Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Split charge system not charging

4 posters

Go down

Split charge system not charging Empty Split charge system not charging

Post by leo_h Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Hello everyone!
Right I've had a comprehensive search but can't find much on this issue! Recently I installed a split charge system with a voltage sensing relay on my EFI 1.3. The install seemed easier than expected (i'm a novice at electrics) with the hardest part finding where to mount the leisure battery. All seemed well for a month or so, but now I realise the leisure battery isn't charging properly and slowly runs out. Crying or Very sad
The alternator provides 14.4 direct from the + on it, but at the starter battery end it only receives 13.5 ish! Is this normal? I traced the loom from the starter battery and the heavy red wire goes direct to the starter motor (makes sense) but I struggled to find where/how the wire from the alternator to the battery goes, and think it goes into an even bigger bit of the loom into and under the dash!! Shocked
I would imagine it goes into the engine management or something, which then switches it down??
Anyone know what's going on? and if there is something I can do?

Thanks for your help in advance guys!
Ps. here's my ghetto leisure battery holder!! Very Happy
Split charge system not charging Lbatte11

Split charge system not charging Lbatte12
leo_h
leo_h

Back to top Go down

Split charge system not charging Empty Re: Split charge system not charging

Post by Raggy Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Is that a kit you bought? Installed a kit from SimplySpitCharge and not had any issues, got a digital readout from leasure battery and its being charged all the time and separates when not running. Not sure why yours isnt doing it. Maybe post up how you have wired it up and then we can compare and see if anything can be spotted. I know buying separate I could have save a little bit of money but the kit just did what it said on the box and the instructions were quite extensive. Have a look on their website at this install guide, some good fault checking hints. May give you an idea whats wrong. CLICK HERE,
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Give us more details were you have stashed the battery and its been a regualarish discussion on here where you can fit it other than the normal inside the van in a box place.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:00 pm

Is the battery an AGM battery?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by leo_h Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks for the reply chaps. Smile
Yeah I got it as a kit off ebay, it's pretty much exactly the same as the kit as is sold by simplysplitcharge and 12voltworld etc with a durite vsr, except it had a longer cable for less Very Happy. I closely followed the install guide from 12voltworld, which is very similar to the one you linked.
This one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171420944343
Regarding the battery, I got this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191659170975
Not sure if it's AGM or not..I don't think so..
Very cheap, yes I know, perhaps that is my problem, however I expected it to last at least as long as the warranty!

I managed to stash the battery in a little cage I welded up, under the passenger sliding door sill, it's bolted to the subframe, see below.
Split charge system not charging Leisur10

I  was careful where I put the fuses and cabling, following the loom for some of it.
Split charge system not charging Starte10

And this is the cage before I hammerited it Very Happy
Split charge system not charging Batcag10

I'm still wondering if the voltage being received by both batteries is enough? The voltmeter says 13.45... hmm
leo_h
leo_h

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Mine is about that and works just fine, not sure what the problem is. Did you try the trouble shooting guide on the doc I linked to? Does the red light come on the Durite block when running the engine then go off a little after you stopped the engine?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:26 am

13.5v is not really great to charge a lead acid battery, it would be a pretty slow charge.

14.25 to 14.5v is really more of a typical car battery charging voltage for good reason!

HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:42 pm

If Highlyjetted is right (which he probably is) then too low a voltage will not be triggering the relay to charge the leisure battery. Check the red light on the relay is comming on or not. It comes on when its charging.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leo_h Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:47 am

Yeah, looked yesterday, the red light comes on and you can hear it switch over. It seems like I'm gonna have to up the voltage or replace the battery with one which needs less voltage! If that exists? Is there any reason the engine steps the voltage down from the alternator? I wonder if could bypass the loom...

Thanks for your help guys, I think I'm slowly getting closer!
leo_h
leo_h

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:42 pm

leo_h wrote:Split charge system not charging Starte10

Is it only me, or is anyone else concerned about the fact the +ve and -ve cables are rubbing insulation?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Raggy wrote:If Highlyjetted is right (which he probably is) then too low a voltage will not be triggering the relay to charge the leisure battery. Check the red light on the relay is comming on or not. It comes on when its charging.

No I would think anything over 13v will trigger the relay at a guess.

I would suggest running a medium gauge wire from the alternator direct to the new leisure battery, via a relay to isolate it, otherwise you will drain both batteries when you are trying to use the leisure battery.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down