Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heater not working

+2
PFM
maralions
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Heater not working - Page 2 Empty Re: Heater not working

Post by Raggy Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Ahhhhh! I understand now, modification needed, although tomorrow may need to fall back to the tape wrap method as I need to get it done, thanks for the clarification. I'll pinch a bit more hosepipe, we needed a new one anyway Very Happy

Just been out and removed the end and added tape wrap, snug fit now, ready for tomorrow. Think it was a case of sledgehammer to crack a nut syndrome! Anyway, other end works fine keeping hose onto can spout. Very Happy

Last edited by Raggy on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:01 pm

A hour or so spent cleaning and watering, cleaned up the pressure relief valve seat (will get new caps this week) and filled and bled the system using Woodys excellent instructions for a pressure fill. All went well, water flowing out, let water run through heater bleed, let it warm up and cool down, topped up (hardly any added), took it ou or a good run, water up to temp...heater...luke warm again... Neutral  Ah well, looks like another go when I get sone new caps. Apart from heater it went well, and ran perfectly, engine temp wise etc. Did check heater cable and heater valve moving at Woodys suggestion and they were both working. At least I now know how to fill a Hijet with water!

As a side whilst cleaning the pressure valve seat, found that a tap seat cutte fitted just right and allowed the botton face to be cleaned. Mine didnt need much doing to it but maybe anyone else who has a corroded one with priblems sealing to it, it may help restore it for a bit more life. My cutter was from B&Q.
Heater not working - Page 2 Imag0312
Heater not working - Page 2 Imag0313
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Some Photos from Woody for info in case anyone like me is new to filling a Hijet with fluid.

Heater not working - Page 2 Dsc_0011
Pipe with tape wound around so its a snug fit in neck of radiator fill point
Heater not working - Page 2 Dsc_0012
Showing where hose fits once most of the water has been filled and a force feed is needed to flush out any air pockets.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Another little update, in the process of bleeding the system to try and get sone decent heat from the heater, I changed the rad caps at Woodys advice, here are the ones that came off (both originals I bet), looking a little tired I think. Next up probably check all the hose clips, found one that had been replaced with a jubilee clip and it needed nipping up a little. Rest are all original I think.
Heater not working - Page 2 Image11
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Just a thought, is it possible that the heater matrix has become clogged after a while of low use and now I am using it most days on a motorway journey? Have bled system a few times now and no air seems to come from heater bleed pipe, runs just fine otherwise, not overheating etc, no problems with water levels. Only thing I can think off? Just talking to a friend with a 993 hijet and he says his gets so hot he has to put sunroof up!
How big a job is getting to the matrix or could there be another solution, fault, something to check.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:49 pm

It's possible the matrix has been clogged up with rad sealant? Heater should be toasty, if temp gauge reads halfway? The spring clips used are shite when old, replace all with proper jubilee clips, the originals get rusty and lose springyness,
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Bumper and indicators off, radiator and support frame, hoses, heater hoses and cable control, steering wheel off the column, speedo out and brackets on door pillar and all dashboard loom connections, release brake fluid container, glove box, and brackets on door pillar behind, heater facia and vents off and 3 10mm bolts holding a dashboard bracket, four screws holding heater controls, two blanking plugs on dashboard - 10mm bolts underneath the square central panel on the day that we discussed earlier, 10mm bolts underneath then carefully remove the whole dash. Probably one or two bits I have forgotten. Once out there is one 10mm bolt at the bottom of the heater. It can be awkward removing the heater as the pipes are tricky to get out through the body work.. Be careful when removing electrical connection to the speed control. They are very delicate. Apart from all that, it's a doddle. Just fit a complete heater unit. Don't bother splitting it down.
Putting it back is fun too. No pale

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Yes, all clips are rusty so its on the jobs list. Temp guage when running down motorway stays at just under half way once its done the trip to 3/4 then thermo kicks off and it drops down to under halfway. The heater when I had the van looked at in October and had the coolant replaced (and had the thermostat refitted!) gave out good heat as you say toasty, but has gradually lessened to a point where it its just warm. Tried bleeding heater in case it was air but not had any sucess so now thinking its the heater matrix not having enough flow through it. Have seen in manual that its possible to flush the heater via its inlet pipe so that may eventually be a possible....when weather is a tad better!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Thanks for that very detailed breakdown! Very Happy Think I may look at seeing if I can do a heater flush first then wear some big socks then I may have to follow your instructions! Just read HJ's instructions on how to remove the dash on tpis website. Nothings ever easy in life is it.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:45 pm

Nope Raggy, you have got that wrong. Nothing is easy on a Hi-Jet - except spending money on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Laughing Laughing  Yes, think you are right there!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:46 pm

Just browsing the bay and saw this, whats the smaller of the two pipes? Can understand inlet and outlet but a third? Am I right in thinking main ones are inlet and outlet when flow is from radiator and smaller is an inlet supply when thermostat not open so flow (and heat) are still available?
Heater not working - Page 2 Image12
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:10 am

No Raggy that is the air bleed pipe that sticks out of the bulkhead that I hope you have been bleeding the air out of. You can clearly see the rubber bung with pinch type hose clip. On the 1300 models you have a shaped rubber pipe that returns to the radiator neck. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:41 am

Ah, completey forgot about the bleed pipe! And yes I have been using it to try and get some reasonable heat. Think what confussed me is the size, pipe looks bigger in that picture than in real life. Thanks for that.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:26 am

I'm on my 3rd Hijet and haven't yet had an over-heater so its only a matter of time before I earn my stripes (or lose my marbles).

I do, however, also have a lukewarm heater and my temperature gauge never even gets to half way. I think passenger side vent may be stuck but aside from that, it just doesn't get that warm. I remember the other two being really hot.

Looks like I'm going to have to get my hosepipe and tape out (oo er missus).

One question: can't I use the hosepipe attached to the tap? Why does it have to be from a watering can? Is it too much pressure or something like that?

Thanks

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:22 pm

You have a tap that dispenses anti freeze???.......
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2