Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

removal of headlight

2 posters

Go down

removal of headlight Empty removal of headlight

Post by elfin girl Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:08 pm

cant belive im still here, had this van over 7 years now and its still going good Very Happy
however things are starting to show signs of wear!

yep, drivers side headlight chrome is looking pretty sad, im not looking forward to trying to sort it. MOT due in jan so need to be prepared. but cant do anything until i can get the headlight out...
how the heck do i do that?! Laughing

ive had a search on the site and surprised i didnt find any posts about it, maybe im missing something obvious.

so, call me me stupid if you like, just include some detailed instructions that a child can follow Razz
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

removal of headlight Empty Re: removal of headlight

Post by Logi Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:34 am

Remove internal cover.Remove the indicator, spring hooks on the inside, slide it out, revealing 2 screws, remove them, headlight surround can now be removed, it pops out of the other fixings, revealing the healamp mounting bolts.
Use loads of WD40.
Hth
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:56 am

No not stupid at all. The first time you do any job and you don't have someone to show you or help you over the phone or best of all a book, in this case workshop manual then you have to work it out for yourself.....
Which thanks to the people who design things are very clever at that, but TOTALLY USELESS at hands on.
So don't berate yourself. You are not alone. I am still doing jobs on Hi-Jets that after 12 years I have never done before and loads of different jobs in my Handyman Work that I have to look at and figure out how the hell it comes apart.

What I will advise you and everyone on here is GET YOUR PHONE OUT AND PHOTOGRAPH EVERY STAGE OF THE STRIPDOWN ON ANY JOB YOU ARE DOING particularly wiring jobs.
Then when you come to reassemble the bits you can refer to your pictures and see exactly where that damn bolt or screw you have left over goes. It's usually from the first stage of the reassembly so you gotta strip it down again

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:22 am

ahhh, ok thanks guys, ill have a look tomorow if its not raining! cheers for reminder re pictures!
ive already had to shear off the bolt to the internal cover on the passenger side as headlight bulb needed replacing, then found the conecter plug and wires were worse for wear so waiting for new ones to rewire it, just need to work out a way to hold the cover back on now as cant be doing with trying to drill out the bolt with my sore wrists!
on a totaly different note, also need to look at the steering, i think its got a bit heavy (or its my wrists being crap) im sure i read a thread on that here somwhere tho
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:47 am

Those dratted little 8mm bolts often break off due to rusty thread. I just drill a small hole, 3mm or 4mm depending on the size of the Self-tapping screw you need to use. Try and find a screw about 15mm long with a large flat flanged head. Drill the hole a couple of millimetres away from the original bolt, either side, as there is a capsulated nut behind and if you drill too close and drill into the nut then you won't be able to get the Self-tapping screw in.
I have new bulb connector kits in stock if you don't have any luck with that.
On the steering issue, there is a grease nipped on central steering pivot on the cross member. You will have to do a bit of digging on the Forum for that article on steering. Hopefully one of our kind members will know where it is and give you some details of where to find it.
My email address is : hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:33 pm

Logi wrote:Remove internal cover.Remove the indicator, spring hooks on the inside, slide it out, revealing 2 screws, remove them,  headlight surround can now be removed, it pops out of the other fixings, revealing the healamp mounting bolts.
Use loads of WD40.
Hth

Well I had a look while retiring the light on the near side today and I can't see what your talking about, the indicator is behind the door post can't see any Spring hooks?

It looks like the headlight may have plastic clips that need pushing in or something to unclip it but can't be sure as its a tiny space and can't really see much. Noticed the side light has come out of its hole and can't get that back in!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:38 am

It is just a silver coloured metal loop that is big enough to use your finger ( I've got to be very careful here how I word this, or it will certainly be misinterpreted by a certain Scotsman) to pull back towards you then move slightly to the middle of the footwell and release the tension and the whole unit slides out revealing the two screws on the Headlight Bezel that Logi mentioned.

That spring loop does take a bit of pulling back ( stop it Logi).
There is a Z shaped bend in the spring and loop assembly that hooks over part of the Headlight moulding to hold the indicator light in place. Once you have done it you will kick yourself when you see how easy it actually is ( just like posting photos on this Forum - NOT!!).
But it is like a lot of jobs the first time you attempt it, - if you haven't got pictures or a manual or someone to show you how to - it can be a right pain in the butt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:48 am

With great restraint, I won't mention fingers, holes or hard pulling...

BUT,

Make sure the indicator unit is properly slid into it's location, it's easy to fail to align it.
And the springy loopy fingery hole is on the inside of the door post at the back of the headlamp Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:52 am

:joker Fantastic self restraint there Logi. You must be mellowing with age you old Soothsayer you.
( Actually I find your braw Scots humour absolutely hilarious, but I have got to keep up this picture of being the prude and you the villain of the peace - it makes for great amusing reading on here - but keep it to yourself. clown Very Happy)

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:46 pm

Ok, I'll have another look when I get the chance. Yep supprised at the lack of editing previous posts re holes ect Laughing
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down