Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine swap ideas

5 posters

Go down

Engine swap ideas Empty Engine swap ideas

Post by Brainsparks30 Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Seeing as how the engine appears to be the weak point in Hi-jets, has anyone done an engine swap? I was thinking of a motorcycle engine, something simple and tough with good parts availability. How about air cooled?
Even a diesel could be considered.

Most of the cheap vans on Ebay have engine issues and I like to make stuff.

Brainsparks30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Engine swap ideas Empty Re: Engine swap ideas

Post by rwd Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Ive just stripped out my van and stripped a Kawasaki zzr1100 for the engine. Should be fun when ive done it

rwd

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainsparks30 Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:49 pm

I'd be quite keen to see the progress on that.
The bit that boggles me most is how to adapt the drive between new engine and existing transmission.

Brainsparks30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:25 am

More to the point, how do you get over the embarrassment of having to get out of the cab and push it backwards into a parking space in the middle of the High Street, especially up a slope??

Not an easy solution to find a way for having a reverse gear.
The old Bond 3 wheelers that had 2 stroke engines and could be stopped and the engine would run backwards so had 4 reverse gears in effect.

Unfortunately 4 strokes don't fare to well trying to run them backwards. Arrow Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 am

Woodie wrote:More to the point, how do you get over the embarrassment of having to get out of the cab and push it backwards into a parking space in the middle of the High Street, especially up a slope??

Not an easy solution to find a way for having a reverse gear.
l:

There are solutions available - offered for bike engined kit cars - basically a little electric motor for reverse. But be aware they are quite pricey. I think it is probably easier to go the 1600 route - or the if you fancy a diesel go that route - I think it has the same cooling issues which are really related to the layout of engine, radiator and heater which can create airlocks. Without wishing to bore you all - I believe using tap water is asking for trouble, water companies add many chemicals and these can react with the materials which make the modern gaskett. Deionised water is about £1-50 for 2.5 litres and should be mixed 50/50 with antifreeze for a good coolant. Then carefully follow the filling and bleeding method on this site.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by SamT. Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:24 pm

If you wanted to make it even less reliable an RX-8 engine would probably fit. It's on the "maybe one day" list for me. If an EJ20 would fit, (probably too wide) that'd be my first choice.
At least with these two options, if you blow it up it won't throw a piston up ya ass Laughing
SamT.
SamT.
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Greybeard Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:41 pm

The ZZR sounds like a giggle. Search YouTube - there's at least one with a goldwing engine (which already has the reversing motor) and another with (IIRC) a hayabusa unit. Mental.

Greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down