Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tank Free of charge

+4
PFM
buttondup
gogopiaggio
Buffy54
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Tank Free of charge - Page 2 Empty Re: New Tank Free of charge

Post by Buffy54 Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi Jon. Great that you got your rad done. It feels great to see shiny and new.
My tank all done finally. The sender not working properly though. It was working before replacement . I called garage two weeks ago to ask if they could check the reason for not working. Was told we will look into this and call you back, I'm still waiting.
I had all fuel pipes and break pipes replaced in copper. ( My purse is emtie. )
I picked her up yesterday. Felt good to be behind the wheel again.
Bumpers and rear lights off today to try sort galley leaks, it's a nice day for it.

New Tank Free of charge - Page 2 20190210

New Tank Free of charge - Page 2 20190211

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Buffy - is your pod an early one or the double skin Mk5 - easy identification have you got an external gas locker nearside rear quarter.
Equip yourself with a sealant gun and either expensive PU sealant Tiger Seal, Gorilla Grip or simular. And use plenty as you reassemble - most leaks I find are due to -
1. The Silicone gets old shrinks, dries out and no longer works.
2. In the interests of economy not enough sealant has been used.
Do not pull surplus sealant you will break the seal cut it then gently remove .
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:49 pm

No Jon. It is a Mk2 version. The usual place for the water to get in the footwell is behind the rear lights where the wiring goes through the body. The rubber grommet shrinks and hardens and lets water drip into the cupboard or under the fridge.

It was the same for the Mk5 body - only 10 times worse. The rear lights were totally different to the Mk1 - 4. They were shaped to go slightly around the corner. So Romahome cut a huge oblong shape in the fibreglass almost as big as the light itself and used a foam gasket - which was as much use as a Chocolate Teapot.

They tried various methods to try and seal them. You couldn't Polyurethane   them in as the whole unit had to come out to change the bulbs. On the earlier rear lights the Cover Lens had a push in clip each end and came off in 2 seconds.
The Mk5 was a very poor design and the usual common cause of a Mobile Foot Spar in the Galley area.

Last edited by Woodie on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 am

Woodie wrote:No Jon. It is a Mk1 version.

They tried various methods to try and seal them. You couldn't Polyurethane   them in as the whole unit had to come out to change the bulbs. On the earlier rear lights the Cover Lens had a push in clip each end and came off in 2 seconds.
The Mk5 was a very poor design and the usual common cause of a Mobile Foot Spar in the Galley area.

WEhich is why I changed the entire units for LEDs
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-12V-Rear-Stop-LED-Lights-Tail-Brake-Indicator-Truck-Van-Lamp-Trailer-Light/372344052219?epid=1760471992&hash=item56b16f59fb:g:db8AAOSwTvpZbz2X:rk:18🇵🇫0
and 2 of these these for fogs - I have a third up high above the door as a high l;evel brake light
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-LED-Red-Rear-Fog-Light-Trailers-Universal-E-Approved-Lighting-Maypole/162464704935?epid=26025835614&hash=item25d3a6a9a7:g:VvEAAOSwISFaz44l:rk:2🇵🇫1&frcectupt=true
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:41 am

Woodie wrote:No Jon. It is a Mk1 version. The usual place for the water to get in the footwell is behind the rear lights where the wiring goes through the body. The rubber grommet shrinks and hardens and lets water drip into the cupboard or under the fridge.

It was the same for the Mk5 body - only 10 times worse. The rear lights were totally different to the Mk1 - 4. They were shaped to go slightly around the corner. So Romahome cut a huge oblong shape in the fibreglass almost as big as the light itself and used a foam gasket - which was as much use as a Chocolate Teapot.

They tried various methods to try and seal them. You couldn't Polyurethane them in as the whole unit had to come out to change the bulbs. On the earlier rear lights the Cover Lens had a push in clip each end and came off in 2 seconds.
I removed one unit so far. Sealed all around the wires .I am still getting water in. I tried to remove bumper to take a look at some cracking in the corners. I gave up as cannot get the the thread undone. It just goes round and round. I can't even do it whilst someone tries to grip the thread from outside, . Why the heck they can't put a a ridge in it so you can hold onto it whilst undoing. I'm guessing there is a way. So it's bailing out for now.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Unfortunately Buffy on your Quarter Bumpers it is the type that had a threaded insert moulded into the Fibreglass of the Bumper. The early ones were held on with Self Tapping Screws or very large headed Pop-Rivets. You will have to take the fridge out if you have one to get at the fixingings.
Re reading your message - has someone used nuts and bolts rather than the fixings I have described? The Bumpers I have had, had a roll of resin soaked Fibreglass, rather like the cardboard roll of Cellotape bonded into the Fibreglass Bumper and then flattened flush and that was what the Rivets or self tappers or Threaded fitting were fixed to.

If you do have the threaded inserts the way I get that type off is using a drill with a 10 mm socket and spin the nut inside the van at high speed with a bit of oil between the nut and washer inside the van and usually doing that on all three fitting - you can then pull the bumper off and then using a 1.6mm Stainless Steel Cutting disc cut the rusty bolt and fixing off the bodywork.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Thank you. I will take a picture tomorrow. I think this bolt maybe not the original. I do appreciate your advise. Best I send pics tomorrow, as I'm still a new kid at this, however very determined, thanks to the amazing support on this forum. I hope one day to feed back advise.
It's for sure Buffy has taught me paitence admist some of my struggles.
So yes I am grateful.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by chaindrive Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 am

Just a thought on the rusted steel petrol pump outlet, my pipe was rusted and leaked
like a sieve after I had disturbed the rubber hose. My fix was to cut the pipe off so only
a vertical piece was left and I soft soldered a 10mm copper elbow and piece of copper tube
to the steel pipe, the copper elbow is a small bore central heating item.

chaindrive
chaindrive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:02 am

The whole pipe system, both petrol and brakes and fuel pump looked like they had come off the Marie Celeste, CD.
as you can get a good idea from the pictures. The bloke who sold her the Romahome should have had unspeakable things done to him. Con Merchant!!

I sent Buffy a used pump on the 7th of January to help get her back on the road. Good job she has a second car with all the hassle and expenses she has had poor girl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:13 am

I must say that fuel pump looked shiny and almost new to look at. Made me chuckle how well you packed it up. Now that's sevice with a smile. Great price also. Thanks again.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:25 pm

Oh Woodie I forgot to ask fir Futher info on where the pipes came from. All a bit bazaar to me.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2