Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

993 Core plug

3 posters

Go down

993 Core plug Empty 993 Core plug

Post by PFM Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Having got my 1995 993 Hijet back from the MOT, and then waited till today for the snow to melt, I thought I'd better check the levels. Water is now pi**ing out from somewhere just below the distributor Sad I think I can feel a core plug, but it seems intact. Will get some light on it tomorrow - it's not easy to see. Has anyone replaced this plug before?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

993 Core plug Empty Re: 993 Core plug

Post by leopard_pagan Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:23 am

no, but if a plug has blown, you also need to check your coolant, do you have anti-freeze in it? the right amount?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:22 pm

I think that question should be DID I have enough antifreeze in, but you're quite right! There was before I took it for the MOT but I've had a small leak from the back of the engine (probably from the same place, actually) for some time and regularly top-up. With the garage running it for the emissions test and moving it around whilst waiting for the parts, I guess the water and/or protection levels had dropped. Hence, when it sat in the snow, something gave. Am going to have a look at it this afternoon, but it's a tricky place to get to!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:17 pm

while doing the gasket job the other month, my mate was telling me about these plugs.. and that they are designed to pop when the block freezes. its a safety thing.

best thing is to phone daihatsu and ask how much a plug is.. as to fitting.. no idea i expect some kind of press will be used to wedge it in!

and... Put antifreeze in it NOW before another plug blows.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Have just de-frosted fingers after investigating. Core-plug is still present, but has a small hole rusted through. They are steel, and it's probably due to many summers running without inhibitor in the coolant. Am considering plugging the hole with metal epoxy as a temporary measure as it's going to be a swine to get to. BTW, usual method of installing a core plug is using a socket as a drift to hammer it in.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:40 am

ahhh yes, good ol sockets as drifts.. good for wheel bearings too.. on a bike!
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:54 pm

And don't forget to give it a good tap with the ball pain end so you put a little dent in it so it can have a little expansion before it pops, My mate did fix a core plug a few years ago with chemical metal and it held to the summer but it needs to be dry and clean if the hole is small enough you could put a self tapping screw in with a but of chemical metal to seal.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks, Rich - I might try the temporary route for quickness (and interest!). Should be warmer here Friday, so might do it then.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:28 pm

This job got shelved due to the temperature and Christmas. Got some new core-plugs on Saturday, failed to get the old one out and gave up after 1.5 hours. Sunday, old plug came out in 2 minutes, new one fitted, filled system and ran up to temperature - all ok. Very relieved. 5 minutes down the road and overheating like a good 'un! Grrrr. There are 2 metal water pipes right above the crossmember, one goes to the rad and one to the heater (via hoses), and the heater one on mine has split. Luckily I have a 'spares' van, but it looks a pain to get at... Oh well, who wants a new vehicle anyway???

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down