Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anual head gasket replacement

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Anual head gasket replacement - Page 2 Empty Re: Anual head gasket replacement

Post by CoolJet Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:24 pm

@lex i keep that in mind. probably i can make it. will u be there for sure? (its a two and a half hrs ride from my place and about one and a half hrs ride from my other place  Wink )

@raggy It feels good to have everyrthing sorted down there.

I am very happy with the results so far. Everytime i take a look under the hood its bliss.

I bled the system in one day. I jacked the car up just a little bit in the front. Wheels still on the ground. Two times i didnt let the fan come on only waited till the upper hose got really hot. I massaged and sqeezed the hoses. I have chosen a clear hose for my watering can so you can see the bubbles. After the third time there were absolutely no bubbles, not the tiniest. While bleeding i open the cap under the seat half from time to time and let trapped air out. I let the fan come just to see if it works because its the new thermo switch in the rad i had never tested before. Always raised the temps very slowly so it will not boil while unpressurised. No bubbles. I always let it cool down with the watering can attached.
Then after the third cooling i closed it up and have not touched it since then.

Wednesday it was 42° C. I was in cologne deconstructing the BMX World Cup ramps. Autobahn, rush hour city traffic. It was a real torture test. I had a friend with me and i wanted to make the ride enjoyable so i didnt always have the heat blower on. One time i noticed the fan was on for a minute or so. It never came on that long before the fix.  The needle barely hit the center position though. When i stopped i always checked the engine and listen very closely. There was no boiling no hissing absolute silence. Before the fix there was always hissing in the engine when it was very hot.

I drive 50/50 pink premixed coolant plus 200 ml Mocool additive.

When she is really hot the reservoir level rises maybe half to one cm. When shes cool again its back at the exact position i filled her up to.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:04 pm

Sounds a good fix, well done
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Yes I'll be there, three of my cars will be. But also around 400 other old Japanese cars will be there, so don't go if you don't like old Japanese cars of course.
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Did you change the temp feeler for the fan? Because mine only comes on when the needle is almost gone out of the dash...
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:52 pm

No. Its the original one from the new used rad. My old one came on at about the same time. About one mark after the center mark but it depends. That temp senson is not the most acurate i believe. There was always air in the system so it came on only sporadically before anyways. I can give you my old one if i come to the classic sunday.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:53 pm

I hope the esc will arrive soon. I also want to install a second fan to blow on the exaust manifold
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:21 pm

I've got a new one in stock, just not yet grown a pair of balls big enough to take on the job... When I changed the cam belt I saw the water pump had gonorrhea and I didn't have a spare one. So the next belt change I'm planning on taking on the whole cooling system. And to be sure I want an override switch for the fan. As soon as I come to a stand still longer than I can hold my breath I'm fanning.
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2