Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just removed cylinder head

3 posters

Go down

just removed cylinder head Empty just removed cylinder head

Post by cooter Sat May 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Our 1998 hijet project had overheating issues and diagnosis pointed towards the head gasket so we have stripped it down, and removed the head, its a project for my 12 year old son so he photographs everything as he goes along, anyway the head complete with cam is off and that's going for a pressure test and skin, looking at the block am I right in saying its wet linered? Its a 1.3 16v, thanks

cooter

Back to top Go down

just removed cylinder head Empty Re: just removed cylinder head

Post by HighlyJetted Sun May 31, 2015 10:45 pm

I really don't know the block as I've never overly studied them. But I think its just a sleeved block, with a water gallery that entirely surround the section that holds the sleeves.

I have stripped Peugeot engines with wet liners, and they are free floating tubes with seals on the bottom. But the 1.3 Daihatsu engine is not like that.

This really goes beyond my field of knowledge, and any education is most appreciated.

HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

just removed cylinder head Empty Same probems with my Piaggio Porter, exactly the same as a Daihatsu Hijet

Post by Grandy2491 Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:04 am

Hi guys, I have the same trouble that everyone else are having with these vans, regarding overheating, pumping coolant back into the res tank, head gasket etc. I have come on here because there is no Piaggio Porter Motor-home forum. My question to this post is: is it easy to get the cylinder head off from inside the cab? my van seems identical to the Daihatsu vans, only the badge is different. The body has a cover behind the engine/cab, but mine is covered over by the motor-home body, so I can't get to it. I am quite capable of changing the head gasket, I am an old timer and worked on hundreds of car and van engines etc through my 73 years existence. So, just wandered if I can tackle this from inside the cab and maybe from underneath etc?
thanks for any help.

Grandy2491

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:08 am

What body have you got on your Piaggio Pickup?? Is it a Romahome?

Back to top Go down

just removed cylinder head Empty Correct

Post by Grandy2491 Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks for your reply and yes it is a Romahome, don't think there are many left now, but we love ours, and I want to keep it, if I can just get this sorted? With the symptoms I have it does look pretty certain I have a blown head gasket.

I will have a go at it if I know for sure I can do it under the passengers/drivers seat. I don't want to get so far then find I can't get the head out, as it looks really awkward? many thanks.

Owen

Grandy2491

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:38 am

Right well that is good then. If it was a genuine Romahome conversion then you would have an inspection cover inside the body up against the front bulkhead..Is there an inspection cover in between the bunks at the back?? If so then somebody has put a Honda Acty body on it. Are the windows fixed or opening and if opening are they oblong or diamond shape, pointed at the front? If you are lucky enough to have the pointed ones then you have a rare Mk5 body. My guess is that you have the oblong windows.
With the proper front side jacks the body can be removed easily in under ten minutes. Without the side jacks and a bit of improvisation and a couple of scissor jacks and some wood it can still be lifted up and the pickup moved forward 3 to 5feet in not much longer time, so that you can get access to the gearbox cover and rear of the head. I worked for Romahome for two years as Service and Warranties Manager so know a bit about them. I currently own 3 Romahomes so you have definitely come to the right Hi-Jet/Porter website. It is a great Forum and you will be glad you joined it.

Mind you, you will have to put up with a lot of leg pulling and irreverent abuse from me!!

If you email me your phone number then I will put you in my Contacts list and then you can call me. I have Call Blocker in place to stop ANY calls that aren't in my Contacts list. My email address is:

hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com and phone number is 0786 303030 9. Email me first with your Mobile or Landline number or you won't get through.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:39 am

Right well that is good then. If it was a genuine Romahome conversion then you would have an inspection cover inside the body up against the front bulkhead..Is there an inspection cover in between the bunks at the back?? If so then somebody has put a Honda Acty body on it. Are the windows fixed or opening and if opening are they oblong or diamond shape, pointed at the front? If you are lucky enough to have the pointed ones then you have a rare Mk5 body. My guess is that you have the oblong windows.
With the proper front side jacks the body can be removed easily in under ten minutes. Without the side jacks and a bit of improvisation and a couple of scissor jacks and some wood it can still be lifted up and the pickup moved forward 3 to 5feet in not much longer time, so that you can get access to the gearbox cover and rear of the head. I worked for Romahome for two years as Service and Warranties Manager so know a bit about them. I currently own 3 Romahomes so you have definitely come to the right Hi-Jet/Porter website. It is a great Forum and you will be glad you joined it.

Mind you, you will have to put up with a lot of leg pulling and irreverent abuse from me!!

If you email me your phone number then I will put you in my Contacts list and then you can call me. I have Call Blocker in place to stop ANY calls that aren't in my Contacts list. My email address is:

hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com and phone number is 0786 303030 9. Email me first with your Mobile or Landline number or you won't get through.

Back to top Go down

Back to top Go down

Back to top Go down

Back to top Go down

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:42 am

Damn phone wouldn't send the message. Now look what happened.
Oh well, repetition for emphasis works for me !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:12 am

Before you go through all the hassle of moving the body back - well that's not hassle - its a doddle, we need to make sure that it is the head gasket before you start any work. Are you getting volumes of steam out of the exhaust, bearing in mind that we have got wet weather at the moment, the engine needs to be pretty warm and the whole exhaust system hot.
We need to be sure that it is head gasket and not just in need of two new radiator caps and the water system bleeding properly. It can be just as simple as that. I have seen Motor Trade diagnosis of Hijet head gasket gone syndrome many times and all it needs is to be bled properly.

Mind you because of inaccurate diagnosis by the Garages I have bought numerous Hi-Jet's and bled them and fitted 2 new Radcaps and made myself a whopping profit selling the Hi-Jet again. Love the Idiots to bits. Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down