Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

more wheel questions

5 posters

Go down

more wheel questions  Empty more wheel questions

Post by mike-414 Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:33 pm

hi everyone

im new to the forum.. i have a 1999 hijet and from what i can gather from various threads on various forums and sites is that on a 1998 onwards van the pcd is 100.. and that mini alloys will fit.. anybody know if this is right before i go spending out on wheels?

thanks
mike

mike-414

Back to top Go down

more wheel questions  Empty Re: more wheel questions

Post by Logi Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:12 pm

AFAIK all Hijets are 110mm pcd, mine certainly is and it's a 2001. My alloys are original Daihatsu(rare as rocking horse poo) but others here have put different wheels on, no doubt more help will arrive, welcome Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:05 pm

In an ideal world you really want to fit 110pcd wheels. But as you start to look for them you'll soon realise they're virtually impossible to get hold of. Unless you've got a Japanese or Australian friend who could slip a set into their suitcase.

Some 4x108's from Pugs/citroens etc will fit. You'll have to grind a bit of the centre out so they fit over the front hub centres. If they're aftermarket they may not need this. You'll have to make sure they're 60 deg taper wheel holes which are big enough so you can get wobbly nuts to work properly. The rear Hubs don't have centre location so wobbly nuts ain't exactly ideal.

The other option is to find a set of wheels that would allow you to get new holes drilled in.

If you search long enough a 4 x 110 set might also crop up (its taken me a year to find some) A lot of quads also have 4 x 110pcd. 12" ones crop up on ebay occasionally but the offset is usually wrong.

You can also get adapters for about £100 from America, I think they'll make the wheels stick out too far though as the hubs are virtually level with the bodywork as it is.

I noticed a set of what were mini wheels were finishing on ebay today. I'm not sure how they've been adapted to fit. Slotted wheel holes maybe. Personally I don't think thats a great way to go when you haven't got centre location on the back.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Ash - Not sure if this is what you mean but Weller wheels which are often seen on minis were available in 4x110 pcd. Many japanese rwd 1970's machines had this fitment thus many motorsport wheels were available back in the day.

RE: Mike - Before you buy anyone's opinion I would go measure your vans PCD, a ruler works just fine, then you know where you stand! I bet you a fiver its 4x110 pcd though Sad

Ash has said it all really Smile

Options are, best first, Corrrect fitment wheels, or re drilled wheels, followed by wobbly nuts, then hub adapters lastly.

Overly widening the track by spacers/adapters/incorrect offset is dangerous, It will damage front wheel bearings and ball joints, you will get odd quirks in the altered suspension geometry and you will get uneven tyre wear on the front tyres. Even more worrying, like on minis, it can cause the wheel nuts/bolts to sheer causing the wheel to fall off. I was in a mini about 8 years ago when one of the front wheels fell off for this exact reason. Cool wheels maybe but an uncool accident!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:09 pm

These seem to still be available, https://hijet.forumotion.com/t458-alloys-on-ebay could be worth an offer for the set?
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:24 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Re: Ash - Not sure if this is what you mean but Weller wheels which are often seen on minis were available in 4x110 pcd. Many japanese rwd 1970's machines had this fitment thus many motorsport wheels were available back in the day.

Mini ones on ebay are minilites, he said the holes where adapted to fit but I can't see how you can successfully go from 101.6 (is that right) to 110.

8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:48 pm

8bit-ash wrote:
HighlyJetted wrote:Re: Ash - Not sure if this is what you mean but Weller wheels which are often seen on minis were available in 4x110 pcd. Many japanese rwd 1970's machines had this fitment thus many motorsport wheels were available back in the day.

Mini ones on ebay are minilites, he said the holes where adapted to fit but I can't see how you can successfully go from 101.6 (is that right) to 110.

I can't see how either, Mini's are 4" pcd(which equates to the odd 101.6mm) a throwback to Leyland never updating owt(as an aside it does mean you can fit MGF/TF alloys on your Herald/Vitesse/Minor cos they kept the 3.75 pcd Smile ) I'm really not keen on wobble nuts either, had some on the wife's Seicento Sporting to fit 4x100 wheels, never really felt happy with them. I'd love to know what moron at Daihatsu decided on 110 Mad
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:42 pm

They went for OK money, if someone here bought them some pictures of the alterations would be handy.

You can buy minilites in 4x110 and whatever you like really

From the minilite site "Almost all our wheels are cast as blanks and we are able to machine a variety of PCD’s (bolt patterns) and offsets."

Maybe they were 4x108 or 4x112 altered to 4x110? Or some other odd size off some old classic.

I think the idiot chose 4x110 so people didn't go swapping the wheels round willy nilly due to the odd offset hub design. Putting wheels on that stick out thus changing the centre load point has so so many adverse effects.

Last edited by HighlyJetted on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add "which idiot")
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:20 pm

I am interested in the idea of replacement wheels and note all of the talk about PCD but what is the correct offset for a Hijet wheel?

Originally, I thought all this was covered in the wheel code such as 5J, for example, but obviously not.

Does anyone know if there is any difference in these 'letter' specifications? For example, the standard Hijet seems to be 4Bx12 but the SE variant is 5Jx13. They both fit as the spare on mine is the 12 inch and it does fit -- I have had to use it as had a previous owner.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Here's an interesting link for aftermarket wheels Smile

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/alloyskn.html

And an interesting piccy on the same site

more wheel questions  Minacr16
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Nice link, if someone has a hijet wheel floating about they could give us the measurements required to calculate the offset.

If you place something across the rim edge on the wrong side of the wheel, then measure to the hub face. Call this F

Then measure from edge to edge (the width of the rim) and call this J

Divide J by 2, (so half it for the calculator haters)

Then take that half of W away from F.

This is the offset, it can be either a positive or negative number. The hijet will definitely have a positive offset.

more wheel questions  Offset03
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Or if you mouse over the Hijet thumb it says the offset is ET20 Very Happy
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:50 pm

That depends on the wheels, the standards ones ET I'm pretty sure is way more than 20mm, more like 60mm.

The wider (J) the rim you chuck on, the more you'll want to offset it or it'll end up colliding with the strut/spring/inner arch etc.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:58 pm

This guy seems to have an unusual offset........... Wink

Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Nahhhhh totally standard that!! Its amazing what people get up to in hijets, they have to be the most versatile vehicle in the world!

Seen this one sporting a honda sohc D series? Must be pumping about 125bhp throught the 4wd + 4 wheel steering, looks like it goes like stink

HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down