Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Door Center Rollers

3 posters

Go down

Door Center Rollers Empty Door Center Rollers

Post by Aij29 Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi Guys
One of my side door rollers has collapsed,
How easy is it to remove the roller?
I`ve printed off the relevant page in the manual but i still can`t work it out,
(I`ve seen the repair kits on Ebay for £20)
But isnt it just a cartridge bearing??

Cheers
Adrian

Aij29
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Door Center Rollers Empty Re: Door Center Rollers

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:45 pm

I have only done the middle roller which is fairly self explanitry, door card off rear light off rear quarter card off remove the end cap and with the door supported unbolt the carrier and you can slide it out the back torx bolts to take the bearing off and then reverse.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 pm

I've always used Rich's method (though not sure why you'd remove the rear quarter card) but always felt there should be a way of doing it without removing the carrier arm from the door as it's a bugger to get it aligned proberly afterwards - get it right with a trolley jack, climb in the back to do up the bolts and....the van goes down on suspension!

Well, today I proved it - and it's a 20 minute job if you...

1) Slide door open to just before the retaining clip (this catches the lower roller and holds the door open rather than it sliding shut on you as you're loading/unloading)

2) Remove the retaining clip (single 8mm bolt)

3) Remove the rear lamp cluster and slide the plastic end-cap on the slide channel to the rear to remove

4) Remove the channel end-stop (2x 10mm bolts)

5) Supporting the door with a handy mate (or if you don't have any handy, trolley jack and block of wood), slide it fully open and out at the bottom so the lower roller comes free, then slide it some more until the top roller won't go any more

6) Ease the carrier out of the channel (it is tight, but doable)

7) Undo the bearing support bolt (T30 torx), take off the spacer, remove any traces of the old bearing, fit new bearing and replace spacer

Cool Reassemble, cleaning and greasing all moving parts

9) Open beer

Now, can anyone tell me where my 10mm socket went when it came off the extension bar and dropped inside the door when I was fitting a handle???????????

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm

right first I can't remember why the rear quarter card came off it may have been me just looking for the cap retainer before I took the light off, as for the socket you need to get a special tool from the wardrobe a wire coat hanger bend it so you have a hook on a handle the socket will be behind the shaping at the bottom of the door I dropped a 10mm spanner down there first time I had the door handle off and it was the only thing we found long enough and thin enough to snake round the back to hook it out.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Nice one, thanks. I have a similar special tool that I use when I lock the van with my keys still in the ignition, so can use that.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:27 pm

I had one like that but as I is a cluts I have a back up way of getting into my cars and even when I rewired my bike I done away with a normal key to one that I had to attach to me and came with if I got off.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Finally got round to looking for my lost socket today - my trusty telescopic magnetic pick-up tool came to the rescue yet again!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down