Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Door card removal, speaker fitting?

+2
Raggy
PFM
6 posters

Go down

Door card removal, speaker fitting? Empty Door card removal, speaker fitting?

Post by Raggy Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:59 pm

Do I actually need to remove the front door cards to fit speakers, if I do, apart from the word 'carefuly' how do I do it?
On the subject of speakers, I noticed in the door edge there already is a hole for the cables but none in the Hinge pillar. How have people protected the speaker cables between the door and the door frame?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Door card removal, speaker fitting? Empty Re: Door card removal, speaker fitting?

Post by PFM Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:44 pm

Yes. Remove grab-handle (2 phillips screws), opening handle (1 phillips, then wiggle it out and use a thin screwdriver to pop the linkage out from the white plastic socket), then the window-winder handle (a jesus clip - little buggers between the escutcheon and the card - push off with same screwdriver, lose it when it pings away, spend ages searching for it with a magnet, swearing. Tie a bit of string to it to make removal easier next time)

The cards have the circle for the hole nearly perforated, you need a sharp craft knife to finish the job. Take care so the speaker grille covers any rough cuts.

Think I took indicators off on the 1.3 to feed wires through, poked through by door stay on 1.0 I think. Can check tomorrow if needed. Don't worry abiout protection (!) but leave some spare cable in the door just in case it frays.

On reassembly, put spring clip on winder handle first before simply pushing onto regulator splines.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Door card removal, speaker fitting? Empty Re: Door card removal, speaker fitting?

Post by Raggy Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks, yes if you get a chance to have a look please, mines the 993. Shame I have to remove the panel but it was going to come sooner rather than later I suppose, fancy doing something with them at some point. Ah well, it will be practice!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:21 am

Raggy.....before replacing the door cards, line the inside of the door skin with strips of 'Roof Flashing', .....I've done the whole of my van with 'roof flashing', it does the same job of the much more expensive 'Dynamat' at a fraction of the cost.....
Cut to size....peel....and stick to panel......simples Smile .
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p97581?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=sXMBw15Gg_dc&pcrid=68756281583&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CKyVh5LU4cgCFcRAGwod0psB9A

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:44 am

If you want to keep the van looking original too Raggy, I have plenty of the Original Speakers. There is a bit of room for slightly larger speakers if you are striving for a better sound though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:04 am

Wish I had know that the other day, should have know better! Have some 4" Pioneer speaker already fitted in the rear (not the best when trying to listen whilst driving) so got some matching ones to go in the doors (should arrive this morning). As for originality, trying to keep it that way within reason, just more uptodate. Speaking of originality did some graphics onthe computer last night so I can put the original logos back on 'Hijet' on the front, Daihatsu on he back and the long stripe down the side with Daihatsu in it. Do you have a van in your collection with those on that you could put a tape mease across for me? Mine are done from images found on the net so a bit of guess work was involved. If you do, let me know and I'll let you know what dimensions I need ( or anyone else for that matter).
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 am

Yes no problem. I will be at the garage later this afternoon. I have finally finished taking down the warehouse pallet racking in a cave in Ventnor yesterday. What a pig of a job. The lugs had been welded and all the top supports welded to the uprights. Just got to get the whole lot over and into the garage. Give me a call mid afternoon so I can get the measurements off the van whilst talking to you about what and where you want measured.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:06 am

Brilliant, give you a call later.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:11 pm

Cables on my 93's are come out of the door below the check-strap, then just tuck in behind the doorseal on the body - pull seal away, push wires through, push seal back. Won't work if you're using massive cables though.

Oldie - did you flash the outer or inner skin, and how much difference has it made?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by sputnik Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:37 pm

I did my outer skins on all door, boot etc panels, basically whatever I could reach and also added a layer of double foil bubble insulation with contact adhesive in most of the same places. I think Oldie may well have done the exact same.

The van (MPV) still sounds pretty noisy and has a metallic ring (especially since I removed all the seats and carpet too) but it is definitely less like a tin can than before and the doors have a more pleasing thud noise when you close them. Now that I have laid and tiled a new floor it has improved again. Wish I had spent a bit more time doing a more comprehensive job in retrospect but it is deffo worth a go for the price of a roll or two of Flashband. Easy to attach too, I just warmed it a little using a heat gun and used a small edge roller where possible to help press it down, or just my hands where access was trickier.

If it didn't involve tearing off the existing liner I would like to do the roof too as I think that would make a big difference, sound-wise.

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Well, thats just added another item to my ever growing list of jobs to do.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:31 am

PFM wrote:
Oldie - did you flash the outer or inner skin, and how much difference has it made?

I've done very similar to what 'Sputnik' has mentioned except for the foil bubble insulation.

Covered the entire area of the 'outer-door-skin' by overlapping each strip.....

Then removed all the flimsy panels in the rear of the van, and covered all the 'outer-skin' panels with overlapping strips....I then replaced the flimsy panels with 9mm plywood and covered these with Dark Grey corded carpets mats trimmed to size (similar colour to the original van floor carpet)......
then......
The bare-metal panels above the lower ones, I gave them the same treatment too.....overlapped the strips, cut panels from 9mm plywood to fit in the recesses (matching lower panels) covered these panels in same carpet and then glued these panels in-place.

Flashband over the floor and original carpets replaced.

Didn't need to do the roof in my van as it has a headlining (foam-backed material) from front-to-back...... Very Happy .

ps

the corded-carpet rolls came from Aldi and are around 5'x2' in length and cost a couple of quid each.

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by sputnik Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:02 am

My roof also has the original foam backed lining but if you tap the roof it still sounds pretty thin and tinny. I think flash banding would dampen a lot of the noise that echoes around when on the move but as far as I can tell the lining is bonded in place and I can't face ripping it off and then having to fashion a new one so it'll just have to stay as it is.

Mine is an MPV whereas Oldie's sounds like a van so there is presumably a lot more bare metal area to cover.

I keep meaning to post a few photos of the work so far but haven't been able to face the horrors of posting photos yet!

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:44 am

Yes, mine is the Piaggio Porter Van....and no, it doesn't sound 'tinny' or 'metalicky'....
Don't forget that I've 'Flash-banded' the entire floor area and that the panels are now of plywood and carpeted.

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:48 am

oldie wrote:Yes, mine is the Piaggio Porter Van....and no, it doesn't sound 'tinny' or 'metalicky'....
Don't forget that I've 'Flash-banded' the entire floor area and that all the rear panels are now made of plywood and then carpeted.

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:53 am

Wossatt?? Getting forgetful in your old age Oldie. Repeating yourself. There's no hope mate. Have you carpeted your drivers seat too, to make it more comfortable for your boney bum?

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:56 am

woody wrote: Have you carpeted your drivers seat too,  to make it more comfortable for your boney bum?

But you said you love my boney bum tongue .

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:35 am

Once seen never forgotten - so the saying goes. Thankfully I've never ............. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:12 pm

Did someone mention Boney M?

"By the rivers of Babylon....where we sat down.. afro

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Just thought I would update this with a couple of photos that may help someone else who thinks of doing the same, in the end not a difficult job (unless you discount loosing the spring clip and having to fix the window along the way!)
Door card removal, speaker fitting? Imag0213
Threaded the wires through the hole already in the door then via the hole for the coutesy light switch (easy on passenger side..no switch, bit more fiddley on drivers side as had to 'modify' the switch slightly to get the wire past. I was lucky in that behind the door panel there was some masking tape left that had been sprayed the van colour (which I have yet to find out what it is) and used that to hide the wires.
Door card removal, speaker fitting? Imag0214
This shows that the panels do indeed have pre formed holes for speaker and fixings, just need to feel the back carefully for them then cut out.
Door card removal, speaker fitting? Imag0215
Just showing the Flashband (wickes version anyway) on the outer door skin, just another job while panel was off.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgates1000 Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:45 am

Question for oldie...
How did you attach your 9mm ply door cards? Was it rivnuts? Thinking of doing mine soon
jamesgates1000
jamesgates1000
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:23 am

jamesgates1000 wrote:Question for oldie...
How did you attach your 9mm ply door cards? Was it rivnuts? Thinking of doing mine soon

Only used the 9mm ply for panels in the rear of the van.....the lower panels are held in-place with black self-tapping screws...and the panels above are held in-place with a few dabs of silicone.

If you use 9mm ply for the front door card, you may have a problem re-fitting window winder/door-opener etc back onto the spindles....especially if you put any kind of thicker covering onto the ply.

I wanted to keep the original look of the door panels in the front, so I put some strips FlashBand on the reverse side, made some 18mm (depth) speaker-spacers (painted grey matching door card) to give my Rockford Fosgate 6" speakers enough room to sit in the door enclosure.

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down