Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tick tick tick - is it sticking valves?

2 posters

Go down

Tick tick tick - is it sticking valves? Empty Tick tick tick - is it sticking valves?

Post by Chassyh Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 am

Hi, was just parking up my '56 plate Piaggio Porter Van when I got a noise that I thought was a CV joint noise as I had it on full lock. The noise continued when stationary, and listening on tick over it sounds just like a loud ticking noise. Hi anybody had any experience of this? Is it a valve, if it is, has anyone any good solutions - additives etc to try?
Thanks

Chassyh
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Tick tick tick - is it sticking valves? Empty Re: Tick tick tick - is it sticking valves?

Post by Raggy Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Loose tappets? Could be anything depending what tapping it is. CV wouldnt be a fast tapping unless you were turning at 90mph but as its a Hijet thats unlikely.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Tick tick tick - is it sticking valves? Empty Re: Tick tick tick - is it sticking valves?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 pm

Sorry to burst your bubble but "Sticking Valves" is a total nonsense invented by back street Cowboys to cover a plethora of problems that they haven't got a clue about. The only time a valve is likely to stick is if the valve spring breaks and the valve drops and gets hit by the piston and is slightly bent ( like the aforementioned Backstreet Cowboys) and is then stuck in the valve guide so your engine will be running on 3 cylinders. And yours isn't, is it??

Unless you have a 4x4 version then it doesn't have Constant Velocity Joints either.

You need to be more specific and look and listen for where the noise is coming from before there is any chance of a diagnosis of your mystery noise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassyh Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:43 pm

I was sufficiently alarmed to get some professional help. The diagnosis was No. 2 plug had decided to fire out its central electrode which was rattling about in the cylinder ! A new set of plugs later and all is well.

Read more: http://carmechanics.proboards.com/thread/4524/valve-sticking?page=1&scrollTo=61806#ixzz4q1HxsPo6

Chassyh
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Luckily enough you have the four coil pack ignition set up. At least they stop the insulator or in some cases the whole spark plug coming out as no1 or no2 would have done with the two pack wasted spark system.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down