Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine warning light illumination

4 posters

Go down

Engine warning light illumination Empty Engine warning light illumination

Post by HiJet660cc4WD Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi guys, out on a run earlier today and the engine warning light came on during normal driving... Actually easy enough going!
The light is on steady and remain on after stopping and restarting.
The little van is running fine, no reason to suspect anything untoward otherwise.
Any suggestions, I don't have any local garage to use.
Help?
Cormac.
HiJet660cc4WD
HiJet660cc4WD
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Engine warning light illumination Empty Re: Engine warning light illumination

Post by Logi Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:21 pm

If it's new enough plug it in? Code reader costs around a tenner.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:01 am

It is almost always the Lamda sensor or oxygen sensor getting sooted up. It needs a good thrashing up the by-pass or longer and it will eventually go out. We used to get it on brand new Hi-Jets when I worked at Romahome.

I contacted Daihatsu about it and they said " Don't worry about. It will go out again after a good run. Just ignore it". And that was from the Horses Mouth.
I have a number of Hi-Jets with LPG and if the light comes on, usually if it has been running on tick-over, or crawling along from cold, I just flick it over to LPG and the LPG Gasses are much cleaner and burns the soot off the sensor and within FIVE SECONDS the light goes out - - every time.
Give it the good long thrashing method before you start sprouting grey hairs.

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:18 am

Did the 660cc's have Lambda sensors?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:27 am

Don't know anything about the 660's. Just noticed your Forum name now. Didn't realise that you have a Tonka Toy. But with legislation since 1991 and knowing how ludicrously emissions conscious the Japanese are you have probably got half a dozen of them.
You are going to have to get down and get dirty now. Have a look on the exhaust manifold for a sensor with wires coming out of it to a connector plug in the loom and also have a good inspection of the exhaust system too. There is almost certainly one on there too, usually on the Catalytic Pervertor ( there's a good few of us on here too).
Try the "Thrashing" method first thought. The sensors can be a right baa-lamb to get out. If you have to get them out, disconnect the loom plug and slide a ring spanner (22mm I think) over it and down onto the sensor and just pray that you can get room to move the spanner. Once out give it a wire brushing and you will need to give it a good blow out with an airline. That's about all you can do other than buy new ones, but definitely not from Daihatsu unless you want to have a Coronary !!

Try the good long thrashing first. I have had the Engine light on for days sometimes and then suddenly it will go off. I just ignore it. Its got nothing to do with the engine oil pressure and your big ends. Start worrying if the red oil light comes on when you are driving, then you have got problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Oh this getting old thing !! ( Shut up Oldie). Sorry PFM, didn't notice that it was you that posed the question about the Lamda /Oxygen Sensor. The answer is still the same though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:48 pm

woody wrote:Oh this getting old thing !!  .

I've been quite restrained lately(love a bit of bondage Twisted Evil ) so i may just let this pass without comment Surprised
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJet660cc4WD Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Cheers lads, I think the 'thrashing method' will do nicely... True, for about 20 mins beforehand I was crawling along... Was a good bit from a fuel station before having filled up. My measly 660cc's don't equate to lots of mpg... I've a Range Rover that does as good!!
Won't have it out again until weekend but will give my little sewing machine a right thrashing an let you know!!
HiJet660cc4WD
HiJet660cc4WD
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJet660cc4WD Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Hello again,
I've tried the thrashing the bee-jaysus out of it but warning light still on. There was an earlier reply that mentioned a diagnostics reader.... anyone have a link to one?? .... and where does it plug in??
Thanks
C.
HiJet660cc4WD
HiJet660cc4WD
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJet660cc4WD Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:42 pm

Got my Lambda sensor cleaned (by a former Daihatsu dealer just under an hour from me... Mallow Co. Cork).... He also advised filling her up with a bottle of injection cleaner treatment... And give her a 'good driving'.... Seems to have worked... Let's see if it sorts out my v high fuel consumption... Mine is little 660cc S210 Jap import (4wd too!!!)
HiJet660cc4WD
HiJet660cc4WD
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJet660cc4WD Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:07 pm

Bollox to the whole "clean the lambda sensor" thing!!. Despite getting that done & using so called fuel system cleanerit made no difference at all!
I have a 40year old 3litre V8 Stag that yields better mpg!!
I was only getting about 25mpg (and sometimes even less!). I oredered up a cheapo replacement sensor on ebay (screw the 'genuine Daihatsu sensor') and since fitting it my little wagon is transformed. It's now around the 43mpg mark!!
Mine is a little SP210 version but the sensor was generic (pre-cat version) and is wholeheartedly recommended for anyone suffering same symptoms.
Looks now that the Mongol Rally is once again a possibility!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
HiJet660cc4WD
HiJet660cc4WD
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:16 am

Can't really clean a lambda sensor - its a load of bollocks.

Glad your getting sorted.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJet660cc4WD Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks guys... Me & the HiJet are back to being friends again!! Delighted with the little thing again.... They are like a marriage (good bits & 'troublesome' episodes too Very Happy )
HiJet660cc4WD
HiJet660cc4WD
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:06 pm

HiJet660cc4WD wrote:They are like a marriage (good bits & 'troublesome' episodes too Very Happy )
Nah, that's the Stag you're thinking of!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJet660cc4WD Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:36 pm

I learned about the Stag the hard way... in and outta love with them all
HiJet660cc4WD
HiJet660cc4WD
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content