Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No More Waterfall!!! Thankyou Woodie

2 posters

Go down

No More Waterfall!!! Thankyou Woodie Empty No More Waterfall!!! Thankyou Woodie

Post by SamT. Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:47 pm

I seem to have found and fixed the cause of the massive water leak on my Hijet.
It turned out to be a combination of two things:

1. The cheap 8 quid thermostat I got from ebay was too wide as I suspected.
I think the brand was Nordic. I bought a much more expensive Niparts thermostat and when you hold the two next to each other there is a clearly visible difference in diameter.

2. I broke the thermostat housing. Because the oversized thermostat prevented the two parts of the housing meeting when the bolts were tightened, I ended up snapping one of the lugs off by over doing it. At this point, I thought I was screwed, but the man, the legend, that is Woodie, sorted me out a new thermostat housing quickly and affordably. Also gave me some very helpfull advice. Can't praise him enough.

I changed it all over today, took the alternator off this time to give better access instead of messing about getting a spanner in from behind and turning the bolt 3 degrees at a time.
Used Hylomar blue for extra water-tightness, and three new bolts as instructed by Woodie. Was a good shout as the old ones were fairly corroded.
Put everything back together and gave it a try, praise be, it holds water cheers

It dose however, still run hot Neutral
So next time I get a chance to work on it I'll start by double checking I've definitely got all of the air out of the cooling system. It's better than it was though as before it would completely overheat, so it's a step in the right direction.

So what have I learned?
DON'T buy cheap shit form ebay (though I almost certainly will) Rolling Eyes
DO buy parts from Woodie.
Don't be afraid to get stuck in.
SamT.
SamT.
Clubman

Back to top Go down

No More Waterfall!!! Thankyou Woodie Empty Re: No More Waterfall!!! Thankyou Woodie

Post by Raggy Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Excellent advice
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down