Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grrrr, sliding door handle hassles

+4
PFM
rich the mechanic
kentgpz11
sammyboy
8 posters

Go down

Grrrr, sliding door handle hassles Empty Grrrr, sliding door handle hassles

Post by sammyboy Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:59 pm

So, I decided to replace my two broken sliding door handles pre the MOT. Got the new set, got the door cards off etc, removed the set screw, and of course dropped it into the door skin. Couldn't find a way to get it out, but I thought, at least I can figure out how to fit the new one. No dice. The old handle only has one screw holding it on, and the new one has two screw holes. One lines up with the old one, but the other lines up with a bolt in the door skin (see pic). What gives?

Grrrr, sliding door handle hassles IMG01301-20120212-1636

Also, the plastic grommet where the wire for the door release is supposed to fit looks like it's in backwards. I can't see how they're supposed to go together. (see pic)

Grrrr, sliding door handle hassles IMG01303-20120212-1637

Finally, I can't make the little wire release the door no matter which way I push or pull it. I've had rather a frustrating time; can anyone see what kind of idiot I'm being? (aside from the sort who drops screws into door skins)?

sammyboy
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Grrrr, sliding door handle hassles Empty Re: Grrrr, sliding door handle hassles

Post by kentgpz11 Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:02 pm

That bolt in the doorskin is still fitted to the rivnut from the old handle, some penetrating oil & a good pair of grips, then remove as you did the top bolt. Wink

I find one of these very useful, as I have sausage fingers & drop everything. Rolling Eyes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2lb-Magnetic-Pick-up-Tool-Telescopic-Magnet-Extendable-/130577257589?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e6702d475#ht_500wt_969
kentgpz11
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Don't worry about dropping things I dropped my spanner in the door and had to use a bent coat hanger to get it out Kentgpz is right about the other bolt. the bit of wire should pull towards the back of the van to release the catch as for the clip not sure.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Note you don't actually need outer handles to pass the MOT as long as the door can be opened from the inside.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:48 pm

I find one of these very useful, as I have sausage fingers & drop everything. Rolling Eyes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2lb-Magnetic-Pick-up-Tool-Telescopic-Magnet-Extendable-/130577257589?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e6702d475#ht_500wt_969[/quote]

Thanks for that kentgpz, just ordered one.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:06 am

I was told the sliding doors had to be opened from the outside by emergency services to get people out for MOT....?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Grrrr, sliding door handle hassles Empty sliding doors

Post by bones 851 Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:37 pm

dont know how it works only one of my side doors opens from the out side although both open from inside, always have and ive never got round to fixing such, however van has passed MOT three years in a row ? strange ....... Question
bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Same here, maybe it's different though for an MPV as passengers shouldn't be in the back of a van with no seats.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Same with my MPV. One handle has never worked and one I managed to solve but it has passed the MOT like it over about 8 years. So I don't think there is much need to do anything about it unless they make a point of failing it.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:46 pm

For MOT on a van rear doors do not need to be opened but a MPV if there are no seats or belts it's the same as a van but if fitted, doors should be able to be opened from the outside BUT if the window is open and can be opened using the inside handle this is a pass and a lot of testers over look it as in a crash the fire service will cut/smash or both it is a little tester dependant like a lot of the test.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:41 pm

I've recently fitted 3 sliding door handles bought from the absent hijetparts.co.uk and treadmill doctor on ebay. Treadmill doctor gives very good service and includes bearings for the centre sliding hinge.

There are 2 problems with these Hu Shan handles. One, you need a washer round each bolt between the handle and the door, otherwise the plastic arm that moves the lever gets stuck against the door. Two, the little plastic clip that secures the actuating rod is too big for the rod, so you have to re-use the old one or give the new one a good squeeze with pliers.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down