Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speaker size/type?

5 posters

Go down

Speaker size/type? Empty Speaker size/type?

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 pm

at the mo i have 2 speakers fitted in to the middle console with a small Amp Velcro'ed to the floor under that. i'd like to improve the sound but am on a tight budget!

i have seen pics of other hijets that have speakers in the front doors. i know that the doors arent deep or have much room to fit anything. i dont want to fit anything in the back as they can get damaged with loads.

what have you lot got away with?
dimensions/ wattage/ amp

running an iPod only. no head unit so only amp direct to speakers + live is used.
Ta
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Speaker size/type? Empty Re: Speaker size/type?

Post by large519 Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:36 pm

hi, my jet's got 13cm round speakers in the front doors, these were already fitted so dont know depth dimensions of them, as i found out when trying to fit 6x9's in the rear the recess behind the panel aren't that deep but the bigger the speaker the bigger the magnet on the back, and bigger the cone. I'm sure 13cm speakers would be quite sufficient to give a better sound. And also after much modification to the dash board i've fitted a standard head unit below the heater control's, involved removing ashtray and cigarette lighter, but they werent needed anyway, it sits slightly out of the console but, with some well crafted ally cheq plate it should look ok. oh and also currently running 400w amp powering 2 x 12inchg subs in a box.
large519
large519
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:44 am

no where to put boxed subs as i need the full rear loading space + occasionally i re-fit all the seats.
do you know what the make of the 13" door speakers are?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by large519 Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:33 pm

I've got pioneer in there at the moment, I'll be removing them tomorrow so will double check mounting depth before purchasing some new ones, I will post the actual size but in the mean time check these pioneer ones out in argos they are only 4.6cm deep, which seems to be average for the 13cm speakers.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5210486/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|15701204|In+car+entertainment|14419559/c_3/4|cat_14419559|Car+speakers|14419564.htm

Yeah the boxed subs are bit of a pain in the arse at the mo, takes up a lot of room, especially when trying to fit a mini bike or mountain bike in the back, my plan is to fit them in the rear tailgate.
large519
large519
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:46 pm

whats wrong with your pioneer set?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Mines got pioneer door speakers too, I thought maybe the dealerships were adding some hifi to improve the standard equipment list. Seen a few with the same pioneer speaker covers as mine.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by large519 Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:00 pm

the set in there at the mo dont work, so need replacing.
large519
large519
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:10 am

Leopard,

Not being funny, but have a scooby (or at the very least borrow from the Library) a copy of a book called 'ICE' published by Haynes in conjunction with Halfords. The ISBN is 1844253686.

or
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAYNES-MAX-POWER-IN-CAR-ENTERTAINMENT-MANUAL-MINT_W0QQitemZ290383382359QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item439c32c757

or
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ICE-Manual-Haynes-Max-Power-Em-Willmott-Good-Book_W0QQitemZ250519512855QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item3a54206717

Well worth a read, giving essential information and advice about fitting and upgrading vehicle electronics; of it's written boy racer style (so there's far more coloured pictures than actual writing) but still really is worth it. One or two of the chapters i.e the stuff about GPS and phones may be a tad out of date now but it's all still relevant...........

I was wondering if I could turn my whole van into one huge bass bazooka cheers cheers
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:45 pm

lol.. i already have a small AMP and set of speaks in place. i just plug the headphone jack in to the iPod and away i go.
the amp powers up off an ignition wire so not left on all the time.

i am just looking to fit a better amp and a new set in the doors. my doors are virgin!
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by large519 Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:06 pm

did you manage to get door speakers? Only when i came to replace mine I bought 13cm speakers but they were bigger than wot were originally in there, so i swapped them for 10cm speakers, it would seem they go by the size of the cone in the speaker I though it was fitting size.
large519
large519
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 am

no, been busy last few weeks on other non-van projects + i reeeealy must get a move on with my bike!
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:17 am

i reeeealy must get a move on with my bike!

LOL I know what you mean...... I've got a project bike sitting on the bench waiting for bodywork thats been there for the last three months (bodywork is all done..... just need to find time between fixing up the bus to get in there and do it). Mind you I've also custom painted another set of bodywork for a mate at the same time so I haven't been wasting all my time Very Happy Very Happy
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:35 pm

i know it sounds like a long time.
i have 2 months to pull my finger out and get the jobs done on my bike and get it back out side. i miss riding it! it maybe cold but winter riding is not an issue with me.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joff Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:29 am

i've got 10cm speakers in the front doors and built a 6x9/sub box that fits in the roof, its brilliant cos it not in the way and sounds excellent

joff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down