Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rust Treatment

2 posters

Go down

Rust Treatment Empty Rust Treatment

Post by wrightgeordie Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Just spent the last couple of weeks under my 2002 Jet going over every nook and cranny underneath to see how far the old tin worm has got. Delighted to find that a previous owner had taken the trouble to underseal it some years ago and it has survived surprisingly well despite its years. I found one small patch behind the off side suspension strut needed some welding work and the battery box is a bit thin in places but that's it. Two coats of good old Waxoyl later and she's like new again. just go's to show how much a coat of underseal helps to keep the dreaded rust at bay. Well done and thanks to the previous owner for bothering, the wee van is good for a good few years yet.
wrightgeordie
wrightgeordie
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Rust Treatment Empty Re: Rust Treatment

Post by Raggy Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:30 pm

How did you get underneath, axle stands or ramps. Would like at some point to get under mine. Did look to see if there were any of these garages that rent out their ramps per hour but non close enough really.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by wrightgeordie Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:29 pm

Axle stands, plenty of cardboard on the garage floor for my old bones and graft away with a wire brush. When I found the hole behind the strut I went the whole hog and dropped the steering and front suspension (it comes out all in one piece) and is a surprisingly easy job, this made for easy access to paint the cab underfloor and do the patch repair. Be prepared to get very dirty, her indoors wasn't best pleased with me at times.
wrightgeordie
wrightgeordie
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:50 pm

wrightgeordie wrote:Be prepared to get very dirty, her indoors wasn't best pleased with me at times.
The first bit I have no problem with (ooh err misses!)..the second bit I am used to!
Cant get mine in the garage, the lift up roof just makes it too tall so its an on the drive job, and with the weather at the moment its just not going to get done! A nice summer job then its ready for next winter I think.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by wrightgeordie Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 pm

I agree, good luck
Geordie W
wrightgeordie
wrightgeordie
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down