Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bit of a project thread

+6
8bit-ash
FrontBackSide2Side
rich the mechanic
craig2859
xxemaphorr
Logi
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

bit of a project thread - Page 3 Empty Re: bit of a project thread

Post by Logi Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:55 am

woody wrote:The Diesel tank ??? Looks more like the sump.

Agreed.

Maybe been running on Kero mixed with oil, wouldn't be handy getting dipped with that in it..
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyboy666 Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 pm

It looks like the sump due to the unique way the diesel pump fails on these. It seems the diaphragm of the pump has two membranes, if one splits, the oil leaks onto the floor, if the other splits, you end up with oil up the return hose into the tank, and diesel in your engine oil. The old switcheroo!
I'm guessing the thinning of the engine oil due to the diesel in it would explain the occasional flicker of the oil pressure light.

stuck 2 gallons of fresh diesel in tonight after completely draing the tank, going to change the engine oil and filter tomorrow. I'm also going to fit a small clear plastic in-line fuel filter in the return hose, so I can keep tabs on the colour of the fuel for a few tankfulls.

bought a cheap Cv boot to replace the perished rubber gaiter around the gearstick

the other pair of wheels are here!! After 2 failed deliveries, i ended up having to drive to the other side of nottingham to fetch them from a parcel force depot, a nice little journey that took me 2 and a half ****ing hours!!! on a friday afternoon too. pfft, good job the postage was free. (and the wheels where a bloody bargain)

Need to get the spare hubs ive got into the vice and get the bolts out so i can get the flanges turned down, and then I'll be able to get the front wheels on to check they're ok clearance wise before splashing out on tyres, going for 175/50/13s on the front, and as mentioned before, pinching the front tyres off my peugeot (185/60/13's) to go on the back of the hijet. The pug has been treated to a set of khumo ecsta's (super sticky road legal track tyres) for the summer hence me using the part worns off it.

I have come to the conclusion, that I might build myself some custom seats for the cab. I'll probably use much higher quality and denser foam than the standard seat, allowing my to use less of it, and thus lower the base and get a few inches more space between backrest and steering wheel.
The basic idea this far, is to make a bench type back rest that goes the whole width of the back of the cab with sheet aluminium, then a layer of close cell foam, then maybe a thin layer of softer foam, then trimmed in leather, the seat bases, I think I might make a fiberglass mould of the top of the bonnet hatch seat base thingys, then bond some bolts in where the original seat bolts would be, then with the fiberglass shell, I'll take that and foam it up, again followed by leather. I notice the other day, when sitting in it with the seats taken out, that the shape of the bonnet hatch (what the hell are they actually called?) is rather well arse shaped as it is, so I think I shold be able to get a decent comfy shape with minimal padding.
It'll also make it easier to open the bonnet with the seats in place.

I've also got hold of a steering wheel hub to fit aftermarket steering wheels to hijets(could get more if people would be interested in buying them?)

They will fit pretty much any aftermarket steering wheel except mountney, as for some reason mountney ones have a larger mounting PCD.
I know this because I have a spare mountney wheel kicking around which I'm going to use, and I'm just making a little adapter plate out of 5mm alu to convert the mountey wheel to standard pcd, and bolt that to the hub.

yet more projects within a project!

Oh and did I mention that the previous owner had tried to wire in a cd player, using speaker cable running directly to the battery??

thats all for today folks

johnnyboy666
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyboy666 Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:40 pm

forgot something! the brake adjuster thing that senses how much load you have on the back is now redundant after ive lowered the back, its gone well past its maximum travel! I contemplated making a new bracket to move it up, but then it occurred to me that i don't know if it even works, so I'm just going to remove it completely and replace it with an manually adjustable bias valve, the type with a knob on to increase/reduce the percentage of fluid that goes to the back brake

johnnyboy666
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Where did you get the steering wheel boss from? i ordered one off ebay from hong kong but it never turned up Sad
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyboy666 Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:25 pm

PICS!!!

bit of a project thread - Page 3 13927949644_285c1be990Untitled

bit of a project thread - Page 3 13927464455_7190011d8dUntitled

bit of a project thread - Page 3 13904114082_3720107286Untitled

bit of a project thread - Page 3 13904009862_0139fdab60Untitled

Excuse the wonky lights etc

Possible idea for mudguards to keep the rozzers from pulling me over without the pickup bed on
bit of a project thread - Page 3 13927099434_8d16935240

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ndDqQc]bit of a project thread - Page 3 13926592755_440e1054e3
[url=https://flic.kr/p/ndDqQc]

fbs2s: I think my steering boss was from honk kong too

johnnyboy666
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Cool, you running it without the bed on then? That's going to be mad lol :-)
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyboy666 Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Yeah for the time being, at least with the back off its about 100% faster :p
Nearly put my back out taking the back off, so I reckon it must weight 80kg? Anything to up the bhp per tonne is winner. Probably gonna get some angle steel and some wooden planks to deck the back out at some point

johnnyboy666
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Yeah the bed is pretty heavy to be fair, it surprised me!
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:11 am

I bet its a drift machine bare back.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyboy666 Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

It spins up pretty well, which suprised me considering the distinct lack of power of this engine!

forgot to mention, that there is plenty of clearance for the handbrake cables with these wheels on thankfully. Enough to get my index finger between the two. Will keep an eye on them though to ensure that no contact happens over bumps etc

johnnyboy666
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyboy666 Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Bench seats!!!

bit of a project thread - Page 3 13953006083_22087232d6

bit of a project thread - Page 3 13929748432_c4ae339e2e

bit of a project thread - Page 3 13952772633_935e813e2d

Another thing stolen out of my peugeot parts bin, this is the rear bench base out of a 306cc

fits nicely, might take a bit off the depth though to get back some legroom

johnnyboy666
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ToaseMan Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 pm

I'm liking the leather bench seats.
ToaseMan
ToaseMan
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Yeah nice seats! look almost made to measure Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:30 pm

johnnyboy666 wrote:It spins up pretty well, which suprised me considering the distinct lack of power of this engine c

Beware, porkies have been known to issue section 59 asbos for wheelspinning Hijets Sad
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyboy666 Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 pm

luckily it wont wheel spin for long before it runs out of puff and a gear change is required!

johnnyboy666
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:28 am

loving the wheels, what size are they and how you getting on with the wobble nuts????
Lab_Rat835
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyboy666 Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 am

hard to say on the wobble nuts so far, as ive not had it going much over 30 odd mph with them on, still looking for a better option on the rear. I'm getting the front hubs machined so the centre is the correct diameter for the wheels, so there wont be a problem there.

The rear wheels are 13x7 and the fronts are 13x6 (still need to sort out a pair of tyres for the front when cash flow allows)

johnnyboy666
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:40 am

i look forward to seeing it with all the wheels on will look awsome
Lab_Rat835
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyboy666 Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Cheers!

todays update:

took old gearbox off, replaced with a used one. I now have a reverse gear!!!! which means I can start taking it to work (would be able to park before)
it was a bloody easy job with it being so easy to get at Smile

bit of a project thread - Page 3 14017384482_e585cd26fc_s

[url=https://flic.kr/p/noHMWk]bit of a project thread - Page 3 14040609163_3ec4755497_s

I took off the original gearbox rubber mount, and used a peugeot 205 rear axle rubber mount instead (with a bit of modification) as its a much sturdier and stiffer rubber, and the original was completely shot (as was the spare that came with the gearbox)

It became obvious quite quickly that the propshaft is in fact not quite right. The flange that bolts to the diff flange appears to be a hijet flange welded onto the knuckle off something else. two of the bolt holes match up and two have studs welded in, which made it impossible to get off without cutting the studs with the angle grinder.

No problem I thought, id just drill them out after and use another pair of bolts, but when I got it off, it became apparent that the UJ at the rear is completely collapsed too, so i'm on the hunt for a working one.

I also found the culprit for the thrust bearing chatter, luckily the bearng and clutch looked brand new, however the little spring clip that holds it in place was snapped, causing the noise

bit of a project thread - Page 3 13997443626_36508726af_s

Whilst I was working on it an old bloke who was visiting his son over the road, came to have a chat for a while. He spotted the minilites and has a few minis with various insane engines in. This little pickup is a conversation starter without it even being on the road!

johnnyboy666
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3