Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tank Free of charge

+4
PFM
buttondup
gogopiaggio
Buffy54
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Tank Free of charge Empty New Tank Free of charge

Post by Buffy54 Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:19 pm

New Tank Free of charge 20180912 Can you believe it, just as I feel like giving up. Buffy has been recalled. I'm getting a new tank, I am blown away. Why not check if you can have one to.
Thanks Raggy for telling me be paitiencent. I was on the case hunting all day yesterday, I was determined to give this my last shot. An FB friend said it was on the list for recalls. I'm made up. Thought you all would like to know. Why not check your van as you may be surprised. It's brilliant that 20 years down the line Buffy will have a new tank. New one was quoted £590, plus fit. About time I got a treat.
New Tank Free of charge 20180913

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

New Tank Free of charge Empty Re: New Tank Free of charge

Post by gogopiaggio Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:21 pm

cheers

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 pm

All should check this out, you may have something in the list if recall. Some people are not aware. Vans from 97 -2004 are listed with recalls. Just type in Diahatsu recalls. You will find info, just follow form. Reg , vin number ect, it then shows you and confirms your recall. Hope others have good news like me, new tank us something to sing and dance about. It's time I was smiling about this naughty Buffy.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 pm

That's great news. I tried my luck with the propshaft recall but wasn't even graced with a reply. I also replaced fuel tank with new shortly after I got truck.
buttondup
buttondup
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Oh damm it. So expensive. I hope it helps someone in this tribe. I love this forum, has kept me going. Almost there, my pocket us emtie, but I love Buffy lol🤣😂😅

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:53 am

The recalls are listed on the MOT history check service, for some people I believe.

Has anyone gone down the route of a custom aluminium fuel tank -- about £200 -- as a suitable replacement? No need if you get a nice new genuine one though!

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 am

That is something I shall pass on. I think mine will be sorted now, just waiting for call back from a dealer who is addressing my recall. Thanks a for info.
Where from ?

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:39 am

people offer things like this -- presumably the price goes up as the shape gets more complicated
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BESPOKE-COMPBRAKE-Aluminium-Fuel-Tank-Rally-Race-KItcar-PerformancE-Track-Drift/271962637305

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Brilliant news, Buffy. I'd forgotten there was a tank recall, though thought it was for breather issues rather than tank. I know I checked my 2 vans for recall items and got nothing for either Sad

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:39 am

Buffy Brilliant cheers YOU ARE A STAR Like a Star @ heaven
Just contacted Daihatsu
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:50 am

I had the replacement driveshaft on a 03 as it was vibrating and just about undrivable .
The garage that sold the van to me organised the recalled driveshaft replacement as part of a service in 2017.

Anyone have a  link to Daihatsu recalls I cant find it via google

Carpetcleanvan
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:54 am

Is this it with the DSVA.... not Daihatsu

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

Carpetcleanvan
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 am

Part ordered, can't wait. Cheered me up big time. Glad to see others following up. You never know. Good luck

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:23 pm

In my case it was replace the prop shaft and check front hubs.
I rang the garage and as it is 75 miles away we had a chat - I have already changed the propshaft for the later type and have changed the wheelbearings which negates the front hub tightness check.
No mention of fuel tanks Crying or Very sad
A well c'est la vie!
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:28 pm

😚

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Oh at least you tried.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 pm

Hello folks, it's been a while. I have not been so well. I'm on the mend, slowly. As you will remember those that know me, and for third that don't. I out my heart and some into my Hijet. My last post stated I was getting a replacement tank. They finally got there act together, it's been a long drawn out process. New tank in Wednesday. It's been a waste of tax and insurance sitting in the carpark. I hope everyone is well and enjoying Hijet life. Be glad when this job is done.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Oh sorry so many errors. Hope you understand.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:52 pm

Buffy54 wrote:Hello folks, it's been a while. I have not been so well. I'm on the mend, slowly. As you will remember those that know me, and for third that don't. I out my heart and some into my Hijet. My last post stated I was getting a replacement tank. They finally got there act together, it's been a long drawn out process. New tank in Wednesday. It's been a waste of tax and insurance sitting in the carpark. I hope everyone is well and enjoying Hijet life. Be glad when this job is done.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy - Be POSITIVE Very Happy Look on the bright side. Even sitting in the car park and cost of Tax and Ins I think you have got a very cheap NEW tank fitted.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi Jon I never replied as was not in a good head space, today I felt POSITIVE. Life has been difficult with illness and loss, van problems since day I bought it. Anyhow yes grateful for tank. It finally went in today to be fitted. On arrival to collect. Started her up and had a gush if petrol. They broke the fuel pump pipe. So I'm now trying to find a way to hopefully see if someone can weld a new pipe on if it is possible. Failing that I'm on the hunt for second hand. Any advise welcome. I just want to enjoy my van, after all I have had it since last February, guess I must have replaced so much, learned a lot, and burned a big hole in my purse. Let's hope I can get enthusiastic again.
Happy New Year all .

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:06 am

Buffy - not sure which pipe you mean - but 2 points.
1. It is very difficult to get welding done to a fuel tank after it has been filled - it needs "purged" of any trace of petrol fumes. and second I am unsure which pipe is broken - if it is outside the tank - it can be replaced - simply metal (or flexible) fuel pipe and joints
2. If a garage has caused the problem - then they must fix it at their cost not yours!
My van clanks groans and bangs - but fortunately keeps on going!
At the moment waiting for an opportunity to fit a new radiator - it is sitting in my flat along with new rad caps - at the moment relying on RadWeld which to date is holding!!!
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:53 am

Make sure you give the system good flush out before you fit the new rad to get shut of all the radweld in the system.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:43 pm

Raggy wrote:Make sure you give the system good flush out before you fit the new rad to get shut of all the radweld in the system.

cheers Thanks Raggy I probably would not have done that on the basis There won't be a lot left when the rad is out - now I have to empty the resevoir!
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:36 am

Hi Buffy. You have got one of two problems here - probably because they didn't disconnect the two fuel pipes carefully before dropping the Petrol Tank, and one of the pipes snapped by putting strain on a rusty pipe. Pick up tanks are infamous for rust. If they have snapped the fuel return pipe, unfortunately unlike the van it is soldered or brazed into the tank which any blacksmith or older well established garage should be able to repair - after removal of the broken piece, provided that they can find a suitable piece of new pipe. Only needs to be 4/5 inches long.

The supply pipe on the pickup pump can't be replaced as it is specifically shaped and has the fuel pickup and filter on it.
The van pump has both supply and return pipes on it
(which would have been ideal) but the overall height of the Van pump is shorter so technically will fit.

But I have just been out to my shed and compared the two pumps the pickup pipe and filter is in a different position relative to the 7 Setscrew holes in the fitting plate - so that Idea is out of the window.

The other place where the petrol pipe rusts and breaks is the fuel filter because garages seem oblivious to the fact that a fuel filter needs changing regularly and if they do put some grease on the threads of the pipe union and some on the pipe where it is inside the union. Then you don't have the snapping off problem.

But if it has snapped there it is simple enough by using a filter with push fit both ends for rubber pipes and hose clips.

If it is the Petrol pump I have one or two.

When welding petrol tanks, they need tipping out and emptying as much fuel as possible then remove the FUEL PUMP ( I use an Automatic Centre Punch on the heads of the 7mm Set Screws to shock them loose and break up any rust, also liberal amounts of WD40. If they snap a head off you have got real problems. ) Leave an air line blowing through the tank to evaporate the petrol then I stick a HAIR DRYER in the opening of the removed petrol pump to make sure that the tank is warm and then they are safe to braze or solder a new pipe in. I have welded hundreds of petrol tanks over the years and have never so much as heard a "Pop" when welding so long as you vent the tank properly and warm it up as described - no problem.
And before you ask - sorry I haven't got a petrol tank left either Pickup or Van.

Last edited by Woodie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 am

New Tank Free of charge Dsc_3311
New Tank Free of charge Dsc_3211
New Tank Free of charge Dsc_3212

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:49 am

Just had a thought. If it is the return pipe on the petrol tank you could cut the fuel filter open and very carefully remove the outlet pipe seen in the picture and have that brazed into the Petrol Tank. Almost guaranteed that you'll need a new fuel filter anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:25 am

Some  previous owner appears to have modded my fuel system.  Presumably using the old top plate.  I have an external fuel pump mounte on the chassis in a rubber doughnut affair - you can hear it run when the key is turned before cranking.
The breather does not have a charcoal cannister.
It maybe a bodge but it would appear to be a "good bodge" as it is now 18000 miles since I bought the van.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 pm

kernowjon01 wrote:Buffy - not sure which pipe you mean - but 2 points.
1. It is very difficult to get welding done to a fuel tank after it has been filled - it needs "purged" of any trace of petrol fumes. and second I am unsure which pipe is broken - if it is outside the tank - it can be replaced - simply metal (or flexible) fuel pipe and joints
2. If a garage has caused the problem - then they must fix it at their cost not yours!
My van clanks groans and bangs - but fortunately keeps on going!
At the moment waiting for an opportunity to fit a new radiator - it is sitting in my flat along with new rad caps - at the moment relying on RadWeld which to date is holding!!!
Jon

Hi Jon just to say sorry for delay. I finally got the he van back yesterday. The garage in question were so critical if it's age and said oh it's an old van what do you expect. They did not want the job. They said that I needed to make a strap to hold the tank up. Even I know it bolts to the chassis. They said they could not undo the bolts, told me to take it away and get those things done. I took it to my merchanic who gave me good advise, loosened all bolts off and tightened up . It was a joke. I went back and said I was not prepared to modify my van with a strap. It was just this one guy who was a real bully .
On the up side Woodie came to my rescue for the fuel pump. It was immaculate, like new. Never seen such a good job of packageing. He is one on his own.
Van filled, no leaks however the sender not working, was working on old tank. Going to give them a call on Monday. Fingers crossed that I deal with the other guy, he is much nicer . So all in all I am grateful to Diahatsu for replacing my tank. Onto the exchaust next week.
Sounds like you are finding rad weld to work. Good luck with that.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Woodie wrote:Just had a thought. If it is the return pipe on the petrol tank you could cut the fuel filter open and very carefully remove the outlet pipe seen in the picture and have that brazed into the Petrol Tank. Almost guaranteed that you'll need a new fuel filter anyway.
Just wanted to say a massive thank you for my fuel pump. It was top notch. You saved my time , stress and money once again. Thank you kindly.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:02 am

Buffy - an update I only regarded the RadWeld as a temporary fix. I spent Saturday and Sunday changing the radiator. I sourced a shiny new one - so the van lives on.
Changing the radiator would have been easy with the standard front end - whereas I had to work mainly from underneath = removing other bits that I imagine would not be removed with a standard front.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next