-Jets. This Forum is called the Micro Van Owners Forum but it is usually referred to as the Hi-Jet Owners club or Forum and is definitely the best Hi-Jet Forum around. Rascals and Suzy's don't seem to have the overheating problems we have and are certainly more basic and reliable but any vehicle has its strengths and weaknesses. Each to their own isn't it? But I can't speak for all on here but personally I really enjoy your very balanced input to the Forum and all the information and pictures you contribute. Thank you very much for that. I am sure many other regulars will feel the same too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:26 pm

thanx and yes i agree with you
its not a discusion from my part what is better.
they are both in their own box if that makes any sence..
i love all small vans and pickups and i have a soft spot for cuore/miras to

first i have to finish the carry and if i still feel the same in a couple of months maybe i will go down the hijet 1.6 route and sell the carry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

i did a mufflerectomy,
replaced the rearmuffler with a pipe.
the sound was a litle more than i expected  Laughing

klick on youtubelink for video Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M71MwOax5SQ

before
exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 1310

after
exhijet now suzuki carry project  - Page 8 U111

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm

Looks neat and tidy underneath, watched the video, certainly a bit 'raspy'
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Manuel_nl Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Will this adjustment pass the dutch APK? (= MOT)
Manuel_nl
Manuel_nl
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:11 pm

apk has nothing to do with sound.. (police on the other hand will not be happy)
as long as your exhaust is airtight it will pass.
and the van is from 1986 so doesnt need a cat or has to pass the emmision tests cheers

it pops when i let go of the gas while driving..awesome What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:32 pm

I bet it sounds a bit raucous!! Love it!!  On overun the exhaust note ideally should be continuous. If it is popping then it can mean that air is getting into the system - possibly where you have joined it. Easiest way as I am sure that you know is to stick your hand over the end of the pipe and listen for a slight blow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:05 pm

Ha ha ha, people will be wondering wtf is coming down the road. Ny mate has a Mini with a Rover V8 in it, you should see folk's faces when that starts up affraid
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:47 am

Logi wrote:Ha ha ha, people will be wondering wtf is coming down the road. Ny mate has a Mini with a Rover V8 in it, you should see folk's faces when that starts up affraid

Laughing you should hear it when it start it up
with the choke one so revs pretty hard and its parked in a garagabox made of concrete Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:43 pm

More videos please!
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PvdB Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am

Haha, funny to see your home town in someones movie. Nice video material! Are you going to make a movie of your van like this as well?

scotia wrote:there are indeed a couple of nice things you can do with the daihatsu engines
i know a lott of people who have owned or still own a 1.3/1.6 charade.
the 1.6 swap is done verry often over here.
my friend whose doing the welding also has one
this is his if youre intersted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8jOMvoMUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyWI3mcndic

but the 1.3 in the charade can get some nice figures with only litle things like an exhaust and good cold air intake.
like this one Unmounted Catalyst, exhaust & added cold air filter runs 108,6hp  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sisER7O4X6k

then you have options like 1.6 injectors inletmanifold exhaustmanifold etc
the older types of charade g100 types run realy well with just litle tune ups, and sound awesome to.
its a shame the hijet engines were so restricted by their exhaust ecu etc those 1300 lumps run realy nice.
PvdB
PvdB
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next