Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fan issues

5 posters

Go down

Fan issues Empty Fan issues

Post by Davethelion Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:28 am

Hi folks. A belated happy new year to you. I got my 1999 Hijet a few months ago. The fan was working great. Once the temperature gauge got up near the hot side, the fan kicked in perfectly. This happened at prolonged idle, in heavy traffic, etc. However on the way to work this morning whilst in stationary traffic, I noticed the gauge creeping up but the fan didn't kick in Shocked Once I got parked I sat at idle but gauge kept rising without the reassuring fan sound. I revved the engine and could hear a noise at the rear which sounded like it was coming from the battery - maybe something to do with the battery trying to get the fan started? Anybody else had a similar experience and can offer advice? Peace, Dave

Davethelion

Back to top Go down

Fan issues Empty Re: Fan issues

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Have you checked your water level Dave? The noise you heard is likely to be steam escaping from the expansion bottle under the passenger seat or the Radiator Cap behind the grille.
Check out the radcap on the metal pipe under the passenger seat. If you can't see any water in the metal pipe and the Expansion Bottle is full of water, you will need to go through a complete System Bleed process.

If the fan didn't cut in it could be because the water level is very low. The Fan sensor is on the Metal Water Pipe in front of the 2nd.Radcap.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:08 am

Also the fan relay wiring is shit( as is all hijet wiring) the connections fur up and stop the current getting through. My wiring was shagged, hence I have a switch.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:37 am

I too have an overide switch on the centre console next to the handbrake lever. A definite must have on a Hi-Jet despite what ANYONE tells you. 13 years of Hi-Jets tells me that.

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Woodie wrote:I too have an overide switch on the centre console next to the handbrake lever. A definite must have on a Hi-Jet despite what ANYONE  tells you.  13 years of Hi-Jets tells me that.
Shocked

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:19 pm

I have one on mine but only really used it after exiting a motorway and then waiting at lights as you come off the sliproad as is my daily drive. Rather play on safe side and keep things cool before something happens than use it as a last resort! Would be better to have the fan automatically do that i.e, for it to kick in at a lower temp than it does automatically but dont think there is an alternative temp sender.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:46 pm

By the way I still keep new Fan Relays in stock, also for the Fuel Pump and Headlights. Illuminated rocker switches, Headlight H4 Bulb repair kits, Flashing Red Mock Alarm Warning Lights for on the dashboard, much brighter 100/80w H4 Headlight bulbs which are a safe current draw on the 20amp Headlamp relay, using 16amps on full beam, and a few other accessories that I will put up some pictures and details on for everyone to browse through.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davethelion Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am

cheers woodie. 'little blue' has had a full system bleed and it seems to have done the trick - fan now kicking in as it should but i'll be keeping a close eye on things! will defo have to consider the override switch idea. peace, dave

Davethelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Great. Well done Dave. One thing I should have mentioned is to have checked out the condition of the two radiator caps. If they look a bit tired and the rubber seals have a ring imprint on them, then I would suggest that you buy a couple of new ones. Fit the lower one first, swopping over as quickly as possible. Same goes for the one on the Radiator.

I would be another good idea to have a look at all or as many as you can of the rubber pipe to metal or plastic hose clipped joints for signs of leaking.

Hopefully you will have pink Anti freeze in the system and antifreeze decreases the viscosity of water and finds a way out of the system better than plain water.

Check out the joints for signs of pink traces around them.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Woodie wrote:antifreeze decreases the viscosity of water

Increases! Antifreeze is "thicker" than water.

I am such a nit picker!!!! Embarassed
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 pm

SwiftKey strikes again for the second time tonight. I had put increases rather than decreases . I must write on the top of each email." Don't forget to check out the spelling".

I had to send a message to Elfin Girl tonight because a similar thing happened then.

I have lost some of my Marbles this past 9months but English was and is my favourite subject and hate spelling words incorrectly. That's Nit Picking Matt.

You were right to correct my spelling mistake (or the damn phone app) as it was misleading.
Actually SwiftKey is a great app but it does need proof reading afterwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davethelion Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:51 am

Hi Woodie - any suggestions on where to order two new good quality caps? Cheers, Dave

Davethelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:55 am

Get back to you a little later today David. I May have a couple to spare in stock anyway. P.M. me your mobile number so I can contact you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davethelion Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:17 am

Done - thanks pal.

Davethelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Nothing has come through to me today Dave. I will PM you my number and price of two proper Thermostats - not your First Line El-cheapo ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davethelion Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:34 am

Hi Woodie - there must be a messaging issue as I didn't get anything. Could you email me at davidaohare@googlemail.com. Cheers, D

Davethelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down