Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission

3 posters

Go down

tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission Empty tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission

Post by stevelav Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 pm

I have noticed a small drip right on the bottom where the engine meets the transmission its pretty tiny (about one drop forms every 2 days) and there is no sign of it coming from higher up the engine, the rest of engine looks dry. There is just a oil damp area of about 7cm radiating out from the lowest point on the line where the engine and transmission meet and a drop forms every couple of days.

I can't really tell what colour the oil is as when I wipe it i just get a dirty black smear though it does not look red.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Stephen

stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission Empty Re: tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:25 pm

It sounds like the bell housing to engine joint which doesn't have oil in it but is normally open to drain somewhere, so it could be engine or transmission oil whichever is not good if it is the crank seal then it could contaminate the clutch if you are really unlucky it depends on the shape of the flywheel, with out checking the manuel most seals for the crank or the trans can be changed without a full strip down but either one means the gearbox has to come out.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission Empty Re: tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Ahh slight error its actually water, i just assumed it was oil.

Not sure if I'm relieved or not after all I suppose its not necessarily coming from the head gasket is it?

[img]tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission Img_2010[/img]
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 pm

not the head gasket unless it is weeping down the back of the motor and really unlikely to be coolant unless the block has cracked but again really unlikely most likely it is rain water/condensation collecting and mixing with a bit of dirt, I think a lot of the ARC car wash places do an under car body wash but it looks fairly clean in the pic.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:42 pm

An "under body car wash" sounds like a good idea as i want to waxoil underneath soon.

Is it a costly thing to have done?
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:15 pm

When I drove it 200 miles home after i bought it the water drip was forming no faster then than now when its just sitting around. So i guess that means its not coming from anywhere important that would leak more when the engines running and things are under pressure.

I do wonder where its coming from though as it seems constant since i bought it last week.
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Is it a 1.3 engine?

If so, on the back of the cylinder head there is:-

Water temp sensor
A metal plate held on by 2 bolts
10mm water bung

Any one of these could be leaking.

Under the inlet manifold there are a few thin pipes, plus at the end of the inlet manifold there is a water way. Another couple of possibilities. I'd be tempted to remove the rear engine cover under the back carpet and have a closer look.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13 pm

yes it is 1.3

i'll have to work out what the cylinder head and inlet manifold are and have a look

doing mot tomorrow so I'll see if the man can see anything
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:33 pm

Fingers crossed to the gods of rot and mots cheers
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Well i think the gods of rot have smiled on me but the gods of MOTs perhaps been indifferent.

Looks like the water has come from this tank which I am guessing is some sort of expansion tank for the coolant and seems a bit overly full.

Should I try and empty it out a bit I wonder?

[img]tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission Leak_f10[/img]

[img]tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission Seems_10[/img]
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:55 pm

That is the coolant overflow tank.

Show us the colour of the water inside. Maybe empty some out onto some paper too.

That bottle getting overfilled is a symptom of coolant issues.

Have you got air under the metal filler cap?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:57 pm

The water is dirty brown, and which is the filler cap is it the one on the radiator?
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm

I wasn't sure which cap to open as i don't which one is the filler.

But the water looks pretty brown in the bottle but only a hint of brown on the paper. To my inexpert eye it looks pretty clean.

[img]tiny oil leak where engine meets transmission On_pap10[/img]
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down