Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

beds, sleeping and conversion

5 posters

Go down

beds, sleeping and conversion Empty beds, sleeping and conversion

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Greetings yall,
I just moved to Wales and the hijet looks workable as a way to get around for surfing, windsurfing, kiting, kayaking and all that shite. Wondering if you guys could weigh in on whether a guy could put a bed platform in one of these things and crash out comfortably at night at the beach.

Could you put a platform in that is just over the front seats' height, with a little piano hing flap that folds down over the top of the seats to the windshield when it's time to crash out for the night, thereby retaining massive gear storage capacity under the bed, and providing a place for a 6 foot guy to crash out on top of it all?

Any of you sleeping in these things on trips? What is the word?

How would it drive with a rack, two windsurfing boards, three surfboards, a couple sails and a kayak on the top?

Cheers,

Rob

Back to top Go down

beds, sleeping and conversion Empty Re: beds, sleeping and conversion

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Hey up Rob, How goes it?

Hijet is pretty good to sleep in, not a bad night at all. If you made a raised floor it would give you a bit more length and keep you warmer at night.

As for strapping 3 surfboards to the roof, it would be allright, but then with two complete windsurfers as well I think it will be a bit unstable! A little custom trailor would solve your logistics issues though.

Thought about a vw transporter or something that size?

Matt
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:46 pm

i am 5ft and sleep in the back of mine with no problems
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:36 pm

Is yours all girlie with scatter cushions and a nice a nice purple throw?

5ft..... You could sleep in a wheelie bin
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:10 pm

lol.. err no. lol, only the bike gets special treatment and that isnt girlie either.
the van is bog standard with "Beck Row Bikers" decal on the rear window.
and aye, one of the reasons why i have the Hijet. i know i can sleep in the back stretched out. i can get a double air mattress in, but i want to get a single one for bike rallys.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

beds, sleeping and conversion Empty Streeaaatchin ooot.

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks for the help.

One last little clarification: you guys figure a platform would allow a 6 foot guy to streatch out completely? My girlfrind will be in there too...so diagonal sleeping will not be quite as feasible.
These things are really cool, but either a guy can streatch out or not. Ya know?

Cheers,

Rob

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:17 am

I'm 5'11, sleeping in the back I have my feet on the tail gate and my head hits the engine compartment. If you built in a raised floor/under storage you should gain yourself a load more lenght as you could slide the seats forward.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by bones 851 Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:44 pm

hi, septic, i and my son both sleep in the wee jet almost 8 months of the year,( mostly weekends, not all the time, we're not gipos) we use the van to go mountain biking, i fitted 1"1/2 plywood to the floor. I have insulated all the side doors and back door with laminate flooring underlay, it keeps the van realy cosy, you can also buy a small heater which plugs into lighter socket, (about a £10,) last year we bought one of those caravan extentions for electric we use this at proper sites and only get charged for a small tent hookup!!!!!
inside you can fit 2 framed campbeds or a double air bed (oh yes you can!!!). i have finished it off with groovy 70's curtains made to fit by the mother inlaw, oh and both myself and my son are over 6 ,1" and i have never suffered from major back ache nor have we felt really cold in a over nighter. last October i managed to pick up a old cravan awning again from the 70's bright orange and green finished of in brown(groovy!!!), i have spent a few of the winter months adapting the poles to fit on to the side of the jet and i cant wait till april to give it a try out, should be big enough to sleep another 2 people and give us room to sit at night and have a beer......on a good weekend we go away with 2 bikes and 2 inflatable kyacks all our kit and a portable dvd player to watch a movie , most of the people we meet are amazed at the amount of gear we carry, it often gets the nick name of the magic bus,,, and to think i only bought this wee van due to the fact a vw camper i had gone to see had been a duff one,, would not change it for the world......... bones 851
bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 am

Have a look at this item on Ebay 380172573675, it may come up as unviewable now, but it was/is a free standing awning designed to be left on a site while you use your 'bus', cost was £79.99 + £6-95 P&P. The seller is an Ebay registered business 'Campers Haven'. The listing back in November said they had 9 more available at the same price. The awning is 2 meters square and appox 205cm high, making it a useful space, either for kipping in or storing stuff. If it hadn't been so close to Christmas then I would've probably splashed out on one there and then, but buying the bus and getting it on the road has gutted my account for now Sad

I'm nothing to do with the seller or the business and haven't seen the actual quality of the awning but at that price you are probably getting something 'light weight' Shocked - Just what you need for one of these babies!!! I'm approx 5-10, depending on what time of day it is, and can just kip comforably in the back of the van on an airbed, if I use the bulkhead cover as a pillow Very Happy Sharing with the wife is cosy................
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tukz Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:48 pm

My folks bought one of these stand alone awnings and they think it is fantastic!. They use it on their Fiat Camper but it is totally adjustable so could be used for a Jet.
Tukz
Tukz
Centurion

http://www.tuktuktravel.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks for the vote of Confidence Tukz, I was wondering myself, generally I don't recommend stuff I haven't tried personally, but that seemed to good a bargain to miss up (which always makes me suspicious Very Happy )
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down