Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing belt and tensioner renewal

3 posters

Go down

Timing belt and tensioner renewal Empty Timing belt and tensioner renewal

Post by Brainsparks30 Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 pm

I have recently bought a timing belt kit for my 1997 993cc efi with a mind to changeing it myself. The lowest garage price I found so far for labour was £72 inc vat. I am sure that could be better spent somehere else (like on my crap brakes) I have succsessfully done a basic renault 19 one in the past, I am wondering if I need specific locking tools or anything? Can anyone give me a few tips?

Brainsparks30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Timing belt and tensioner renewal Empty Re: Timing belt and tensioner renewal

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi no special tools needed. Remove alternater belt then water pump pulley, then the bottom pulley putting the bolt back, then cam belt covers use a spanner or socket (you need to put the bolt back as you need it to rotate the engine) to rotate the motor over you don't have to take the plugs out it has fairley low compression till you line the timing mark on the cam pulley to the head I usually find the dot on the front and then mark the back as then you can see both from the back as the footwell gets in the way and then the tensioner is held in with one bolt and the spring is hooked in, I haven't got a top cam belt cover fitted and I've had the head off several times it took about half an hour. It is layed out in the manuel which you can download off this site.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Juju1187 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by large519 Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:59 am

Looking at doin my cam belt too, did you need a nut gun to undo the bottom pulley??
large519
large519
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Timing belt and tensioner renewal Empty Progress report

Post by Brainsparks30 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 pm

large519 wrote:Looking at doin my cam belt too, did you need a nut gun to undo the bottom pulley??

I have managed to undo the crankshaft pully nut with an ordinary 1/2'' ratchet without to much difficulty, I put it in a forward gear first. A helper should stand on the brakes at the same time, but my only company was the rain. I found it helpfull to loosen the water pump pully bolts BEFORE removing the auxiliary drive belt, otherwise there is nothing to hold it steady.
It is probably a good idea to re-torque bolts rather than gorilla wrench it when you are done. It probably worth checking oil seals and any other adjacent parts at the same time, I have a sneaking suspicion about where that oil is coming from. Thats as far as I got today, got beaten of by the rain, puddles and dark.

Brainsparks30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:01 pm

I do the same hold the belt to get the water pump bolts undone then in gear and the bottom nut comes off with a 19mm racheting spanner and back on the same way the only thing I always torque is the head other than that it's all done by feel or just FT.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down