Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie needs help with handbrake cable

+2
8bit-ash
Fuzzydoguk
6 posters

Go down

Newbie needs help with handbrake cable Empty Newbie needs help with handbrake cable

Post by Fuzzydoguk Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi all, looking to buy my first hijet for a camper conversion. Have found what looks like a nice 2001 mpv but the hand brake cables snapped - how easy is this to fix, any tips?

Thanks

James

Fuzzydoguk

Back to top Go down

Newbie needs help with handbrake cable Empty Re: Newbie needs help with handbrake cable

Post by 8bit-ash Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:54 am

I'd get a price on the cable just so you know what to expect, you normally need to be sitting down when getting prices for bits.

Where is it snapped? at the handbrake? Its 3 separate cables, 1 from the handbrake, then behind the engine it splits off into separate cables to each wheel.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Newbie needs help with handbrake cable Empty Re: Newbie needs help with handbrake cable

Post by Fuzzydoguk Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

i dont actually know yet, im picking the van up tonight so will try and have a good look later if the light allows.

I have found a price for all 3 cables and its not awfull (not good either!) but they state they are for a S85 cb42 vans rather than the mpv which is s85 HCE, do you think the cables will be ok?

Thanks

James

Fuzzydoguk

Back to top Go down

Post by kentgpz11 Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:20 pm

I should think the handbrake cables are the same.
I think the only differences between the van & MPV are windows, seats & cost of insurance. Cool
kentgpz11
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi all the other option is to look up speedy cables who make up new bits from patterns sometimes they are cheap sometimes not but I would also check the routing or if its gone through from rot then change all three.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzydoguk Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Cheers guys appreciate the help, just drove the van home was grinning all the way though the speed bumps and lack of handbrake freaked me out some!

Fuzzydoguk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:24 pm

you don't need a roller coaster if you have a hijet and lots of speed humps Very Happy
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzydoguk Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Lol I said that to my girlfriend as she screamed at a few Very Happy

Fuzzydoguk

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:56 am

ya only need a handbrake after you stop...... if your good with clutch/gear control you dont even need it then.
leave it in gear when your at home.

some places can compare the old cable to a new one if you can remove the old one.. my trusty bike shop does this.. :0)
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 am

handbrakes are for parking (or tight turns Razz) only Wink Very Happy

And I never managed to roll my hijet......
even when entering a roundabout doing 40mph and realising I need to turn to the right, and quickly turning the wheel didnt manage it....
but it did go onto 2 wheels...... Cool

A bit of a laugh with speed bumps (if you havent got anything in the back, especially breakables), is to do around 20~30mph as you get to it.
then as soon as the front wheels are on the top of the speed bump and about to go down the other side, hit the brakes hard Very Happy
it will lift the back wheels off the ground if you do it right Very Happy Twisted Evil

Best of luck with the cable though Smile

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:48 pm

illegal i know...
a mate was desperate for a lift and i already had someone else in the front seat.. chucked him in the back, no seats in the back, just seat belts... then went and found a bumpy road with speed bumps.. pmsl!
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down