Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Window Blues...

4 posters

Go down

Window Blues... Empty Window Blues...

Post by Raggy Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:47 pm

Window Blues... Imag0212
Now I know I intended to open the door up and fit speakers but didnt intend having to open them up to find out why the window stopped moving yet the handle did! Now I know why! Talk about sticking windows, this is now the opposite. Any ideas what adhesive I'll need to fix them back, or could I get new brackets. Will stick it again if that will work though. At least I can now fit the speakers!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Window Blues... Empty Re: Window Blues...

Post by Guest Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:21 pm

The only adhesive to stick almost anything to anything is Polyurethane. I always use Wurth products. It works out about £5 a tube. Silicone is a complete waste of time and money even in bathrooms which it is allegedly designed. It's rubbish. It just pulls off tiles or Plastic window frames of the Double Glazed variety.
It is impossible to pull polyurethane off once set, yet it moves and handles vibration ( don't go down that road Logi - - behave yourself). Wood to metal , glass to plastic and numerous combinations.

About the only thing it doesn't seem to like besides too much heat, is the oily type plastic of windscreen washer bottles on BMW's. Great for sealing sump gaskets even temporary repairs on leaking sumps. Don't leave home without it.
Great for practical jokes sticking cups and mugs to work surfaces and all sorts of mischievous fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:27 pm

woody wrote:
Great for practical jokes sticking cups and mugs to work  surfaces and all sorts of mischievous fun.
Not that you would have ever done anything like that before being an upstanding person of the community Laughing Laughing Laughing
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Blinking right I have. The first time I did it I was16 and such one of Grandma's best Bone China Saucers to the table and the Bone China Cup to the saucer with a double sided sticky pad. She pulled the handle off her favourite cup. I was in a state of aperplexy at the sight of the delicate handle around her little pinky.

I could write a book about all the tricks I have played in my life and still playing.

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:59 pm

woody wrote:Blinking right I have. The first time I did it I was16 and such one of Grandma's best Bone China Saucers to the table and the Bone China Cup to the saucer with a double sided sticky pad. She pulled the handle off her favourite cup. I was in a state of aperplexy at the sight  of the delicate  handle  around her little pinky.

I could write a book about all the tricks I have played in my life and still playing.

Grow up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 pm

Now why on earth would I want to do a daft thing like that for Waz? Life as an adult is too boring.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:32 am

woody wrote: The first time I did it I was16 and such one of Grandma's best Bone China Saucers to the table and the Bone China Cup to the saucer with a double sided sticky pad.

I didn't even know that 'double sided sticky tape' was available so long ago tongue lol! ,

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:36 am

Actually I was 18 in 1968 and workworking for Unilever which Birdseye was part of. The reps used to have a store cupboard by Coldstore tearoom. All their advertising display stuff was kept in there.
They had double sided tape and half inch square double sided sponge pads about 3-4mm thick. It was made by the 3M Company of Minnesota and wasn't on general release to the public for another couple of years. Certainly had loads of fun with them down the pub etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:53 pm

Think I have sorted the window with a description from Woody how it is suppoed to work....but....putting it back togethervthe stupid spring clip frim the winder handle shot off! No chance of finding it as bushes and conifers at the side. Now who said you needed to be really careful about those clips as they ping off anywhere! Crying or Very sad
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:16 pm

Must have been a really smart chap I reckon! You might try 'fishing' with a telescopic magnet, otherwise I think HJ bought a big bag of them a while back.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:25 pm

No worries Raggy. I will put a couple of the UFO'S in with the window trim.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:37 pm

PFM wrote:Must have been a really smart chap I reckon! You might try 'fishing' with a telescopic magnet, otherwise I think HJ bought a big bag of them a while back.
Yes was a really smart and helpful chap! Laughing  Just cant believe how easily it pinged off! One minute it was almost done, next it had gone to a different dimension and somehow the air turned blue? Ah well lesson learnt hard way, but would need metal detector or a psychic to find that one!
Just found that thread by HJ but Woody comming to the rescue as hes sorting me out sonething else as well.
At least I got my speaker installed (the original job!), rebonded the window to its mountings and flash banded the door while it was off. Good practice for the drivers side door I still got to do!

Last edited by Raggy on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:47 pm

Well at least the colour of he language matched the colour of your van. You wait till you bash your bonse on the splined stub of the window winder mechanism. The air will be multicoloured.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:52 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing that statement sounds like its from previous experience!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:39 pm

Er thousands actually. Literally. My bald bonse has been a battering ram, split open by a golf club and 4 stitches, landed on after a 9 feet fall and bounce off a concrete path from a rotten garage roof, split my forehead wide open walking straight onto the end of a scaffold pipe and countless nuts and bolts and sharp objects under cars vans and lorries.
And I still haven't learnt. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Update: Just a tip for anyone putting back the window handle back onto the door....put the spring clip on the handle first, then put the handle on the spindle, dead simple and straight on. Lost spring last time trying to put handle on then fit spring behind it! Still leaves the tricky job of getting it off but a small wire hooked at the end (as Woody suggested but with a dentists tool) does the job nicely. Thanks Woody for the clip!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:17 pm

I've heard of that tip before Very Happy Did you remember to tie a bit of string to the clip so you can pull it off easily next time?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:23 pm

I like that idea PFM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down