Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires

5 posters

Go down

faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Empty faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires

Post by stevelav Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:48 pm

I've got my petrol tank off and and struggled a bit with one of the electric connectors which may have broken this wire off or it could have been like that before.
[img]faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Img_2012[/img]

Would this be why my fuel gauge has not been working, is that the usual problem for non functioning fuel gauges, bad connections to the tank or could it be something inside?

Also are both the sets of cables for the fuel gauge, is there two sensors in the tank?

As well I was amazed how many pipes there are coming off the tank, I can see one is the filling tube and one goes to the fuel filter but what are the other two for?

[img]faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Img_2013[/img]

stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Empty Re: faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires

Post by Little Black Van Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:58 am

I think one of them goes to the charcoal filter which catches the vapours that come off, but I'm not sure about the last one.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Empty Re: faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires

Post by stevelav Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

that makes sense, something to catch any vapours pushed out of the tank

but what about this one below - it was connected at A but pipe B was loose just laying on top of the tank and there is that cylinder thing in between??

[img]faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Img_2014[/img]
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:55 am

stevelav wrote:
[img]faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Img_2013[/img]

S1 = Fuel gauge sender - has 3 wires - 1 wire does the fuel light - 1 wire does the gauge - 1 wire is ground

S2 = Fuel Pump - has 2 wires - 12v + ground

Single wet metal pipe - Breather to the filler neck so when your filling tank at the petrol station, the air can get out.

The little hoses with the valve - pipe come off tank - into directional valve - one pipe lets air in when the engine is eating fuel - one pipe lets air out due to expansion from heat. The air out pipe goes to the charcoal can under the passenger seat - not sure where the other one goes. Either way those too are not important as long as the valve is there.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:38 pm

fantastic , so no need to worry about the unconnected pipe I'll just tie it up out of the way when i put the tank back.
hopefully then if i sort out the electric connectors my fuel gauge will start to work.
Amazing you actually know what all these fiddly bits do!
Thanks Stephen
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwood Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Coincidence then. I've just brimmed my tank and now the fuel gauge is dead. Does this sound like the float problem? If so, is this going to be pretty easy to fix? How easy is it to get the tank off? How do I access the float? I believe there should be an end cap which may be sitting in the bottom of the tank.

It's a bit of a bummer as this is the first time I've filled it and I have no idea how far it's going to go before I run out. What's the range on a '98 1.3 petrol MPV with a full tank as I doubt that the light will work either now. (Didn't know it had a warning light to be fair.)
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Maybe baby! You just never quite know for sure without a few experiments Laughing
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:29 pm

It was easy enough to get the tank off.

The way i did it was drain it, then I used a strap (old belt) to hold it up at the front (tied around drive shaft then under tank and tied it on the other side) and my jack to hold it up at the back.
Then undo 4 bolts holding tank on so it drops onto the jack and strap, lower a bit, disconnect all tubes and wires.
Hardest bit was getting all the tubes and wires off, you prob need the van up on axel stands at the back to get at all the tubes.
To get into the tank I guess you need to take off the cover where the sensor is which is held on by little bolts, might be tricky if its rusted up

[img]faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Sensor10[/img]

good luck!
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Yeah they come out easy enough - think they are 8mm from memory. That pulls the whole float tube out, which should have a cap on the other end which you can pop off/on and inside is the float which runs up and down a little PCB
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:37 pm

whats a PCB if its not a primary circuit board?
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:40 pm

You might want to consider doing your fuel filter as well while youre at it, as if yours is anything like mine its well hard to get off with the tank in place.
Hard enough to unbolt it with the tank out!
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwood Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Great, I'll give it a go and report back. Cheers guys.
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:31 pm

stevelav wrote:whats a PCB if its not a primary circuit board?
It's actualy a printed-circuit board.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwood Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Haven't got round to taking the tank off yet as I still have oodles of fuel in it. However, it has been an interesting experience waiting for it to run out. The fuel gauge has become more of an inclinometer. When I head down hill, the needle slowly moves to the right and when driving uphill, it creeps left to empty. Driving produces an interesting game as I bet I can measure my g under braking and acceleration.

Anyway, real question... presuming my fuel gauge warning light still works, does it run from the same float or is it a separate measure? It'd be lovely if it was as I'd know when I need to fill, rather than using the force.
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwood Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Ah, I should have been patient. Found this: https://hijet.forumotion.com/t1070-13-efi-fuel-sender-fixed in the general discussion area which answers my question. They'll both be on the same system as both worked after the fix.
jonwood
jonwood
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm

I took my float out as well while I had the tank off and sure enough the float had dropped out of the tube and was in the bottom of the tank with the end cap as well (then I played the petrol tank fishing game to get then out)
I put it back in but that end cap comes off easily so I thought i'd glue it on. But then its hard to know how well a glue will stand being submerged in petrol so I kind of melted it on by running a hot knife all round the join to the tube. Not pretty but I don't think it will come off again.
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:54 pm

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17906969/16]faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Dsc00010
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:51 pm

stevelav wrote:[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17906969/16]faulty fuel gage & petrol tank wires Dsc00010

That's perfect Steve! That isn't falling off anytime soon.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down