Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cure for Overheating issues?

4 posters

Go down

Cure for Overheating issues? Empty Cure for Overheating issues?

Post by nick in beds Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi All,

Well, I am new to the forum and Hijet ownership, but not to delicate cooling systems as I've always had classics around which were mostly not built to cope with modern driving conditions.

I am wondering if anyone here has tried waterless coolant in the Hijet - boiling point 180 degrees so virtually no pressure in the system.

I've not tried it myself but have been reading on the web (as you do) and whilst there are those for and against, most of the against haven't actually tried it and are going on "some fact they have read" or "something a bloke in the pub told me". Whereas those in favour are usually speaking from experience.

Do you guys have a view on this?

Cheers, Nick.

nick in beds

Back to top Go down

Cure for Overheating issues? Empty Re: Cure for Overheating issues?

Post by Raggy Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Did see that on a program where it was to combat hot conditions but best way is to sort the root cause of the overheating in the first place. As Woodie says, these are a sealed system technically and if sealed work just fine, its when leaks or ingress of air occurs that they then overheat as a consequence of that. If you have an overheat problem, the fluid will not help, the fluid will only help keep temp down to delay the point the thermostat or fan kicks in.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:46 am

Check out the price of it... .
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by nick in beds Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:51 am

That's a good point regarding the price, I guess as these vans are only worth a few hundred quid it would virtually double the cost of the van ...

nick in beds

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Waterless coolant is such a load of bollocks. Its just glycol.

It has a lower specific heat capacity than water.

It is also flammable, so a coolant leak under the bonnet could end in tears.

The other reason that Evans products are prohibited at race tracks is that they are flammable. They have flash points in the range of 225-232oF. This means that if Evans coolant were released at or above the flash point, it could ignite. Because we observed coolant temperatures in this range during actual operating conditions, this is a real risk.

I would read this, as it states all of my thoughts better than I could ever say http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down