Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shear hell! How to deal with snapped bolts?

+2
FrontBackSide2Side
harrythehamster
6 posters

Go down

Shear hell! How to deal with snapped bolts? Empty Shear hell! How to deal with snapped bolts?

Post by harrythehamster Thu May 01, 2014 4:19 pm

In the process of removing my air filter housing I removed the plastic guard from underneath but have sheared all three bolts holding it on.
I sprayed them with WD and was very gentle but they just snapped anyway.

I've never had this problem before and wonder what the best way of removing the sheared bolt from the hole is?
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Shear hell! How to deal with snapped bolts? Empty Re: Shear hell! How to deal with snapped bolts?

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Thu May 01, 2014 4:26 pm

It will be near impossible if they are rusted in, i would drill them out and retap them Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Shear hell! How to deal with snapped bolts? Empty Re: Shear hell! How to deal with snapped bolts?

Post by Lab_Rat835 Thu May 01, 2014 6:22 pm

best way is use a stud extractor with loads of heat here is a link t a cheap set on ebay

stud extractor
Lab_Rat835
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu May 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Ive given up with easy out stud extractors, worst case is you snap them in them in situe and they are a bitch to drill out.

I just drill out snapped bolts the helicoil down to the original size.

Originally I thought it was because I was using cheap easy outs, so I bought some expensive ones but they were no better.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Thu May 01, 2014 8:00 pm

Easy outs are only any good if the sheared bit of the pin is free in my experience, even then i use a hammer and centre punch.
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu May 01, 2014 9:10 pm

FrontBackSide2Side wrote:Easy outs are only any good if the sheared bit of the pin is free in my experience, even then i use a hammer and centre punch.

^^^^^^ THIS

They only work if the bolt is slack, whereas then if it was slack you wouldn't snap the bugger in the first place!
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu May 01, 2014 11:42 pm

They turn the stuck bit of stud into more like a rawlplug at the easy out expands the drilled out tube more and more as you put force onto it only making it bind harder.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Thu May 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Very true!
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri May 02, 2014 6:03 am

A portable mini welding kit is a lifesaver, wee ones with Mapp gas are available for around the hundred quid mark, not much use for welding really but as a heat source it'll save you from loads of hassle.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri May 02, 2014 8:29 am

I love my turbo torch with a bottle of MAPP gas.

It is loads hotter than propane or butane, and the turbo torch flame shape is really focused and intense.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 Fri May 02, 2014 8:55 am

HighlyJetted wrote:I love my turbo torch with a bottle of MAPP gas.

It is loads hotter than propane or butane, and the turbo torch flame shape is really focused and intense.

its what i use^^^^

easy outs can break if you put too much force on them, the trick is plenty of heat and just feel it, i have had mine years and never had a problem, i have even removed sheared wheel studs with them
Lab_Rat835
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ldv.tek Sat May 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Another method is too weld a nut onto the remains of the stud.

Can be used with a protruding stud or if its been snapped flush.

The heat from the weldor free's it up and you have a nut to use a spanner socket set rather than swearing with easy outs, drill, mole grips etc.

Doesnt work in all scenarios but another excellent method, saved me many hours over the years.

ldv.tek
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Shear hell! How to deal with snapped bolts? Empty Sorted!

Post by harrythehamster Wed May 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Tried extractors. Naff. Bolts were like the had been welded in and weren't budging although I did manage to get the extractors out.
I ended up drilling straight through in increasing sizes of bit and fitting new bolts through the hole and fixing with nuts underneath.

Took bloody ages though!
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down