Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first of (probably) many questions!!

+2
elfin girl
Dolly-the-Daihatsu
6 posters

Go down

My first of (probably) many questions!! Empty My first of (probably) many questions!!

Post by Dolly-the-Daihatsu Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi my first one is:
How much weight can the mpv model safely carry? I got Dolly mainly as I have to take water in 25l barrels to my horses about three quarters of a mile up the road. I have put a maximum of 8 so far but I'm worried its too much. They fit just behind the centre seats so the weight is mostly over the rear axle is this the best place?

Question 2:

Is it possible to buy a diy kit so a buzzer sounds if you leave your lights on? Guess what I done the first time I took Dolly to work on an early shift!?!?

Thanks. :-)

Dolly-the-Daihatsu

Back to top Go down

My first of (probably) many questions!! Empty Re: My first of (probably) many questions!!

Post by elfin girl Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 pm

oh, ive done the lights one on a few occasions, mainly because mine has a beeper when put in reverse which doesnt sound if the lights are on, sometimes i dont want the world to know that the smallest van ever is reverse parking! then i forget about the lights
no idea on the weight thing, sure someone will know, i tend to presume if it still drives forward and up hills without the arches hitting the wheels its fine!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

My first of (probably) many questions!! Empty Re: My first of (probably) many questions!!

Post by d1noh Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:53 pm

some vans are 635 capaciy
you have a mpv so may be different
Im not sure how much you weigh or whats in your handbag
so we will say 500kg capacity
If you take 1 ltr as 1kg, 25lts = 25kg
4 drums = 100kg
20 drums should be max
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Panic ye not Dolly. A gallon of water weighs 8.35 pounds. There are 4.55 litres to a gallon so the total weight of water you are carrying is around is 370 pounds which is about a third of your load capacity of 1100lbs or 510 kilos.Very Happy Very Happy 

To your second question -- yes a warning buzzer system is readily available--- the one I have on one of my Hi-Jets is made by Sparkrite but Halfords or a good car accessory shop should be able to supply one for you. 

Hope thats put your mind at rest and also welcome to The Forum. Woody.

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:05 pm

There is a kit on ebay for warning your lights are left on but it can be made up uing a five pin relay and a 12volt buzzer both available from maplins or similar and easy enough to make up. I also have a habit of leaving the lights on but now have super bright dash lights so now need to make a dimmer up for when using at night as so bright they reflect off the steering column and right into my line of sight.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolly-the-Daihatsu Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Phew.... that's a relief!! Thank you everyone!! With that load capacity I could put one of my horses in there!!! Lol just gotta perfect 'sit'!!!

Dolly-the-Daihatsu

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

all my trucks beep if I open the door with the lights on, thought that was standard?
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Dolly-the-Daihatsu wrote: Lol just gotta perfect 'sit'!!!
i had to double read that Shocked 
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 pm

I had a ton bag of whin dust in mine once. Wouldn't really recommend it though.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:42 pm

What year are yours dinoh ? I have a feeling the magic year was 2001. My 03 MPV has, my 02 Pickup hasnt and my 02Tipper and O3 tipper have. Not sure about the 01 van or 02 MPV. 

Just out of curiosity I will HAVE to look now.

Dolly, you dont say which model you have -- 3 cylinder or 4 cylinder or year ? "S " reg had both.

Put one of your horses in there ???? I trust that they are Shetland Ponies then . Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:44 pm

May I ask just what whin dust is please Logi ? Never heard that expression before.

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 pm

erm..... think the oldest is a 2000 X plate
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:51 pm

woody wrote:May I ask just what whin dust is please Logi ? Never heard that expression before.

http://www.ayrshireaggregates.co.uk/products-more-info.asp?ProdID=29

Question 
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:03 pm

Well that's something else I have learnt . Thank you for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 pm

It'll be a local thing i'm guessing depending on what stone is quarried, and the name of the quarry.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:41 pm

d1noh wrote:all my trucks beep if I open the door with the lights on, thought that was standard?
Nope, but I found the little box that makes it happen in one I broke.

Going to check to see if the pre 2001 vans have the wiring in place for it.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolly-the-Daihatsu Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:05 am

woody wrote:Dolly, you dont say which model you have -- 3 cylinder or 4 cylinder or year ? "S " reg had both.

Put one of your horses in there ???? I trust that they are Shetland Ponies then . Very Happy
Woody, I don't know how many cylinders shes a 2000 x reg 1.3l if that's any help?!?

As for the shetlands lol. They are gypsy cobs and the heaviest is only(!) 450kg but perhaps I need to convert to a high top and change 'sit' to 'lay down' cos they are a bit taller!!!

Dolly-the-Daihatsu

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolly-the-Daihatsu Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:16 am

woody wrote:To your second question -- yes a warning buzzer system is readily available--- the one I have on one of my Hi-Jets is made by Sparkrite but Halfords or a good car accessory shop should be able to supply one
I've just googled sparkrite and have come up with a few listings for car alarms, but I dont know what I'm looking for!! (Told u I'm a newbie) what are the kits called?

Dolly-the-Daihatsu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:51 am

I have just been out in my garage hunting for a spare one I have but to no avail.
I think it was was just called " Lights. On ", but it was made yonks ago by
Sparkrite.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolly-the-Daihatsu Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:01 am

Just to let you know I've just bought a buzzer kit thing(!) from ebay for £3 something, just gotta see if I can fit it now!! Thanks for all your help :-) :-)

Dolly-the-Daihatsu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down