Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing belt

+2
elfin girl
stevelav
6 posters

Go down

Timing belt Empty Timing belt

Post by stevelav Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:39 pm

As my 1.3 hijet is 13 years old and is on 59800 miles I am thinking that now i should replace the timing belt.

I am pretty handy, but is this job best left to the professional and how much should I expect to pay for it.

Thanks
Stephen
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Timing belt Empty Re: Timing belt

Post by elfin girl Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:32 pm

I will be doing mine in the next couple of days, I'll let you know if I manage it ok, if I can do it anyone can!
I will be checking back here for any helpfull info posted Very Happy
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:22 pm

great reply thanks.

Yes maybe if your engine ceases then i might fork out the two hundred to the pro's.

Are you replacing all the pulleys (wheels) as well as that is what my garage said is best?
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:55 pm

I think it isn't a problem to do the work for a handy person, on this veichle.
I do the work on all my engines.

The important thing is to ensure proper belt tensioning and positioning, marking the position of pulleys on the engine block before to take off the original belt.

I never replace a timing pulley on my veichles, no one has timing problems, and I drive it for over 200'000kms.

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:35 pm

I have ordered a timing kit which I believe has the pulley thing (!) mainly because I have had to do a list of jobs... Check my thread, https://hijet.forumotion.com/t1041-reasons-why-my-hijet-was-over-heating-1-2-3-4-and-more
And figured for not much more cost I might as replace the pulley thing (!)
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Looks like you've been having fun with your cooling system. I might try and flush mine one day with some sort of de gunger. But I bet its a right faff

Where did you get the timing belt kit and pulley from?
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:33 pm

ended up letting my ex order it as his supplier was only a few quid more (he has his own buisness, figured if there is anything wrong with it its easier to deal with a local supplier) but was going to get one of these
http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Daihatsu_Hi-Jet_Timing%20Belt%20Kits.aspx
i think i did find a belt on its own for about half the price, and as the pully and bearings are metal they should last ok for normal wear

i just uploaded the pics of the head and gasket if your interested!!

i had flushed mine out loads, those little pipes (about 8mm internal diameter) wont flush if they are blocked, the water just takes the easiest route and bypasses!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Belt on my Mazda was fine at 75k, tensioner was on the way out. Always replace the pulleys, realistically you're only going to do the job once unless you plan on keeping it for another 50k miles.
Do it once, do it right, Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Logi wrote:Belt on my Mazda was fine at 75k, tensioner was on the way out. Always replace the pulleys, realistically you're only going to do the job once unless you plan on keeping it for another 50k miles.
Do it once, do it right, Wink

fair point, thats why i figured if iwas doing all this work i might as well pay a bit extra to do the whole job properly, didnt want anything else to go wrong!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Yep, always replace the idler tension pulley as the bearing are often the thing that fails first, or at least sound gritty.

Doing a cam belt is a pretty easy job, often the hardest thing is getting the bolt off the bottom crack pulley. Make sure you use lock tight on the threads when you rebuild them. Then making sure you get it on exactly the right tooth. There are some pictures knocking about regarding the marks

I have lost two different bottom pulleys when test driving cars that I have done the cam belt on so far up to now. If the bottom pulley falls off, the cam belts then walks/drifts off the pulleys, eating into the plastic casing, and eventually falling off causing slightly insignificant engine rightoff kind of issues Mad Laughing
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:39 pm

I've looked at the instructions in the workshop manual and they seem a bit tricky for doing the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys and a 'special tool' is mentioned.

The belt and tensioner pulley seem straightforward enough but what about the 'special tool'

stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 am

First off forget those "special tool number blah" bits in the manual, it's a load of tosh.

The bottom crank pulley on the hijet engines I've screwed with have 4 x 10mm nuts holding the pulley on, which were dead easy to take off. You can then slip the belt off the toothed cam belt crank pulley with easy. No locking tools required.

p.s. read this I've just wrote for daisy - https://hijet.forumotion.com/t1041-reasons-why-my-hijet-was-over-heating-1-2-3-4-and-more#8589
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Did you mean tension pulleys or the timing pulleys on the crankshaft and camshaft?
I meant those two timing pulleys, not the tensioner.
I know that part as "tensioner" or "idler pulley" in English.

Changing the timing pulleys cost a lot of time and money, and is completely useless if the original one is straight and not damaged from rust.

Changing a belt without changing idler pulley(s) is a stupid thing.
If the bearing of the idler breaks off, engine lost his timing and a mess of valves and pistons happens... Very Happy

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:57 pm

When my garage changed the timing belt the only other part they wanted to change (at extra cost) was the tensioner as they said they don't last.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down