Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie needs help

+2
Logi
EvaInNorfolk
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Newbie needs help Empty Newbie needs help

Post by EvaInNorfolk Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Hello. I bought a Hijet 1.3 EFI van last weekend and had to have the MOT done before 4 January so had it done yesterday. It passed but I have some advisories. I would normally consult a Haynes manual at this point...so I'm a bit lost. I don't mind getting my hands dirty at all, but like to have half an idea of what I'm doing. The advisories are:

1. Brake load sensing valve linkage stiff.
2. Offside front upper Macpherson strut has slight movement in the upper supporting bearing assembly.
3. Service brake has only just met the required efficiency. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair.
4. Parking brake system requires adjustment or repair.
5. General light corrosion to underside of vehicle.

I've gone round with some WD40 today to make a start on some of this. I want to make a proper start with brakes.

I sooooo love my van and want to keep it happy and healthy. If anyone can help me get started I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Newbie needs help Empty Re: Newbie needs help

Post by Logi Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Hello, welcome to Hijet ownership, Very Happy

1. Brake load sensing valve linkage stiff.
Take it off, free it up

2. Offside front upper Macpherson strut has slight movement in the upper supporting bearing assembly.
Worry about it later Wink

3. Service brake has only just met the required efficiency. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair.
4. Parking brake system requires adjustment or repair.

Prob new pads & shoes needed?

5. General light corrosion to underside of vehicle.
Light? PAH! If only mine had light corrosion....... Razz

Don't forget to post a piccy up of your van cheers
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks, Logi.

Will checks pads and shoes to see if they need adding to the shopping list. Already need wire brushes and POR15 to get some rust under control before welder and welding lessons need to go on the list! The list of things to worry about later is also growing. The first item on the list is "worry about this list later" Smile

The van is pretty exciting to drive in ice. The gear ratios will take me a while to get used to and I think I'll have to keep a bag of sand in the back until April.

Pic of van is my avatar. Nice blank canvas for me to personalise Very Happy

EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:10 pm

I wouldn't take the brake valve off unless you have too, brakes can be a bit of a pain on these. The actual moving part of the valve is only supposed to move a few mm so if it passes as it is i'd leave it other than a bit of wd40.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Still haven't dealt with the brakes but I have dealt with my first bit of rust! cheers Now, I say I've dealt with it but I should perhaps come clean and say I've explored an area of my van that's got bigger problems than I first realised. The story, if you have time, is this... The passenger side door had some rust in the seal around the window, so I took the seal off and cleaned it all up (i.e. got loads of rust flakes out of the seal so it would fit properly) then I took a little wire brush to the skinny bit of metal that the seal goes on. Most of it was not too bad (the bit at the top of the door) but then I worked my way down to where the wing mirror attaches. Oh, boy. I'm not really sure what's holding that mirror on! Anyway, I've tidied it up and put some hammerite on it and most of it should at least not get any worse for a while but I think it will ultimately need some welding or a new door or part of a new door (back to welding...). Has anyone else had an experience like this? What should the long-term solution be?
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Does anyone know if the shell is different on the 1.3 to the 1l I may be able to get a white door for you.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:39 am

My old one failed on the brake bias valve, my solution was to move the valve to the open position, then I sort of mig welded the inner (hard steel) to the outer (alloy) so it stayed in the open position and put it all back together so it looked original. I found the braking much better afterward, and the pedal lost that weird soggy feeling under heavy braking.

I think the bias valve goes stiff because hijets rarely have enough weight in the back of them to make it operate.

Logi's list is bang on the money, "general light corrosion" - thats a selling point!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:22 pm

If the answer is a new door I guess I have to go with that. Will that mean I end up with 2 different door locks and need 2 different keys? I'm complicated enough as it is (chick!! Rolling Eyes ) but this could be an interesting addition Laughing
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:47 pm

EvaInNorfolk wrote:If the answer is a new door I guess I have to go with that. Will that mean I end up with 2 different door locks and need 2 different keys? I'm complicated enough as it is (chick!! Rolling Eyes ) but this could be an interesting addition Laughing

Just transfer the lock from your old door.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Or live with the rust, it's a Hijet.... Razz
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:00 pm

I can live with a bit of rust, but this bit in the door is going to give me mirror-leprosy (or whatever disease makes bits fall off). I'll get into trouble for that! Guess I'm in the market for a new door. I'm sure most people can "just" move the locks over but I'm not most people. This could be a real episode of pain. Still, they reckon no pain no gain so it looks like this project can only improve me! lol!
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:21 pm

It is quite easy to take a lock of. Take the door trim of, the lock is normally held on with a slip clip. Slide the clip of, you may have to tap it with a hammer, undo the connecting rods and that is it. Just reverse the procedure for refitting.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks, Waz. I'll be particularly careful when I'm tapping things with a hammer! Very Happy Got to get a door... scratch
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:15 pm

rich the mechanic wrote:Does anyone know if the shell is different on the 1.3 to the 1l I may be able to get a white door for you.

I'll find out if the place that does my MOTs wants to sell a door off a donor that they used to fix a piaggio.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. The door on the ebay site has the same colour stripes and is the same reg as mine! Rich - is the Piaggio door something similar and about the same money? I'm totally rubbish with ebay Rolling Eyes
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Is yours a purple stripe? can't tell from your pic and the one I maybe able to get is a Daihatsu.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi. Yeah, it's a purple-y / burgundy colour. Not a hugely important detail for me. I had another look at the door on ebay and the photo is of a driver's side door so am pretty nervous about going anywhere near that! As long as the bit around the window seal is an improvement on what I've got and the mirror is going to stay on I'll be a happy bint.
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:48 pm

EvaInNorfolk wrote: I had another look at the door on ebay and the photo is of a driver's side door so am pretty nervous about going anywhere near that! .

Good thinking, keep women away from the drivers door... Twisted Evil

Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:04 pm

LOL! Laughing You're a naughty boy, Logi. I don't have much of a choice given my personal circumstances. Would you like me to put a tracking device on my van so you know where I am and can avoid my area? Scotland to Norfolk is probably on the boundary of your comfort zone tongue
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Evil or Very Mad Tracking women gets you into bother Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:46 am

I'm Going to get some bits off a White 2003 van at the weekend/early next week. Its got maroon/burgundy strips. Do you want me to see how much he wants for the door? I'm in Norwich so you could collect it if I brought it back with me.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Guess I'm too late now Embarassed Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on this next time!!!!!! If it's any consolation I'm covered in plaster dust and paint blobs from house renovations which is what I've been doing rather than watching this site. Body hurts like heck from working above my head (which is nearly everything...) which I probably deserve.

Hope the travelling in this weather hasn't been too awful. Smile
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:08 pm

EvaInNorfolk wrote:Guess I'm too late now Embarassed Body hurts like heck from working above my head (which is nearly everything...) Smile

Are you really short? Razz
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 pm

I haven't been yet as it happens, if your still interested let me know, i'm going sometime this week if the weathers good.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:15 pm

8 bit why don't you exchange phone numbers with eva, you can then phone with condition and price.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:25 am

EvaInNorfolk wrote:I'm covered in plaster dust and paint blobs from house renovations - Body hurts like heck from working above my head (which is nearly everything...) which I probably deserve.

Seems like doing up a house is a pretty common cause of hijet ownership! I saw mine as a bit like a van, but also a lot like a skip!

Anyway, I feel your pain, just about to plaster the joint in my ceiling! Just done all the prep and now my arms feel like lead. Hands above head time Smile
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Yup. Poor van has been used as a skip, Jewson delivery vehicle and garden waste bin. Before long I want to start insulating the interior ready for the camping season. I'm thinking of gluing rock wool to the sides then covering over with strong upholstery fabric. Does that sound realistic? How should the fabric be attached? More glue?!?! The roof seems to be done so I shouldn't have to work overhead!!!!! That should give you an idea to my height tongue
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:31 pm

Would you need a toolbox to stand on to do the ceiling?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by EvaInNorfolk Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Toolbox would have to be the right size. Something like these... http://www.toolbox.co.uk/roller-tool-chests-10-13486-0000 Might need someone to steady the wheels Smile
EvaInNorfolk
EvaInNorfolk
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next