Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!)

+7
HIJET1300GT
rich the mechanic
d1noh
PFM
Logi
HighlyJetted
elfin girl
11 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Empty Re: mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!)

Post by Logi Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Pretty sure someone on here (Rich?) made their own bleeding setup? Both my new caps are sprung, no probs with mine.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Empty Re: mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!)

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:20 pm

I did make a quick bleed kit and I'm also in Harlow about 6 miles from Hoddesdon and can do private work if required.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:38 pm

aha, i may have to take you up on that rich, i can just about get to harlow before i loose all the water!

been reading loads of blogs and stuff, a few said about using a pipe with a funnel on the end going into the rad or expansion pipe and filling through that (theory being that its then higher than the heater matrix so the air will rise out) sound feasable??!!
of course id have to grow an extra couple of arms for that so would then be having to make adjustments to all my clothes... its just never ending Laughing
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:46 pm

I haven't seen a LPG conversion but if it is what I think it is I can make a version of mine to suit. I'm assuming you have a 1.3 the bleed on a 993cc is by the rad

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Image010
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 pm

ive also beel trawling the site trying to find a picture of whats under the drivers seat just to get a look at the bleed valve but cant seem to find one!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:53 pm

yeah mines a 1.3, although there is some hose above the rad, not much space there tho to see where it goes

just lookked, its not a bleed valve!
gonna head to c+a autos tommorow and possibly a plumbers, see if i cant find anything usefull

i will most likely need your help at some stage, just humour me while i see if can do it! Laughing
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:26 pm

I remember someone else having trouble bleeding a 1.3 and using a long hose and funnel I have an idea but need to see it first as I don't know the sizes but it involves an extention to the system and a lenght of hose.

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Map10
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks rich, I'm not driving at the mo cos its got so bad and I don't need the head gasket to blow too (if it hasn't already) got some pipe a T piece and and a (house) radiator valve so I can cut the pipe and instal it, now even though I know I have plenty of bits of copper pipe... Can I find any? ... No that would just be too easy! Gotta wander down the road now to friend who has some..... On the plus side all this walking about I should lose a few pounds! I really hope this works, my theory at the moment is there is air in there that I can't get out which is causing too much pressure to build up causing the rad cap to leak, of Course there could me more leaks now but figure it's best to just deal with one at a time
If I can fix this I will be one happy bunny Laughing
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HIJET1300GT Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:56 pm

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Img_2010
mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Img_2011
1.3 air bleed nipple under drivers seat.
HIJET1300GT
HIJET1300GT
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm

so this is how far ive got, undecided how long to cut the new rubber pipe!, its been a rean mission to find anything suitable, the annoying thing is ive probably got loads of stuff inn various boxes and bottles but just dont knwow where anything is at the mo! i am told that blue t piece is heat resistant

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Bleede11
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 pm

the to of my rad, as you can see quite stained from it leaking

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 13092010
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:52 pm

You need to work out exactly what is leaking there, i'd be tempted to fill it up with water best you can and leave it to run till it pisses out.

While I was at it i'd get the bumper off and watch the whole radiator.

I bought these caps which have fitted my hijet perfectly http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daihatsu-Hijet-Hi-jet-1-0-New-Radiator-Cap-/120891079021?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c25ab796d#ht_2736wt_1189 although it was a year ago, but same advert and same seller.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 pm

bleed valve a success, sort of Rolling Eyes
rad cap did not leak while ticking over till fan kicked in,
off out for chips now will elaborate later when the vans cooled down so i can check the levels
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Checked levels after it had cooled down, it needed about a shots worth!
Tried removing the bumber earlier but the two bolts at the front underneath have rusted on and I didn't have time to mess around with them, will see what I can do tomorrow, crawled underneath and had a look at the pipes from there and can't see anything obviously bad but like you said I do really need to look at the whole thing while it's running, haven't driven it anywhere yet so am not going to presume its fixed!

I did have an anomalie while trying to bleed the system, couldn't get water out of the bleed pipe while the engine was running but it came out fine when the engine was stopped!?
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:31 pm

I don't think you'll be able to prime it with the engine running as the water pump will create suction and pressure, overcoming the gravity bleed your trying to implement.

Here is the official Daihatsu Hijet Coolant Bleed sticker from under the grill:-

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Radiat10

Have you at least put your head underneath the bottom of the radiator to make sure either of the clips don't look like this (cracked):-

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Cracke10

And if your rad cap seat looks like this under the passenger seat it'll never work right, both those seat points need to be real nice.

mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!) - Page 2 Img_7612
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Yeah, I crawled under earlier and had a look, didn't look too bad, there are only two joints that look iffy at the site where the bleed pipe should have been, they don't seem to be leaking but gonna get more jubilee clips and clean them up. Rad cap Seat is nice and clean.
Where the hell is plug 1 ? Shocked
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:43 pm

Plug 1 is what you've recreated!

It's where the LPG vapouriser has been tee'd into the system. On a non gas one there is a rubber bung on one of the branches of the T.

I've just pulled the hose off manually and when lots of water came out I shoved it back on.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 pm

By the way, the rad cap is more than just a cap. It allows water to be drawn back in on cool down and makes sure the system operates at the correct pressure. If you don't have a correctly functioning cap it won't work right. So any extra seals or alterations you may have on the go won't help you.

People really overlook coolant systems, they are one of the most important balancing acts under the bonnet. Many a spanner monkey has very little understanding of each component and quite how it operates, and you can tell by the number of incorrect rad caps forced on various car. Alot of the time it's not a huge issue, but on a hijet it just air locks the radiator resulting in the major boil up.

Quite looking forwards to warming mine up again tomorrow to see how it fairs, i've just been out and it had a small air pocket in that pipe under the rad cap, couple of egg cups worth filled it. Which I'd expect to have to go round in this circle to get all the air out.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:43 am

Well I'd never really thought of it like that - learn something new every day , I do have two new caps on now though and not using any added seals! am going to give it a drive around today and see what happens, also try and get those rusted bolts out of the bumper and get a load of jubilee clips
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:50 pm

oo, oo, can i get excided yet? cheers
i know i shouldnt get my hopes up but drove it to the river today, let it settle while i walked the dogs then drove it arround for a bit, didnt put the heater on, it did not even get to half temp, no leaks at the rad cap, or the new bleed valve, im gonna drive it to stevenage now to visit my sister, have got plenty of water and tools in the van, will pick up some more clips before i go, and hopefully this second test run will be successful (although it has worked for a week at a time before then started overheating, but ive got a better idea of what im looking for now so fingers crossed, wish me luck guys Laughing
if you dont hear from me within the next 48hrs send out a search party (i dont think theres more than 2 days worth of food in the van!)
the van is green, and has weenybago painted on the back

oh and id just like to add somthing that was making me giggle today, normaly i avoid al the lumps and bumps in the roads, im sure i dont need to explain why, today however i was aiming at them with the theory that it might dislodge any air pockets to get them to the expansion pipe tap!! the dogs were not impressed, but i enjoyed myself bounce
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Daisydon said
oh and id just like to add somthing that was making me giggle today, normaly i avoid al the lumps and bumps in the roads, im sure i dont need to explain why, today however i was aiming at them with the theory that it might dislodge any air pockets to get them to the expansion pipe tap!! the dogs were not impressed, but i enjoyed myself

Silly sod Very Happy Very Happy
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Good luck!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 pm

daisydon wrote:if you dont hear from me within the next 48hrs send out a search party

IIRC the last person to say that on here wasn't heard from in about a week - she forgot she'd posted it I think! Needless to say, search parties were not forthcoming.

Hope it's done the trick and you make it back safely and on time.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:35 pm

Good luck Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:50 pm

well i got home..... its not totaly fixed though Crying or Very sad
i have found another minor leak which is totaly fixable..... then it will be fixed.... i think..... Rolling Eyes

im now going on the "lets be nice to the weenybago" if it gets better and works for me i have promised i will wash it and love it and do that conversion so i have a bed to sleep on in it Smile
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Then post some pics? Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:56 pm

absoloutely, ill start a whole new thread for that one, if i can find them to scan ive even got the pictures the previous owner sent me of the progress through the conversion he did! (which i had to remove cos there wasnt enough space for me and the dogs to sleep!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:21 pm

daisydon wrote:well i got home..... its not totaly fixed though Crying or Very sad
i have found another minor leak which is totaly fixable..... then it will be fixed.... i think..... Rolling Eyes

So what's this other leak? Oh do tell cheers
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:35 pm

small dribble from the pipe at the top of the rad, think that was being hidden by the flow that had been coming from the cap!
where does that pipe go anyway?!!!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:42 pm

Good question, one I was asking myself earlier.

Back with an answer soon!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next