Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body to Engine/Gearbox earth strap

Go down

Body to Engine/Gearbox earth strap Empty Body to Engine/Gearbox earth strap

Post by DodgeGT Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:11 pm

Hey guys,

I've just put the engine and gearbox back into the van, everything is connected except an earth strap that i can't remember where it connected to.

One end is connected to the body via one of the gearbox mount bolts, its about a foot long and quite a thick strap so i'm reluctant to try and start the engine without it connected (I guess its the neutral return for the starter so takes a few amps)

Where abouts does it connect to on the engine/gearbox? can anyone who does this frequently point me in the right direction?

Cheers Smile

DodgeGT

Back to top Go down

Body to Engine/Gearbox earth strap Empty Re: Body to Engine/Gearbox earth strap

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:29 pm

Any where you find convenient to bolt it to either engine or gearbox. Makes no odds where really as long as it is metal you bolt it to. Cool

Years ago when I was working on Fords, I had a lovely Dark Blue 1966 Mk 1 1500 GT Cortina, in my hurry to get the engine swop finished, I forgot to connect the earth strap to the gearbox.

I tried starting it and the starter motor seemed a bit sluggish , but after a few seconds it fired up, once the fuel pump had filled the Carburetor. But there was an awful smell of burning.

The engine had used the Carburetor Manual Choke Cable as the engine earth and had heated the cable up to red hot. How it didn't set fire to the inside of the dashboard I'll never know.

It was a fun job (not) threading the new cable through the dashboard and bulkhead. Never made the earth strap mistake again on any vehicle.

Back to top Go down

Post by DodgeGT Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:50 pm

Ah, I'll have a good look tomorrow and see if i can find anywhere to make it fit. Might have to drill the lug out to make it fit onto a convenient bolt.

Haha yeah that is exactly what i wanted to avoid, hence not trying to start it. At the moment there is only one tiny tiny strap connecting the engine to earth which would evaporate in an instant with starter amps Smile

DodgeGT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down