Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hijet 993 CB42 Changed head gasket and skimmed head, now engine knocks/rattles ?

4 posters

Go down

Hijet 993 CB42 Changed head gasket and skimmed head, now engine knocks/rattles ? Empty Hijet 993 CB42 Changed head gasket and skimmed head, now engine knocks/rattles ?

Post by rededfred Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Hello Everyone.
I hope someone can give me a little advice on my Hijet 993 CB42.
I changed the head gasket and skimmed the head. When I put it all back together
The engine runs fine but there is a Knocking/rattle/tapping sound as if the valves are not adjusted correctly. I have double checked them and they seem ok.
My big fear is that the head might have been skimmed to much causing the valves to bang against the pistons.
Any ideas or advice would be very welcome.
Thank you.
Paul.

rededfred

Back to top Go down

Hijet 993 CB42 Changed head gasket and skimmed head, now engine knocks/rattles ? Empty Re: Hijet 993 CB42 Changed head gasket and skimmed head, now engine knocks/rattles ?

Post by PFM Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Welcome to the madhouse. You're obviously not a beginner as you've changed the head gasket so I take it you've treble-checked the timing. I have a vague recollection of reading something (not Hijet specific) about removing rocker cover and pulgs and rotating engine by hand to see if the valves are coming into contact with the pistons, maybe someone else can fill in the details. Also remember hearing that some pattern Hijet gaskets are thinner than genuine ones. Otherwise I guess it's a case of 'off with her head' - it'll be much quicker the second time!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Hijet 993 CB42 Changed head gasket and skimmed head, now engine knocks/rattles ? Empty Re: Hijet 993 CB42 Changed head gasket and skimmed head, now engine knocks/rattles ?

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Bad times Fred Sad I feel your heart ache, although I don't think you will have skimmed it too much, just at a guess.

This is where you need a bore scope my friend. Take out the plugs and look down the bores to see if you can see the little curved line from valve contact on the piston crowns. Borrow one or buy one off ebay etc, aldi did them a while back.

Yeah I agree with PFM, bring it upto TDC on each pot and see if the valves will still move a bit is a good start.

And again to repeat PFM check the timing belt is on correctly, and you've put the dizzy and leads on correct.

You might just have a rogue washer or something in there.

I'd not recommend running it at all until you sort it as it will only cause more possible damage.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rededfred Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Thank you both for the quick replies and suggestions.
I will give them a try.
Paul.

rededfred

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Welcome, it sound to me that the cam belt is one notch out I did that once looks to all be in the correct place my trick is to use a silver metallic marker and mark the tooth with the timing mark on the engine side as it is easier to see and line up with the mark on the head.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by rededfred Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:04 am

Thanks Rich, I will double check that.
Paul.

rededfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down