Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dust shield and exhaust shields - MOT

3 posters

Go down

Dust shield and exhaust shields - MOT Empty Dust shield and exhaust shields - MOT

Post by harrythehamster Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Just doing some pre MOT checks - dust shields on both front brakes are fooked. One is split and looks pretty dangerous - like it could get snarled up the brakes. As I understand it these are not testable items so I'm planning to just bash them off - any thoughts?

Also exhaust heat shield is for the most part missing - I have no plans for this as I believe this also is not a testable item.
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Dust shield and exhaust shields - MOT Empty Re: Dust shield and exhaust shields - MOT

Post by ElwoodLivesey Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:36 pm

Don't dick about with brakes. I'm no fan of failing MOT's and I love a bit of living on the edge but I like to stop living on the edge when I brake.
ElwoodLivesey
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Dust shield and exhaust shields - MOT Empty Re: Dust shield and exhaust shields - MOT

Post by harrythehamster Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:30 pm

Er...its not dicking about, its removing the dust cover which is not an active part of the braking system, it will knock off easily with a hammer.

As I understand it is not a testable item, if it was I would replace - the way MOT regs have been going I want to check if anyone has any experience of this. The intent of the dust cover is supposed to be to prevent unwanted debris getting stuck between the pads and discs. As they only cover half of the mech anyway many people think this is a waste of time and also could cause as many jams as it prevents with things getting stuck in the guard.

If I leave it on it could drop rusty metal into my brakes which will then have a good chance of dicking about with the brakes. If I bash it off and file down any edges I don't even have to remove any bolts. When I say bash I don't mean blindly flinging a sledgehammer, I mean careful tapping - the rust is so bad it will not take much to do.

Thanks for the advice - brakes are of course very important and nobody should 'dick about' with brakes.
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Rag week?
ElwoodLivesey
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by harrythehamster Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Yes
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:12 pm

If they're coming off anyway then take them off, they'll fail it either way if it's a problem, but they're to stop grit and stones getting onto your pads, I don't know how well they work but they must put them on for a reason.
ElwoodLivesey
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:13 pm

If it doesn't draw their attention then it's a good thing.
ElwoodLivesey
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:34 pm

If things are as rusty as you say then the brakes will fail on that alone. Basic rule is mechanical items must be in reasonable and serviceable order to adequately do the job it is intended to do (without endangering the public).

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by harrythehamster Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:39 am

They aren't a mechanical item - they don't move.

ElwoodLivesey wrote:If they're coming off anyway then take them off, they'll fail it either way if it's a problem, but they're to stop grit and stones getting onto your pads, I don't know how well they work but they must put them on for a reason.

Thanks for the input of common sense - I'm going with that. If they're required the ones on are useless, one is split - I reckon it has had something caught in it.

There's a good disc - ussion here:
http://forums.autosport.com/topic/156979-disc-brake-shields
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by harrythehamster Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:42 am

Mind, I see a lot of sites saying they're for stopping the brake pad dust getting all over your wheels and spoiling them...I've no use for that either.
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Dust shield and exhaust shields - MOT Empty MOT pass!

Post by harrythehamster Mon May 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Peeled off the dust shields and gently hammered flat any sharp edges. Fitted new pads and discs.
MOT pass.
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by harrythehamster Mon May 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Very Happy
harrythehamster
harrythehamster
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Mon May 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Nice one

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down