Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head gasket

+3
Buffy54
CSI Motors
Raggy
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Head gasket - Page 2 Empty Re: Head gasket

Post by PFM Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Gauge? Log???

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SamT. Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 pm

It was overheating before I got the air out. Runs fine now.
Not sure about a gauge. My LPG system doesn't actually work, previous owner removed the LPG tank because it rusted through. There are some lights on my dash next to the LPG switch which I think act as a gauge.
SamT.
SamT.
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 pm

Got you. Mine tank removed. So how did you resolve heating problem. The merchanic that came and did the job is coming in the morning. He want £60 to change. I'm surprised so much, after leaving with £700 on Monday. He got the moody with me being a woman asking , not telling !! Please can you follow these instructions on filling !!!
His whole personer changed from Mr nice to Mr don't tell me how to do the job. I bought two new caps that woodie advised,( my special encourager, such a beautiful being, and so funny 😂) . I over heated in first run out Monday full of excitement with my grandson. Rad sprayed out. Refilled next day. All good till 5 miles. Cooled down, refilled and free wheeled down the hills ( live in Wales) pulled into my car park and all sprayed out from top of Finn's just under the metal housing under rad cap. I'm just hoping replacement will cure my poorly Romahome. I do do need this made better. It's driving me nuts. I'm so excited then another thing needs doing. I have two weeks to be running for me and my grandson to take a long trip.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:44 pm

SamT that’s a great write up of the bleed procedure, sure to help others that, nice straight forward steps.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SamT. Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks Raggy Smile

Well Buffy, for me it was a faulty thermostat and air in the system, but any number of things can cause overheating. I did change my rad caps as well. It's often a case of crossing possible causes off the list until it's fixed, starting with the cheapest ones first.
SamT.
SamT.
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:48 pm

PFM wrote:Gauge? Log???
It's a small gauge, think it's from when it had LPG. Was curious ifthus would affect how I fill the coolent.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:21 pm

Buffy54 wrote:Just come into this feed. Are you overheating? I have same setup. Having been filled after head gasket and new water pump, I'm overheating after 5 miles. My rad blew out Tuesday. Do you think  this may be the reason?  Bought second hand rad, hoping to fit tomorrow. I notice a small gauge under van, a friend thinks it was log also. Any advise please. Got MOT next week if we can get this sorted. Then it's off to have inner sill and driver's door sill welded. I'm becoming very poor. Thanks all , I could not come this far without good advise. Have a fab weekend.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy If you or your mechanic did not follow this (the Woodie) method of filling then that will be why you are overheating
Air inthe system
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi Sam well done for your hard work. It took me ages when I typed it up on my laptop. Much quicker with a Tablet I must admit.

Right point 4. DON'T PUSH THE FILLER TUBE SNUGLY INTO THE FILLER NECK. THE TAPE COLLAR IS ON THERE FOR AN AIRTIGHT FIT - WHEN THE SYSTEM AND RADIATOR IS OVERFLOWING. YOU NEED TO HAVE JUST THE FILLER PIPE IN THE NECK SO THERE IS A GAP FOR THE AIR TO ESCAPE EASILY. ONCE THE WATER IS COMING OUT OF THE FILLER NECK - - THEN PUSH THE PIPE TAPED COLLAR IN FOR A TIGHT FIT AND USE A WATERING CAN - NOT A FUNNEL. WITH A CAN YOU CAN GET SOME PRESSURE BEHIND THE WATER.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT FROM JACKING THE VEHICLE UP IF YOU FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS AND USE A WATERING CAN, RATHER THAN A FUNNEL.
Other than that - brilliant work my boy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Greybeard Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Forgive me please for jumping in on this thread.

Thanks for the recap on Woody's method. I've read it and reread it and it makes sense to me. Also thanks PFM for the reminder of the wee little bleed cap under the starboard seat. That was timely - I had figured out it had to do with the heater circuit and I'm about to attempt this process in the next few days. Wish me luck guys - I'll let you know who wins haha!

Greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by SamT. Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Cheers Woodie, I try to help where I can. Your method worked wonders on mine Smile

Good luck Greybeard
SamT.
SamT.
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:14 pm

The Boy Done Good. It was a very good Summation - or was it a Sammation?? Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Replaced rad , filled the Woodie way, what would we do without this knowledge. No more overheating. Only just catching up on previous posts. It’s good to be back spending the afternoon reading all the posts.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Buffy54 wrote:Replaced rad , filled the Woodie way, what would we do without this knowledge.  No more overheating. Only just catching up on previous posts. It’s good to be back spending the afternoon reading all the posts.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy, Good to see you have remembered to thank Woodie - cheers cheers Yes what would we do without him.
I hopw you get some time away in your van!
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 pm

Simply trying to find my way around the forum again. And yes I have always remembered to thank Woodie. He has been my rock in the past.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2