Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing ignition

4 posters

Go down

Removing ignition  Empty Removing ignition

Post by elfin girl Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:55 pm

Could anyone give me any pointers on how I might remove the ignition from my 1.3 (the bit the key goes in!)
I've removed all the door locks and petrol cap and thought I'd try and make the whole set!
Removing ignition  Image16
Removing ignition  Image18
Removing ignition  Image17
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Removing ignition  Empty Re: Removing ignition

Post by PFM Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:27 pm

They're shear bolts - when fitted they're tightened until the heads break off. AFAIK the only way to remove them is to drill a small hole into them, then insert reverse-threaded screw-extractors. Not an easy task.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:58 am

Actually there is a far easier way. Using a 2mm Drill, make a small hole a couple of mm deep in the edge of the bottom edge of the head of the cone in the Aluminium Yoke in both of the bolts.

Insert a GOOD pointed Centre Punch into the hole at an angle and tap it ANTI-CLOCKWISE with a hammer and after half to one turn you can wind it out with the Centre Punch in the 2mm hole as a purchase to turn it.

I personally, once it  has loosened by the half to one turn use a 1/4 drive 8mm socket on a small Battery Drill /Impact Driver on the head of  the Cone - it fits snugly over the edge of the Cone into the hole in the Aluminium Sadle and pushing firmly on the Battery Drill with it in reverse (Anti Clockwise) 2 seconds literally and the Cone headed bolt is out. It obviously doesn't fit like a socket on a nut but friction on the outside edge of the Shere Bolt and the Socket Edge grips it fine to whizz the bolt out.

As Logi used to say - "Easy-Peasy.
I have used this method for some 25 years. Never failed yet. If someone has refitted the same Sheer Bolt back in again and it is tight in the thread, then you can tap the come head round and round with the Centre Punch  and unscrew it out.
If I am going to refit it again then a little grease or oil on the thread and whizz it back up tight again with the Battery Drill /Impact Driver and the 1/4 drive 8mm Socket in 2 seconds flat.
It's so simple to do. I can't think why someone hasn't thought of it before. I was using this method 25 years ago on all of my Ford's and Skodas.

If you don't want to re-use the shear - bolts then use two 8mm thread (12/13mm headed bolts and a washer underneath the head of the bolt to lock it back in place. Depends if you are worried about the van being broken  into and knicked. Then obviously buy two new Shear Headed Bolts.   DEAD EASY JOB TO DO.
TRUST UNCLE WOODY. —-- FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS ANY WAY!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 am

Removing ignition  Dsc_6123
Removing ignition  Dsc_6124
Removing ignition  Dsc_6125

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:41 am

Removing ignition  Dsc_6126

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:56 am

You will be missed for these nuggets of info!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 am

Nah, I won't be missed. My ideas might be and SOME of my sarky comments - but not me. I Certainly won't miss Lex for sure though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:46 pm

Thanks for the Thanks Donna. No problem me spending my valuable time and preparing photos and detailed help. Glad I won't be wasting my time anymore.

I will be VERY selective who I help out when I return after my Holidays and recuperation.

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:21 pm

Woodie wrote:Nah, I won't be missed. My ideas might be and SOME of my sarky comments - but not me. I Certainly won't miss Lex for sure though.

While I initially thought you'd uploaded the entire contents of your brain into the forum, you keep putting new stuff out for us. Perhaps we should set up a Community Fund to get you hooked up to Mr Musk's Neuralink and mine the rest of these gems out of you.

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down