Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smart Car front Seat fitting advice required

+3
Megarett
Logi
Cromwelluk
7 posters

Go down

Smart Car front Seat fitting advice required Empty Smart Car front Seat fitting advice required

Post by Cromwelluk Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Just purchased a pair of Smart Car (SC) front seats and had a quick trail fit , looking to keep them as low as possible and use the seat rails that came with the seats
They fit in very well and the rails are close to the original seat bolt holes so far so good
But the problem I'm having is I cant get enough forward and reverse seat movement for leg room ,  the SC seat base is catching on one side of the hinged seat access plate  there is an indentation but not enough clearance when you push the SC seats backwards
It seems I have 3 choices
1,  pack up the seat adjuster rails  ( not a real option )
2, Reshape the SC seat base , dent inwards the seat base and if needs be removes a bit of the seat foam
3,  Reshape the original seat hinged plate in one corner by the rear mounting bolt

Done  search and cant find a SC seat fitting guide  and I cant be the only one who has had this problem
Looking for advise on the best way to fit them

Eddie
Cromwelluk
Cromwelluk

Back to top Go down

Smart Car front Seat fitting advice required Empty Re: Smart Car front Seat fitting advice required

Post by Logi Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:54 am

No big secret, big hammer, smack the shit outta the engine cover till it fits. Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Smart Car front Seat fitting advice required Empty Re: Smart Car front Seat fitting advice required

Post by Cromwelluk Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:09 pm

Good that was what I was thinking Very Happy
But I'll start with a smaller hammer and then get the big hammer when I get bored
Nice to know I haven't wrecked the engine cover as everybody else mods the seat

Thanks Eddie
Cromwelluk
Cromwelluk

Back to top Go down

Post by Megarett Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:46 pm

We drilled some new holes in the engine cover for ours.
They are amazing! Well worth the money and effort!!!

Megarett
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromwelluk Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks  a very simple mod in the end ,  Had to "hammer " drivers engine cover , but did not bother with the passenger side as there was enough seat  movement.
Be a lot easier if I ever have to do it again .
Ended up drilling the Smart seat rails so they were the same distance mounting holes as the Hijet  and then slotted the original engine cover holes 5 mm and used a larger washer
So there's no additional holes and can be retro fitted

I also cut off the plastic  seat belt guide and the metal bracket it slots over as it seemed to be in the way and looked a bit odd  , need to tidy it up a bit more as its welded to the seat frame
Not sure it I would do that again LOL

As you say well worth the effort and cracking seats, the seat base is about the same "height " as the original so the seating position remains unchanged
Cromwelluk
Cromwelluk

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarface GTti Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:06 pm

Does anybody need any seat solutions for the pickup? Just had a quote for refoaming and retrimming mine and I may as well buy a new truck with decent seats!

Scarface GTti
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:53 pm

I have a pickup with no seats Sad

I need a solution !
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:05 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:I have a pickup with no seats Sad

I need a solution !
Get seats? Razz
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:15 pm

Or weight it in for scrap !!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:27 pm

Can't find any pics on redoing the seats with foam from a Toyota Paseo on the US site?
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarface GTti Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:11 pm

Found something that looks promising. Land Rover Defender front centre seat. Looks a perfect size. I'll see if I can get one at a reasonable price and try it.

Scarface GTti
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:17 am

Nissan - Vanette, Largo
Toyota - Lite ace, previa
Bedford/ Vauxhaul - midi

Basically any mid mounted engine van where you are sitting above the engine. Most have a slim fitting base with a pair of two bolt rails. Should be an easy swap in even if you have to drill new bolt holes in the engine covers.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:22 am

If you fancy a bit of comfort and they may fit as the base is quite shallow then the daewoo matiz might fit the bill?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:03 am

I have got Pickup Seats Matt if you are serious about needing some. If so give me
a call.
The problem is with Trouble Making Old gits like John Logi Baird around, you don't
know what to believe. I am back at the garage today and will send your parts off.

Going down to Cornwall tomorrow untill the 12th if my Hi-Jet Romahome passes it's Mot this morning.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:22 am

Swarfing wrote:Nissan - Vanette, Largo
Toyota - Lite ace, previa
Bedford/ Vauxhaul - midi

Basically any mid mounted engine van where you are sitting above the engine. Most have a slim fitting base with a pair of two bolt rails. Should be an easy swap in even if you have to drill new bolt holes in the engine covers.

I'm not sure you get the problem.

In a pickup its not about the base size, its about the thickness and size of the back. They are flat and only very thin.

They have no lean adjustment, as they just fold against the rear bulkhead.

Any normal seat would so too deep, you would have no leg room and would sit bolt upright.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:24 am

woody wrote:I have got Pickup Seats Matt if you are serious about needing some.  If so give me
a call.
The problem is with  Trouble Making Old gits like John Logi Baird around, you don't
know what to believe. I am back at the garage today and will send your parts off.

Going down to Cornwall tomorrow untill the 12th if my Hi-Jet Romahome passes it's Mot this morning.  

Good luck!

Forget the coil pack as I don't need it.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 am

For what its worth the MR2 seats in my last one were way more comfortable than the smart car seats I've now got.

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:33 pm

I'm not sure you get the problem.

I do as I have a pickup and owned most of the options I gave. the vanette as an example has wings and gives the appearance of a thick back which it does not. You have to go for early models of them all which I should have put. The other advantage is they all had good old lever flip backs

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down