Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power

3 posters

Go down

need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power Empty need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power

Post by kitoy Tue May 12, 2015 9:18 am

Hi I'm kitoy from manila, it's been a year since I've purchased our hijet, it's a 993 petrol van '98 model, the problem started when we were driving back home, the engine feels like to misfire over and over, the vehicle was jerking the whole time, it was very hard to manage her, if I were to put her on 1st-2nd gear and step on the accelerator I can hear back fires coming from the carb and the engine jerks off wildly , I need to stay on 4th where I only need to supply her with an ample amount gas and stay at a certain speed, but by the time we've reached the last kilometers of the journey I could really say the loss of engine power, we were only travelling around 20-30 kph and no more, put on some gas and she jerks wildly again and would seem to die down, I can't remove my foot on the gas at traffic stops because I can feel that she can't idle by her self and possibly stop from running. The following day I managed to clean the carb, I've also discovered that the sparks coming from the coil were not sufficient enough or maybe weak. I tried an ohmmeter to the coil, the primary winding seems okay the secondary maybe I think way below it's resistance? parts replaced: fuel filter, spark plugs, the hi tension wires just 2 months old, and still the problem persists she seemed to suffer back fires on hi revs and still I think misfires, does the problem occur because of the weak sparks from the coil? carb issues? fuel pump?   Thanks guys kitoy from Manila need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power 10425444_10205331759346817_258543833220899411_n

kitoy

Back to top Go down

need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power Empty Re: need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power

Post by Swarfing Tue May 12, 2015 3:08 pm

kumusta

Does it feel like you being dragged back when you accelerate? Does the voltage rise when you start the car? maybe alternator?
Affects as you describe could be many things? Sounds a lot like a CAM sensor/ Position sensor though, check the wiring to this is not lose or broken. This can affect the timing and fuel delivery. I am not sure what the resistance should be for this sensor?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power Empty Re: need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power

Post by kitoy Tue May 12, 2015 4:50 pm

likewise kamusta,    

It felt like being pushed and suddenly being pulled back, my passengers were all complaining because of the jerky ride, heck like a rodeo, I'll try to be graphic as possible , from a stop, gear 1 gas vroooooom then pop pop pop coming from the carb and feels like the engines gonna stall, and it felt like it's jumping from 1 cylinder to the next, I need to keep it on low rpm just to be on a steady phase. I've installed a digital voltage meter to get a visual on voltage activity and it seemed to be accurate enough I tested it side by side with a multi-meter, yes the alternator seems to be functional on idle it measures around 13 and peaks around 14 volts, I can't find the manufacturers specifications for the ignition coils values so I can compare my test, but it reads:set at 20k ohms - primary=0.8 secondary= 1.18, the secondary winding seems to be faulty, I know that it needs to reach a higher value something around 6-9. I'll test the ones you've mentioned tomorrow. I think you're right about timing seemed to be out a lot.

Thanks a lot sir Very Happy

kitoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Tue May 12, 2015 5:32 pm

I hope it is the answer just let us know how you get on. I'm sure others can come up with alternative suggestions if it is not the case. The voltage for the sensor should be in the milivolt range and you will need to have the engine running whilst checking that. Hopefully the manuals on this site may give the resistance values unless anybody else knows what they are off the top of their heads.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue May 12, 2015 8:33 pm

I don't think you have just one problem.

I think your ignition timing is not working correctly - i'm guessing your advance and retard is not working correctly. Maybe check the vacuum lines, the the diaphragm

You need to monitor the ignition timing with a timing light and mark the front pulley.

I think your carb is not functioning correctly.

Sorry to be vague.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kitoy Wed May 20, 2015 1:10 pm

Kamusta Guys,

Good news... I followed all the instructions that you guys mentioned in repairing my HIJET, it worked guys, I cleaned the carb again, reset the air and fuel mixture screws, cleaned the air filter, now the tricky part was adjusting the timing on the distributor. I dismantled the cover, cleaned all the possible parts which I think is faulty or dirty, sanded the contact leads and finally the adjusting the distributor itself. I have a timing gun but I can seem to find the timing marks? So I ended adjusting it manually, it seemed to run fine at first, the idle is fine, the moment of truth was when applying gas, at first she still hesitates, the back fires were no longer like the ones previously mentioned, increment by increment as I adjusted the distributor setting, now l seemed to finally have the most appropriate adjustment for the distributor, even at high revs no more back fires were observed, the engines does not shake anymore, idles very good, now from what I seem to observe the wire harness that travels to supply voltage to the ignition coil seems faulty, Guys does the voltage needed to power the ignition coil supposed to be +/- 12vdc right? the supply voltage is only 10.8 as measured at key on. Where should I now start to trace this low supply? or should I simply need to replace the old harness leading to the ignition coil by fabricating one? battery voltage as measured is 12.4 volts, what else guys do I need to measure to trace the fault?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS FOR THE NICE ADVISES.
MORE POWER TO THE GROUP. " Mabuhay"
-kitoy from Manila

kitoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Wed May 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Well done Kitoy knew you would get to the bottom of it in the end.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Wed May 20, 2015 6:01 pm

Question for you Kitoy, are headlights easy and cheap to get hold of where you live for the S85?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kitoy Thu May 21, 2015 11:50 am

Well yes, and plenty to choose from, are you looking for this part? Mine when we got the van, the head lamps where already replaced, I noticed this when I wanted to try out led bulbs,they were replaced by a sealed beam type. Two streets here in manila cater to Japanese, European and American spare parts, either surplus, brand new or brand new surplus or more commonly known as old stocks. Parts ranging from small screws to bumpers, doors, engines, tyranny etc. You could actually build a vehicle here with just surplus parts, patience is the key element when looking for something here, the deeper you dig the cheaper it gets when looking hard to find ones, if you happened to go on a dead end, there are a lot of guys there on the streets offering and asking what you're looking for, they are the ones who know where to find what you're looking for, the only catch in using these guys is that they will charge you more roughly around 5 to 10% more than what the stores offer. I only use these guys only if I know I seem to run out of time before all the stores close at 5:00 or come back the next day. Do you have a picture of this headlight? or do we share the same design?need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power 10387532_10204129534571949_8332086925663377966_n

kitoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Thu May 21, 2015 9:52 pm

This is the type we are looking for but will need to be for right hand drive for the UK, These are getting more rare by the minute here.

need some helpful advise my hijet slowly lost it's engine power Img_2018

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kitoy Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 am

Hello,
the headlamps your asking maybe hard to find here, they say they don't  have that version being sold here in manila, the square ones are the easiest to find, I'll come back at Tuesday to  check on 5 more warehouses, I left pictures of the headlamp on the stores I've visited and asked them if they can help me source it out. It just so happened I stumbled on a replacement ignition coil   and bought it as a spare, I'm really suspicious about my old coil, don't want to take on chances along the road.
The moment I struck luck on your headlight I'll send a message here immediately.

Kitoy

kitoy

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun May 24, 2015 9:52 am

You will not source this type of headlight in asia because the asian market never got these headlights.

They were only ever made for the Itallian manufactured piaggio hijets.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 4:27 pm

Am I right in thinking that they were only made in Italy and France by Valeo, Matt??

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon May 25, 2015 12:18 am

Dunno where the headlights were made, possibly eastern europe somewhere. But only the piaggio made s85 hijets had them, all the japanese made s85 hijets were the pre face lift type.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by kitoy Thu May 28, 2015 5:15 pm

I think you,re right guys, sorry no luck looking for this type of headlamps, just visited the last of the warehouses. Rolling Eyes

kitoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 28, 2015 5:21 pm

Good man for trying. Thank you very much for your effort. Much appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post by kitoy Sat May 30, 2015 11:36 am

No problem, those stores and warehouses are just a few kilometers away from where I work, who knows we may stumble into something useful..

Thanks too guys.. Very Happy

kitoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:29 am

Kitoy thanks for giving your time on looking for us.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kitoy Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:09 am

no problem sir, doing this for the love of our hijets... Wink

kitoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down