Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a hand with removing a split pin...

+2
Raggy
Lex_Michdebus
6 posters

Go down

I need a hand with removing a split pin... Empty I need a hand with removing a split pin...

Post by Lex_Michdebus Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 pm

I have this badly rusted split pin I can't seem to get out of the tie rod end thingie. I'm now at a point where I don't have any more split pin to grab to get it out... Is there a miracle worker in the house that can tell me how the flying f- these should be removed without that damn hassle every time? I'm going to grab the drill bits again (and they always break once or twice...), but next time I want to be able to remove the darn thing without having a stroke.

Who's with me?
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

I need a hand with removing a split pin... Empty Re: I need a hand with removing a split pin...

Post by Raggy Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Anti seizure Grease? copper slip?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

I need a hand with removing a split pin... Empty Re: I need a hand with removing a split pin...

Post by Lex_Michdebus Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Well... the new pins will get a nice coating of copper grease, but first I need to get the old ones out...
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Drill
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Plus gas and/or heat.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:32 am

Now I really hate split pins...
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:51 am

Well I if you hate them that much, get your own back and take an angle grinder to the nut and cut it off and buy a new Track rod end that has a Nylock nut on it and you won't have to use a split pin. lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by 602 Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 am

Hi,

Many a time I have jus grunted loudly, turned the nut which sheared of the head and tails of the split pin, and just carried on unscrewing the nut. This sometimes ruins both the nut and the male thread, not a problem if you are going to replace both anyway.

Unless safety, and the MOT tester, decree otherwise, don't use split pins. Instead, search EBAY for "R-clips".

Of course, if you peen the end of the thread over, you won't need either. I'll get my coat.

Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by verryoldman Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Bow tie locking pins one type
locking pins another
google Images for aircraft safety pins
verryoldman
verryoldman
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 am

Another method I have used if you can't get access with a drill or just can't finish the job because a bit of the drill has snapped off is to dot punch hard between the castellations on the top of the thread - assuming that you have got access enough for a decent hammer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Or just weld the fucker on Twisted Evil
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 am

The Micra needs a new driveshaft. I am still procrastinating this job because I need a complete free weekend to get it done, just because of this devil split pin...
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down