Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion

Post by timr Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:53 pm

Just to update my thread hijack (apologies to original poster), I have test fitted the 2 surrounds and grill. I only had to nibble away at some of the edges to get to this stage.

As you can see I had to cut around where the 1.3's lower hinge for the original 1.3 grill.  I will not be removing the lower hinge from the van as although its in the way of the retro fitted front, I don't want to butcher the van. (I briefly wondered whether to fit some lamps or crossbar there!)

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion - Page 2 Dsc_2812[/url]

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion - Page 2 Dsc_2813[/url]

I'm toying with the idea of cutting away more of the SE grill to get it flush, but they weren't originally flush anyway.

I've also started thinking about the wiring for the lights:

The headlights have the same connector so that's no issue. The 993 side and indicator lights connect with standard spade connectors, but rather than cut off the 1.3's plugs for the side and indicator lights I am considering creating "adapter wires". The 1.3 indicator plug looks like 2 x 2.8mm spade connectors, but the side light is a custom 2 pin plug and I have never used pin type crimped connectors - I guess it could work.

I still have to work out how to mount the headlights, not to mention get the van running and repaint it.
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1.3 to 993 Headlight Conversion

Post by Raggy Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Looking good. If I were you (but I am bit anal) I would definitely mod the grille to get it to fit flush so it looks like it should have been there originally. Is the metal with the hole in it the hinge you mention? If you can, bite the bullet and just remove them. Once sorted you won’t go back so just go forward. With the wires, extend the cables with correct connections and don’t do adaptors, just more places for damp to get in. Keep us posted with progress, I will keep an eye on this thread.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by timr Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks Raggy, funny I was just outside looking at the grill and I reckon a little more trimming - the bottom edge is stopping it moving back, so with that removed it should sit pretty flush.

Also, I see what you mean about water getting into the connectors - that certainly makes the job easier. I could leave enough wire on the on the removed plugs for them to be soldered back on in future if needed. That's great - I have a way forward with what I've got - cheers!
timr
timr
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2