Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mot and exhaust woes

2 posters

Go down

Mot and exhaust woes Empty Mot and exhaust woes

Post by sputnik Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:40 pm

My wee 1.3 Mpv flunked it’s MOT today. Corroded brake lines at the rear and both front (cat) and rear exhaust sections disintegrated (interestingly quite quiet when I drove to Kwik Fit but blowing like a messerschmitt and hanging off when I went to collect - hmmm). Anyways, I need a new front and back section but am a bit puzzled by what I actually need. Am I right in thinking pick up sections won’t fit but van ones will? And there seems to be a lot of ambiguity about what years the different types might fit, as well as dual fuel, year of m/fracture and so on.

Can anyone advise the oem part numbers or generally advise on what I need to find?I gather Regis exhausts May be the guys to speak to although can’t see that they sell the front section with the cat.

On the plus side, no sign of failing or advisories for my alluminium tape repaired headlamp bowls (despite the fact that I cannot believe the aim is actually set properly.

Oh, one more thing - what are the chances of the local garage being able to fit new brake lines at the rear without removing/dropping the fuel tank? They look ok from the front of the fuel tank forwards so guess they could try to flare them in from their back to the rear.

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Mot and exhaust woes Empty Re: Mot and exhaust woes

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:36 am

I have just spent almost an hour replying to your questions on here and this poxy site has just dumped my whole post. I have just about had enough of this time wasting set up.

Back to top Go down

Post by sputnik Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:43 am

Aw, man. I feel your pain (having done similar, many times). Regardless I’m grateful for you taking the effort. Kick back, have a drink, relax. Tomorrow is another day!

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:00 am

OH NO!! I don't believe THIS. It has done the same thing AGAIN. Sorry but I'm not tapping it out a third time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:12 am

Mot and exhaust woes Screen12
Mot and exhaust woes Dsc_0019
Mot and exhaust woes Dsc_0020
Mot and exhaust woes Dsc_0022

I will later on try again to explain the difference between the three exhaust systems and the best way to go about replacing the rusty brake pipes - - when the steam pressure has gone down and stopped emitting from my ears.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Right, let's have another bash -if I can remember what I said yesterday. Dooohhh!!
Yes you are right, Pickup system is different to the Van and the Van and MPV are the same of course.
There are two common exhaust systems on the 1300. It sounds as though you have the in line system, which has the Cat bolted to the Exhaust Manifold and a Silencer with a second Lamda Sensor screwed into it, and going on straight to the tailpipe.
The Second type is the Piggy Back Cat and Silencer, in the shape of a reverse "S". Some Cats are bolted and some welded, depending on the manufacturer.
I have got a third type that comes straight off the Exhaust Manifold to the silencer and no Cat, but how that can be I don't know as Cats were a requirement from around 90-91 I believe.
If as I suspect from your description you have the first system then I have a few used Cats if you want one.
Neil Farrier at Regis Exhausts does the Silencer and Tailpipe for £105 I think including carriage. Mention Woody and the Forum and he will make you a new exhaust very quickly and dispatched. He has when I have been desperate made me one and dispatched it by 3pm the same day. Can't ask for more than that can you??

He does not supply Catalytic Converters though unfortunately. I have tried to persuade him to find a source and make both systems. One day perhaps.
Neils number is 07906 860717.

As regards the two brake pipes, they tend to rust out alongside the Petrol Tank and as such to get to them the Tank will need to be dropped down. Take care to disconnect the connector to the Petrol Gauge Sender Unit and VERY carefully remove the rubber vacuum pipe from the top of the tank. Disconnect it from the little plastic
Vacuum connector. Be very careful not to damage the little metal 90° angled pipe as effectively it can scrap the tank or cause a difficult repair.

From personal experience I wouldn't recommend cutting and joining the metal pipes to copper ones. I made that mistake and had to buy the two kits you see here. They are a superb piece of equipment and cost me in excess of £250, but will I expect make some of the money back on other jobs.

The best way is to replace the whole lengths from back to the 2 Unions alongside the chassis under the drivers seat. It is quite a long run with a couple of sets of interesting shaped bends, but if you are going to do it or the garage, I think that it is the best way to do it.

The Hydraulic Brake Pipe Flaring Tools I bought are made by Sykes-Pickavant and is of a great design, so much so that Snapon Tools buy it from Sykes-Pickavant and merely put their own Snapon stickers on it and sell it for more than double the Sykes-Pickavant price. But of course they give a lifetime guarantee with most of their branded tools.

If the Cat is of interest to you or you have got any questions then you can contact me by email at : thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:57 pm

HMMMM!!! THIRD TIME LUCKY. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by sputnik Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 am

Hi Woody. Thanks for taking the time (3 times!) to reply. I'll need to have another scrabble around under the van to be absolutely certain but I'm pretty sure my front exhaust section looks like this one https://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?ID=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&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_tvgj4nj1gIVBpPtCh2GWgkREAQYAiABEgJRv_D_BwE

In fact, despite having searched a million times over the weekend I have only just found that link for the first time and it's the first one I've seen that says it is actually for an MPV, rather than a pick-up - and it looks like a decent price! Am I missing something here??

The rear is like this with the u-shaped banana pipe http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIHATSU-HI-JET-1-3-VAN-REAR-EXHAUST-SILENCER-1998-2000-/120702553578?fits=Model%3AHijet&epid=1688235917&hash=item1c1a6ecdeaⓂmV-A-DrNfw7edL0L4nhzCwA

The brake pipes actually look to be in pretty good nick for most of their run. It appears to just be the heavily curved section beside the brake actuator valve that is crumbly, although obviously I can't tell what might be lurking above the tank. Finances may mean I have to go for whatever option will get me through an MOT retest cheapest even if that needs to be revisited in the future. That said, my neighbour has a set of the tools you posted which he is happy to let me loose on. I am just a bit hesitant to experiment with my workshop skills when it come to something as safety critical as the brakes!

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 am

Well at least you are honest about it, and there is certainly no shame in asking for help if you are not sure rather than toughing it out, blundering around  in the dark. I'm a great believer in asking if you are not sure of something - LIKE POSTING PHOTOS.
Standing joke on here. I had numerous helpers but not in Layman's terms ( or idiots terms in my case) and I occasionally got it right, but using a Laptop it was painful and a 90% fail rate. But once I used my Z4 Tablet it was almost plain sailing. Still make errors though. Rolling Eyes

The Ebay picture is a Piggy Back version and you would have to buy their matching Cat too.

I have just spoken with Neil Farrier at Regis Exhausts and he IS now supplying Catalytic Converters as well although he is not advertising the fact on Ebay.  He is now  making the complete  In-line system and the Piggy Back system too for the Van and MPV  and also now  makes the complete system for a Pickup. All three  complete Systems are £200 each including carriage. So really good news that for all 1300 owners.

I forgot to ask about the 993cc version. I will contact him another day about that. He was very busy first thing on a Monday morning.

Neil's number again is 07906 860717

Back to top Go down

Post by sputnik Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:12 am

Ah, great news! That hopefully makes things a bit simpler - I'll contact Neil at Regis and see if he can sort me out a full system.

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Can recommend Neil as well, as he supplied the complete system for me for my 993 van. Was a good price and he was very helpful sorting it out to get the correct one. Quick service as well.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down