Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternator mounting point SNAPPED OFF!

Go down

Alternator mounting point SNAPPED OFF! Empty Alternator mounting point SNAPPED OFF!

Post by williamblah1 Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:51 pm

So two weeks into ownership of my 1.2d Hijet, the mounting 'ears' that the alternator was bolted to have snapped off the engine.

It's aluminium, so a pain to get welded (and maybe impossible given the underseat access).

Any suggestions? I think this van tops my list of bad purchases (and I have bought some crappers in my time!!!)

williamblah1

Back to top Go down

Alternator mounting point SNAPPED OFF! Empty Re: Alternator mounting point SNAPPED OFF!

Post by williamblah1 Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:43 am

Any reason why I couldn't use a tonne of that epoxy weld putty stuff?

williamblah1

Back to top Go down

Alternator mounting point SNAPPED OFF! Empty Re: Alternator mounting point SNAPPED OFF!

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:19 am

I very little chance of that working as the alloy is porous to an extent and the oil would stop the surfaces bonding besides which there is far too much vibration and obviously the alternator is under beltbelt tension. If it's the lower mounting point the engine mounting bracket is close by and if you know or can find a skilled metal worker you can bolt a plate on using longer engine mounting bolts and fabricate a steel assembly to mount it on. Not going to be easy or cheap but no chance of welding it.

Can't see the top mounting in the pictures on my phone but there are usually bolts somewhere to hand to use for mounting a bracket. Just going to be fiddly and time and money consuming.

Back to top Go down

Post by williamblah1 Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:56 am

I was thinking of using the epoxy to sort of 'sandwich' at the join:

#||#
#||#
#//#
#||#
#||#

There are a lot grooves and ridges, and I was hoping to just sort of use an absolute lump of the stuff.

I say this because I currently have 3 dead vehicles now sitting on the drive, and next to no money left, and I haven't even had a chance to have the Hijet serviced since I bought it - but frankly I'm not too sure the engine will last another couple of years (I only needed the thing for 6 months!).

You talk about top and lower mounting - is there another place to mount the alternator?

To be honest I don't think I can afford a skilled metal worker - is there anything you reckon I could do myself?

Otherwise I think I'll just have to sell it on as a non-runner and take another loss?

williamblah1

Back to top Go down

Post by williamblah1 Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:57 am

It just seems so frustrating that it's a fully working engine and fully working alternator, I just lack the knowledge to mount the damn thing

williamblah1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:52 pm

Right young man. Get the seats up and get your head in the engine compartment. The only way to learn if you haven't had the a College Mechanics Course as I didn't then get started on the College of Life.
Any thing mechanical has been designed and built so get your phone camera out and start by taking a good few pictures from various awkward angles so that you can see what you are dismantling and have a start of your own Workshop record. That goes for anything mechanical or other wise. Electronics for me are a no no as I never had the equipment for it. Best left to the knowledgeable like Matt.
First of all which bracket is broken off??
Think logically, there has to be at least two brackets usually three. In this case there are two.
The mounting bracket or pivot is in this case on the top. The alternator hangs downwards so logically there has to be an adjuster underneath. Both bolts are 17mm heads. If the top mounting bolt casting has broken then you are in trouble. The bottom one you can get around probably. There is some meat on the casting so you could drill another hole and fabricate a bracket. There is a 10mm bolt below the casting holding a wiring loom bracket which could be utilized.
If you email me you mobile number then I will put it in my contacts and text you when done then you can call me. I have Call Blocker in place. hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com
Woody.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down