Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting Smart car seats....

+2
HighlyJetted
sammyboy
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

smart seats - Fitting Smart car seats.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Fitting Smart car seats....

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Is that how much it is nowadays?

I thought it was £60

But have you been busted twice!

I got fined once about 10 years ago for no seat belt, but really it was just to give me a bit of a ticking off as a boy racer.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

smart seats - Fitting Smart car seats.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Fitting Smart car seats....

Post by Logi Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Yep, double encouragement. Once in the Hijet, once in the truck.
Both pointless. If I hit a car in the Hijet im dead anyway. Hit one in the truxk and if its big enough to.stop me itll crush the cab anyway. Otherwise itll be "WTF was that?"and itll feel like hitting a.pothole.
I find.it better to.avoid crashing......
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Get one of those T shirts with a seat belt on it!

smart seats - Fitting Smart car seats.... - Page 2 Seatbelt_t-shirt
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Manuel_nl Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks for the complements

@HJ I don't understand what you mean with: "Are you sure you trust the seat belt receivers being only part of the engine covers?"
The belt fits fine in the buckle (Industrial standards?) and the buckle is mounted on the original spot where the engineers had it in mind. I think I can trust them. It's not about trust but just about the looks. Smile

@Logi In my former Hijet was a nice steering wheel with a hub comming right out of the shelf but .... It was bought by the former owner I think around 2007. The steer is an Italian brand named SIK. But the hub stil can be any brand. I will contunue my search and as soon as I've got any usefull information I will share it.

smart seats - Fitting Smart car seats.... - Page 2 Sik10

It was a verry ugly one. I couldn't keep the hub because I sold this Hijet before I had I new one. Where could I get a original steer to exchange?. Wel now I now but it's to late.
Manuel_nl
Manuel_nl
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Manuel_nl wrote:@HJ I don't understand what you mean with: "Are you sure you trust the seat belt receivers being only part of the engine covers?"
The belt fits fine in the buckle (Industrial standards?) and the buckle is mounted on the original spot where the engineers had it in mind. I think I can trust them. It's not about trust but just about the looks. Smile

In a smart car, the seat rails are directly bolted to the chassis of the car.

In a hijet, the seat is bolted to a little thin engine cover plate, which is held down by 2 weak hinges, and the close down clip at the front.

If your new seat belt mounting was to be tested by an SVA/IVA like a kit car is over here in the UK or by Euro compliance testing like a production car, it would not be allowed as what it is bolted too isn't structural.

I'm sure it would be fine, but it would cross my mind, which is why I mentioned it. And I think it crossed Logi mind too judging by his comment:-

Logi wrote:Kinda agree with HJ about the seatbelts but then again you'll likely be dead in a collision seatbelts or not Smile

As for a steering wheel boss, don't worry, just cut up your old steering wheel and weld something up:-

HighlyJetted wrote:

New mountney steering wheel boss modified. All you have to do is cut the welds off the mountney one, smack the splined centre boss out, and the original daihatsu one fits the same hole perfectly. Then re-weld it back in place.

smart seats - Fitting Smart car seats.... - Page 2 Wheel210

smart seats - Fitting Smart car seats.... - Page 2 Wheel310

smart seats - Fitting Smart car seats.... - Page 2 Img_7214

smart seats - Fitting Smart car seats.... - Page 2 Img_7215

smart seats - Fitting Smart car seats.... - Page 2 Wheel110

HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Manuel_nl Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Now it's clear to me regarding the seatbelt. I feel save but if the insurance company finds a reason not having to pay in case of whatever, they will use it. So I decided to change it back as it was.
By the way welding you own wheel hub as showed above could also get you in trouble, it's not allowed for the same reasons.
Manuel_nl
Manuel_nl
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Here in the UK we do not need to use TUV or other approved hardware. (yet)

Fabricating your own steering wheel boss is fine.

Now if the wheel comes off in your hand and causes an accident....

That would open a can of worms regarding trying to defend it was "fit for purpose" as the UK motor vehicle construction and use regulations put it.

If it was "fit for purpose" then it wouldn't have come off in your hand and caused an accident. Laughing
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Regarding the seats, they too would pass our annual MOT fine.

But if your passenger dies because the seat belt mounting failed...... well you'd have to defend the fabrication.

Where they wouldn't pass is what we call an IVA = this is the road worthy test for amateur constructed vehicles like kit-cars and DIY home built cars from scratch. There is a whole chapter that define "adequate" seat belt fixing, bolt specifications and geometry for mounting points
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by doraimontv Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Interesante....

doraimontv
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Logi wrote:
Did anyone ever find a steering wheel boss that fitted the Hijet?

Since you cut a steering wheel down to make a boss, can you remember whether it was tapered or not?
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Which bit? The splined shaft? I can measure what you need as I have a wheel-less van!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:28 pm

bushwhacker wrote:Since you cut a steering wheel down to make a boss, can you remember whether it was tapered or not?

I can't even remember what day of the week it is .. Sad

No idea Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:30 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Which bit? The splined shaft? I can measure what you need as I have a wheel-less van!

It's the bit the splined shaft shoves up into. One is tapered (inverted, truncated cone shape) and one is non tapered (cylindrical shape). I just wanted to know which one the European Hijet has.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2