Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

brake pulsation brake shoe min.thickness

4 posters

Go down

brake pulsation brake shoe min.thickness Empty brake pulsation brake shoe min.thickness

Post by simpo1961 Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:13 pm

I get a pulsation thru the pedal when applying the brakes. It is worse when pressed hard. I have checked the the pads and shoes they seem ok. what is the minimum thickness for the rear shoes?
I did notice that one of the rear cylinders is weeping slightly could this be the issue?
I did think of starting it with the rear wheels in the air then I can confirm which end the issue is coming from?

simpo1961

Back to top Go down

brake pulsation brake shoe min.thickness Empty Re: brake pulsation brake shoe min.thickness

Post by skybo Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:19 pm

are you sure its coming from back. it sounds like brake discs on front a warped?

skybo
Clubman

Back to top Go down

brake pulsation brake shoe min.thickness Empty Re: brake pulsation brake shoe min.thickness

Post by simpo1961 Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:37 pm

not sure yet discs look ok to the eye and do not make any unusual sounds when spun by hand........ #I was trying to think of a way of spinning them faster so I can try the same as on the back lol

simpo1961

Back to top Go down

Post by skybo Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:40 pm

my van was very stable sat on breeze blocks. how long you had van for?

skybo
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:03 pm

for sure the rear cylinder wants changing sooner rather than later, did you pull the pads out to inspect? have you checked the wheel bearings? had the similar scenario last weekend, turned out to be a wheel bearing with very very little play and a seized front pad that I had to hamer out

brake pulsation brake shoe min.thickness Img_2018
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by simpo1961 Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Right, jacked up the rear of the van, first left side then right side started it, ran it up to an idicated 40 mph and and then tried the brakes no vibration felt. This would tend to indicate the front brakes. Damn! time to have a closer look. The pads looked evenly worn. Can you hear/see a warped disk when spinning it by hand? or would you have to spin it up with a power tool?

simpo1961

Back to top Go down

Post by simpo1961 Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Also I'm in germany and new wheels cylinders are really pricey (what a suprise)
any good sources in the uk?

simpo1961

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:07 pm

The best way to check for a warped disc is to use a DTI Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by simpo1961 Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Haven#t got a dti :-(

simpo1961

Back to top Go down

Post by simpo1961 Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Also are hijets known for disc problems? this one is not often driven heavily loaded and cologne is flat flat flat. I have been told it has been doing this for some time as well as pulling to the left. I replaced the lower suspension arm (bent) this cured the pulling to the left issue and improved the brake thing (maybe it just felt better though)

simpo1961

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:22 pm

let us know what your vehicle details is inc year and will get you a price
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:58 pm

if you havent got a dti you can put a straight edge across each side of the disc to give you a good idea if its warped Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by simpo1961 Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:44 pm

this is on a multicoloured, fish painted 1995 1.0 hijet van.

simpo1961

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32 pm

hmmm... we might need to see this one Laughing
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down