Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

electrical problem after attempted car theft

4 posters

Go down

electrical problem after attempted car theft Empty electrical problem after attempted car theft

Post by agagag Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi,

the local kids smashed my window and and tried to hotwire the hijet on Wednesday morning, good old east london, second time in a month... I found the ignition barrel broken to bits and the two ignition cables cut off. Spend a bit of time trying to start it up, assembled the box as good as I could, there were two copper contacts inside which I thing I put back correctly but am not sure if there was any other bit missing.

Two contacts, two springs and two bearing balls. where all the small bits that I found. Are those two copper looking disks supposed to be separated by something?

In any case I failed to start the car. I once got all the red dashboard lights on but no ignition and once I managed to get the ignition to turn for a split second. After that nothing. I might have blown some fuse? Checked in the fusebox on the drivers side and everything looks good.

At the end I got the car recovered to a local garage but I am not really convinced of their competence so I would like to get some advice here. I ll wait for them to get back to me, they were supposed to get back to me this morning in fact, you know the drill :) At least the car is safe in their yard. In the meantime I have ordered the glass window from emma at http://usedhijetparts.co.uk and hopefully they will also have the barrel and the plastics that got destroyed.

Any ideas?

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

electrical problem after attempted car theft Empty Re: electrical problem after attempted car theft

Post by PFM Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:51 am

Sorry to hear you've had this hassle - hope they get strung up.

I've not had an ignition switch to bits yet - if they broke yours, might be best to get one from Emma with the barrel, then cut and join the wires with a sturdy connector block.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

electrical problem after attempted car theft Empty Re: electrical problem after attempted car theft

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 am

I'd be tempted to see if she has a full lock set then you can keep your keys matching.

But yeah you might have popped one of the main big EFI fuses which are under the drivers seat if I remember correctly, quite low down.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:51 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:I'd be tempted to see if she has a full lock set then you can keep your keys matching.

But yeah you might have popped one of the main big EFI fuses which are under the drivers seat if I remember correctly, quite low down.

The lock itself is fine and does not need to be replaced as far as I understand. I will conciser installing some security system though. ;)

Thanks for the tips, appreciated. :)

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Can someone pinpoint the location of the EFI fuses low down under the drivers seat? Is it accessible from the top or bottom? How does it look?

The mechanic will override the ignition and I will be able to start it again. But we are still looking for a blown fuse somewhere.

What a hassle!

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:25 pm

After searching the forum I found this :

"The main fuse, or 'fusible link' as the handbook calls it, is under the driver's seat - look down at the front of the opening towards the crossmember, it's behind where your left heel would be if you kicked it back from the clutch."

So I guess I ll look there

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Went to the garage and found the big yellow fuse myself :)
Now they are trying to get a replacement. Is this a standard fuse that I can get easily? I think I ll try to go to a car shop and look for one so I can get my car out today.

Is it specific to the hijet?

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:52 pm

That is a good question?! Not a clue.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Wasnt hard to find. I ll pick up the car today, although last time I checked headlights were not working but I am sure I can work it out.

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:40 pm

I got the car back while it starts after replacing the fusible link as it is called
None of the electrics are working, no lights, wipers, horn etc. These mechanics did almost as much damage as the people who broken into the car!

I assume that there must be another fuse , relay somewhere that is blown affecting all the electrics

Two yellow objects that look like fuseholders under the glove compartment in the passenger side:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f49/17/69/21/86/yellow10.jpg

And a relay looking box next to the main fusebox:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f49/17/69/21/86/relay210.jpg

Any hints are appreciated as usual :)

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Ok, I printed the electrical diagram for the 1.3 hijet on A3 paper. It seems that the repaired ignition switch is the problem. There doesn't seem to be anything else between the main fuse that was replaced and got the engine started and the fusebox with all the electrics. I will replace it tonight and hope it works.

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Sounds like you're well on track to solving this slowly but surely, and doing a much better job than the/any garage.

You can always bridge the terminals on the ignition barrel with a bit of wire, as per the diagram to check the switch is working or not.

Its a game of working out what's suppose to do what, then test to see if its doing it.

(not that helpful of a reply I know, but just wanted to offer you moral support and to give you and your efforts the big thumbs up!!)

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:55 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Sounds like you're well on track to solving this slowly but surely, and doing a much better job than the/any garage.

You can always bridge the terminals on the ignition barrel with a bit of wire, as per the diagram to check the switch is working or not.

Its a game of working out what's suppose to do what, then test to see if its doing it.

(not that helpful of a reply I know, but just wanted to offer you moral support and to give you and your efforts the big thumbs up!!)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

No luck after swapping the ignition. I must be missing something. :/ . I ll go back with a multimeter and more time to spend in a couple of days. And I was *sure* I understood this wiring diagram....

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:11 am

Boooo Sad

If you were close I'd drop in and mess and drink your tea.

But no one on this forum bar me lives up here in the northwest, maybe one guy. Sad

Its not the sort of thing you can diagnose without it being in front of you.

It'll be something small stupid and annoying - it always is!!!!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:
It'll be something small stupid and annoying - it always is!!!!!

And that would just be the help you would get Laughing
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

electrical problem after attempted car theft Empty Location of EFI fuses

Post by agagag Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:58 pm

I think I blew the EFI fuse while troubleshooting :/

Where is the EFI and more importantly where are the 2*15A fuses that are shown on the diagram?

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:53 am

Hang about, I'll get dress and have a look.....
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Just for the record the EFI fuses are hidden in a black relay looking box behind the ECU. The ECU lives under the dash in the passenger side. You get access to it by removing the glove compartment.

Unfortunately in my case they were not blown.

I ll take the engine cover from behind the front seats and see if any fuse is there. Not an easy job on this van because of the extra floor that it has. I will have to remove the back seat and the extra floor to do it.

If I manage to get this working I will write a post with the location of all the fuses which by then I will know all.

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 am

HJ obviously got sidetracked when he found his dress........... Very Happy

I had a look to see if I could find them - there's a photo in the manual but location isn't given. Well done for finding them - why the hell would they put them behund the ECU???

I can't recall seeing any fuses under the engine cover on my 993, not sure which yours is. Do you have any elecs working yet or is it all still dead?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:18 am

PFM wrote:HJ obviously got sidetracked when he found his dress........... :D

I had a look to see if I could find them - there's a photo in the manual but location isn't given. Well done for finding them - why the hell would they put them behund the ECU???

I can't recall seeing any fuses under the engine cover on my 993, not sure which yours is. Do you have any elecs working yet or is it all still dead?

Engine worked, no hazards wiper lights and horn, Lights and horn work without the key in. Radio and heater works.

Unfortunately while troubleshooting I managed to blow something and now engine doesn't start.... It popped from the back of the engine somewhere it sounded.

Dash lights are on showing no problems....

So annoying.

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down