Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Warning Light always on

4 posters

Go down

Fuel Warning Light always on Empty Fuel Warning Light always on

Post by Beaner Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:01 pm

Hello again Hijet Hivemind,

I have a small problem with our fuel light. It stays on all the time.

The fuel gauge works fine, it’s just the warning lamp that isn’t playing ball.

As far as I’m aware (judging by how it was when we got it and trying to decipher the wiring diagram I have) there should be a yellow/green wire from the top of the sender that goes to the fuel gauge, And other that goes to the low fuel light?

This fuel light wire, is it attached to the sender mounting screws via a ring terminal? Or is there a 3rd wire which goes to this and the ring terminal wire is just a body earth to be attached nearby?

Basically I’m confused and as all the wiring never functioned properly when we bought it, I don’t have anything to use as a reference.

Can someone just explain to me in simple terms where each wire is supposed to go so I can get this niggly problem sorted before the tank goes back in please.

It’s annoying having a constant yellow reminder of something broken on the dash all the time.

Thanks

Beaner

Beaner
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Fuel Warning Light always on Empty Re: Fuel Warning Light always on

Post by Beaner Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:09 pm

I know there is some info regarding this on the site but it all seems to be regarding the tube type sender and we have the arm type.

Attached is a picture of the top of the unit, it’s so crusty I can’t tell if there was previously another connection point somewhere or if I am missing a part.

Would be grateful of some clarity!

Fuel Warning Light always on Ce764b10
Fuel Warning Light always on F4677f10

Beaner
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:43 am

That looks exactly the same as mine in my 993 and mine does not have a fuel low warning light. Maybe someone on here can advise but maybe it was swapped at some point for the wrong type and the one for yours that has the sensor to say low fuel was broken? The tube trope senders do seem to have issues. Not got a 1.3 so can’t advise on what should be there connector wise.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Beaner Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:48 pm

Spoke to the previous owner and yes as you said it was swapped from a 1L van. No wonder I couldn’t figure out how it worked.

Thanks for the input.

Beaner
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:01 pm

I meant to have a look at an old tube sender I have (somewhere) in my garage. Both my '02 and '08 1.3 vans have the crappy tube-type, so I guessed that's probably your problem. You could stick with your float-type and just remove the low fuel bulb if you can't get a replacement sender (I can only see the float-type in a quick online search).

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Beaner Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:13 pm

It’s far less irritating now it’s off, even if it isn’t right! I’ve just earthed to the battery instead and sealed the low warning light. I’ll have to pull the tank again if it ever needs replacement but that’s fine for now. At least I know it was a square peg round hole now and it wasn’t me going mad.

Nothing beats asking someone who knows! Nice one

Beaner
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:23 am

To be fair to you Bener, you seem pretty switch on, not many people look at the wiring diagrams first and get half a clue of how it works! Sounds like your Hijet has had a fair bit of previous tinkery bodgery from its previous life.
You can actually buy brand new fuel gauge senders from here for the 1.3 tube style ones:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Level-Sensor-Piaggio-Porter-Daihatsu-Hijet-Van-Or-Estate-From-1992/143093087743?epid=17028165982&hash=item2151033dff:g:-OYAAOSwkelcQdz~
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:27 am

Speaking of fuel issues, rotten tanks are the number 1 killer.... (next to brown head lights)

But look what our German friends are selling here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Tank-for-Piaggio-Porter-Van-Estate-1998-2008-Vergaser-Motor-CB41/143553156996?epid=504724284&hash=item216c6f5784:g:g0gAAOSwPcVVzwK9
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:14 am

Though the EFI tanks look to be nearly £700! They list thermostat housings, mirrors, propshafts and window regulators too

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Beaner Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:48 pm

Thanks for the kind words but I’m fumbling my way through this project I can assure you!

Thanks for the link for the fuel sender, at £100 delivered we can definitely live with no warning light!

I actually have another juicy conundrum for you lot so I’ll make a new thread shortly.

Beaner
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down