Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine squeak

3 posters

Go down

Engine squeak  Empty Engine squeak

Post by dec51 Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:28 pm

hi all There is a squeak coming from the engine when I put the spark plug back in.
Any ideas? Please
dec51
dec51
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Engine squeak  Empty Re: Engine squeak

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:27 am

When does the squeak happen? all the time? on start up? accelerating? etc

Most common squeak from the engine i would say would be the alternator belt, maybe better described as a squeal?

I can't think of any reason a spark plug change would cause a squeak so i would say that is coincidental. Did you do any more work at the same time or remove any parts etc?
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:08 am

If it has only happened since you changed the spark plugs then I think you best take your coil packs off again one at a time and check the tightness of each plug.

I had a plug on my MPV work loose when I first got it and
tracked it down to a loose plug. It may be that when you changed the plug that some dust or dirt fell down the tube onto the plug seating and is consequently not sealing properly. I could only hear it on tickover and I thought it was an exhaust blow . Lift the passenger seat up and have a listen. Don't stick you ear too close. Could be a shocking experience !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:59 am

dec51 wrote: hi all There is a squeak coming from the engine when I put the spark plug back in.
Any ideas? Please

Please don't take offence at this, but I will talk to you straight!

Please ensure you better describe your issues if you want decent feedback.

Does the squeak happen when its running or not?! High revs, Low revs, more or less if you turn the lights on/fans on.

Where roughly does the squeak come from? Squirt WD-40 on the belt and does it go away.

Why did you take the spark plugs out in the first place?

What is the back story on the van - was it running fine before you worked on it etc?

Very Happy 
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:04 am

Hang about- on the other post you wrote:-   https://hijet.forumotion.com/t2500-engine-will-not-turn-over-hmmmm

dec51 wrote:thanks for that HJ  ,did have a look and all is fine ..  think there is piston ring issue now as theirs a squeak think from a piston ring since i put some wd40 down the pots , grr think this might just end up as a strip down

So actually you have always had a squeak ! And other pretty serious issues I guess.

And at no point have you actually said if you have had this "seized" engine running or not yet.

You claim you have checked, but I would strongly suspect this engine has a split cam shaft.

Which will have cam journals like this https://hijet.forumotion.com/t1864-collisions
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by dec51 Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi   Very Happy  first of all my apologies for not explaining fully thank you for replying.. I’ll start from the beginning
I bought the hijet minibus (Piaggio engine 4 coil pack) knowing there was a engine issue (daft I know). Lol someone call me a daft ole sod …
Anyway I had it towed onto my drive charged the battery flicked the key and clunk (no start) so thought starter motor. Took it off and tested it and also tested the battery and all was /is fine as far as I could tell. I tried to start it again no clunk    .
but the engine was trying to turn/rotate very slowly so thought could this be seized   (reminder this van had stood in a Gurage for about 1 year I know too note to self-old petrol)  at this point I took the spark plugs out to check them and also to spray some wd40 down in case it was just stuck/seized . Then I took the sump box off to take a look and also to see if there was any bits of metal in (nothing just oil) had a good look up and could see no obvious problem put sump box back on and oil in,,
Put the spark plugs back in and when I tried to start it/turn engine over again the engine attempted to rotating over very slowly but this time there is a squeak on every rotation…the squeak is from spark plug number 2 I’ll call it the the one that’s a pain in the a*s to get to … there is compression in all spark plug holes .. this engine has not started/fired up as yet  Rolling Eyes 
at the moment i have taken the fan bet off and still a squeak , the cam bet is on
hope this explains a little better
DEC
dec51
dec51
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:36 pm

hmm, if the engine is stiff it could be a bearing somewhere. When you had the sump off did you look for any discolouration on the crank near the journals which would indicate heat? Did the oil smell burnt? Had it stuck to the surfaces of the engine like tar in places?
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by dec51 Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:00 pm

thank you for answering FBS2S... When i looked up all looked fine and quite new ,oil was ok also . but i think i will take a closer look when its dry ,
i really dont want to have to strip this engine down unless 100% necessary but if needs must ..lolol
DEC
dec51
dec51
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:04 pm

Before you do anything else, take the cam sensor off and watch the end of the cam while you get someone to turn the key.

Is it a decent battery or a piece of old knackard crap thats been kept flat for 5 months?

Did you compression test every cylinder?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Sorry. I naturally assumed it was a runner and you had merely done a plug change. Didn't realize it was a National  Disaster Area.

I have just picked up a V reg van with a beautiful engine.
It is the FIRST Hi-Jet I have scrapped because of chassis rust. Bodywork is lovely but the underneath is a rust bucket. May be easier to change engines. Food for thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by dec51 Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi all thank you for your advice and thoughts
Just one or two questions
HJ you say take the cam sensor off where is it on the engine please and what am I looking for when I take it off (as wife turns the key) hope you don’t mind me asking..
After testing the battery it’s not 100% new but holds its full charge v well
As for a compression test no I have completed a full one I just know there is a spark at every plug and compression also (blocked hole and there is equal suction on all as far as I could tell )

Found the comment National disaster area funny woody lol and I’ll keep the idea to put in another engine in mind thanks.. More so because this minibus has fantastic body and chassis
My wife thinks im mad attempting to fix this minibus at my age lol I told her will I have to tolerate you don’t I ,,, Sunday dinner was in the dog lolol Shocked 
DEC
dec51
dec51
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 pm

dec51 wrote:
HJ   you say take the cam sensor off where is it on the engine please and what am I looking for when I take it off (as wife turns the key) hope you don’t mind me asking..

As for a compression test no I have completed a full one I just know there is a spark at every plug and compression also (blocked hole and there is equal suction on all as far as I could tell )

Cam sensor is where you would find a distributor on a old style vehicle - at the end of the cam shaft - bolted to the end of the head - not the cam belt end. On a hijet it is just above where the exhaust manifold joins the first exhaust section. What you are looking for is the end of the camshaft rotating properly - Its a 2 minute test that can save you wasting your time with faf!

So have you done a real compression test or not? I am a bit confused by your answer.

So is the battery the old one, that has been kept discharged for ages? If so - jump lead it from another vehicle.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by dec51 Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:04 pm

hi HJ thanks for your answer ref the cam sensor i'll try that tomorrow
no i have not done a "real compression test" i'll take a look on the forum and see if it explains how to do one.
no the battery is not a old one its 2 months old but i'll try your idea jump lead from another vehicle .that would be worth a try  Smile 
like what you said about* old style vehicle* more my thing i think as the more modern cars and electrics confuse me lol
DEC
dec51
dec51
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Doing a compression test is easy enough but you do need the tester to do it. You can pick these up fairly cheaply but i would check the things you can do for free first such as what HJ suggested.
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by dec51 Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:28 pm

i'm back ... after a short brake from van due to illness ... i have done all that all of you have advised (thank you) the only thing i could net get done was a compression test....
while have a brake from the van i left the sump box off and no oil in when i got under today i could see a color difference connecting rod part of it is ermm like a gray and the slight amount of remaining oil covering it is gray/thick so i'll assume part of the cam /shell /bearings have worn, there is slight play , plus thing is no squeak now and she's started and runs at the moment lol i sound hopeful don't i , not sure if or how to fix the gray in cam part or if i could get the parts to fix it .
DEC
dec51
dec51
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Hello Dec. I am having a few days break till Monday with my wife's family. Its in a certain place called TAMWORTH!!

Somehow I think you might know the place. Very Happy Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Would you like me to come over and take a look at your
troublesome Hi-Jet?? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:19 pm

dec51 wrote:
i left the sump box off and no oil in when i got under today i could see a color difference connecting rod part of it is  ermm like a gray a

i'll assume part of the cam /shell /bearings have worn, there is slight play

not sure if or how to fix the gray in cam part or if i could get the parts to fix it .

I am very confused right now.

"Grey in cam part"
"Connecting rod"
"Cam/shell/bearings"

What part of the engine are we actually talking about right now?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:44 am

Er !! Too late going back to the Island this morning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down