Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talking of brakes... how could a smoking exhaust be a brake system problem?!

3 posters

Go down

Talking of brakes... how could a smoking exhaust be a brake system problem?! Empty Talking of brakes... how could a smoking exhaust be a brake system problem?!

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:55 am

Remember that blue hijet SE I bought back in october/november whenever it was?

Been doing some bits of work to it, namely make the brakes work as the pedal went to the floor and the res was empty.

So with help of a pedal presser for the day, filled it up with brake fluid and got bleeding.

Until brake fluid starting dripping off the brake pedal. Sold a few master cylinder for this issue.

Anyway, took the old one off it, and then though about it for a few minutes.

Got a syringe and pulled out about a third of a litre of brake fluid out of the brake servo.

Got that all sorted, and back together, bled well, sorted the LSPV, started it up....

Loads of smoke out of the exhaust.... I mean loads n loads.

Cleans up after a few minutes - but it always was smokey when I started it when moving it around.

Took the brake servo vacuum pipe off - loads of brake fluid in it. Turns out its burning its own brake fluid.

Cleaned everything out, let the engine get warm, had some tea etc, forgot about it all.

Now went to start it up again from cold - NO MORE COLD START SMOKING HIJET!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Talking of brakes... how could a smoking exhaust be a brake system problem?! Empty Re: Talking of brakes... how could a smoking exhaust be a brake system problem?!

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:44 pm

the servo must have been well buggered then if you feel the need you could cut it in half and show us all the innards.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Talking of brakes... how could a smoking exhaust be a brake system problem?! Empty Re: Talking of brakes... how could a smoking exhaust be a brake system problem?!

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:09 pm

I didn't change the servo, thought about it though. Still works fine, and from looking inside it with the bore scope it had not corroded at all. I expected a big rusty mess.

I did pretty good job of flushing it out with some Isopropyl and compressed air - then sprayed plenty of lube in there to help stop it rusting in the future. I cleaned out the rubber boot on the other end too and greased the shaft up. Doesn't seem to be losing any air.

I will remember this in future though, as the start up smoke was like no other smoke I've had before, it had an unusual smell to it, and it was thick and creamy.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:51 pm

If the servo wasn't holed how did the brake fluid get to the engine side you said the master cylinder was leaking but thats atmosphere side?
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Talking of brakes... how could a smoking exhaust be a brake system problem?! Empty Leaking brake fluid

Post by doug100 Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:04 pm

Just bought my first hijet, fun to drive and engine seems fine but when I was nearly home brake fluid started dripping onto brake pedal. Im not that mechanical so any thoughts on cause as what you describe sound worrying?
Thanks for any feedback

doug100
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:54 pm

Check the pipe work just encase something has not been tighten up properly first.

But yes, most likely you have a leaking master cylinder!!

Its quite common, especially on vehicle that have had extended periods of no use.

Quite easy to change, but difficult to purchase - so you will have to acquire a second hand one.

Speak to Woody on 07863 030 309

But check the pipe work just encase something has not been tighten up properly first.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down